View previous topic | View next topic

Donkey

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

samivel
55887.  Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Poland's favourite sausage, kiełbasa, is made of pork, sometimes with the addition of veal.

Mmmm, lovely :)

suze
55895.  Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote

Yeah well, you would never eat the cheap sausages they sell in supermarkets if you spent too long thinking about what they were made of.

At least kiełbasa is made of recognisable bits of meat, and I happen to like it.

That flaki is well worth avoiding though - it's every bit as horrible as you think it's going to be! When my grandfather was an old man, he used to say that one reason he left Poland was so that he never had to eat it again, but a lot of Poles love it. (There were some rather more serious reasons to do with Europe in the 30s, Hitler and all the rest of it, but he never cared to speak of them.)

As for the donkey meat flavoured with tiger pee, I don't really think I want to find out ...

samivel
55898.  Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote

I was being serious, I love kiełbasa :)

dr.bob
55918.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
That flaki is well worth avoiding though - it's every bit as horrible as you think it's going to be!

Surely it can't be as bad as the Norwegian delicacy of lutefisk

suze
55944.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:30 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
I was being serious, I love kiełbasa :)

Sorry samivel. To reverse the sense of a line from Hitch Hiker's Guide - "they have sarcasm in Canada, and Suze sometimes failed to spot its absence!"

As for lutefisk, is that the one that consists of cod soaked in caustic soda? Anyone care to tell us what it's like ...?

dr.bob
55951.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:52 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
As for lutefisk, is that the one that consists of cod soaked in caustic soda?

That's the one :)

suze wrote:
Anyone care to tell us what it's like ...?

I thought I had posted this one before, but a search couldn't find it. Perhaps it was in a previous life. There's a first-hand account fo trying the stuff here:

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/ic/lutefisk.html

For those who haven't the time to read the whole article, the author begins by mentioning how important it is to drink plenty of "aquavit" (very strong alcoholic drink) before trying the lutefisk:

Quote:
To understand the relationship between aquavit and lutefisk, here's an experiment you can do at home. In addition to aquavit, you will need a slice of lemon, a cracker, a dishtowel, ketchup, a piece of lettuce, some caviar, and a Kit-Kat candy bar.

1. Take a shot aquavit.
2. Take two. (They're small.)
3. Put a bit of caviar on a bit of lettuce.
4. Put the lettuce on a cracker.
5. Squeeze some lemon juice on the caviar.
6. Pour some ketchup on the Kit-Kat bar.
7. Tie the dishtowel around your eyes.

If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk. Return to step one.

The actual experience is described thus:

Quote:
Lutefisk is pretty much what you'd expect of jellied cod; it is a foul and odiferous goo, whose gelatinous texture and rancid oily taste are locked in spirited competition to see which can be the more responsible for rendering the whole completely inedble.

How to describe that first bite? Its a bit like describing passing a kidneystone to the uninitiated. If you are talking to someone else who has lived through the experience, a nod will suffice to acknowledge your shared pain, but to explain it to the person who has not been there, mere words seem inadequate to the task. So it is with lutefisk.

And he concludes:

Quote:
I think my mistake was in using the dishtowel: you need to drink enough aquavit so you can't tell the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat with your eyes open

Campbell
55967.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:39 am Reply with quote

Quote:
The Cantonese are quite partial to a bit of donkey as well.

OK then.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2