View previous topic | View next topic

J Series elf requests

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
883393.  Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote

A place where the elves, who are currently researching the J Series, can ask you wonderful people to find things that we're struggling with. Feel free to tell us to bugger off and do our own dirty work...

ellylles says:

Quote:
In 1966 the javelin was thrown over 100 meters (328 feet) by a Spaniard who employed a discus style turn before the throw. This throwing style was deemed unsafe and subsequently banned by the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF).

I think that's rather nice, but can't find the name of the Spaniard in question, can anyone help? I found the fact again in "Materials in sports equipment, Volume 1" edited by Mike Jenkins (Google Books) but again, it just calls him "a Spaniard".

Strawberry
883395.  Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote

It says here that it was Felix Erausquin.

Last edited by Strawberry on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

eggshaped
883398.  Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote

You see. That's why I ask you wonderful people. Thanks so much, Strawberry.

And here he is on the IAAF website:

http://www.iaaf.org/community/athletics/trackfield/newsid=9427.html

suze
883402.  Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote

But hold on just one minute ...

Erausquin was 58 for most of 1966. Fine athlete though he undoubtedly was, would he really have been chucking a spear 112 meters at that age?

According to Spanish language Wiki, Erausquin had in his youth been Spanish champion at shot put, discus, and conventional javelin, and Vizcayan champion at hammer and triple jump. He was also eight times Spanish champion at barra castellana, a Spanish country sport in which one throws a metal rod of 75 centimeters in length.

There was a similar event unique to the Basque region called barra vasca, in which the rotational technique was allowed - and Erausquin seems to have been the first to think of applying this techique to the javelin. He broke the Spanish javelin record in 1957 using his new technique, but his throw was a "mere" 81.76 meters. (Still jolly impressive for a man of 49, it has to be said.)

But it was a younger man, one Miguel de la Quadra-Solcedo, who used this technique to chuck the javelin 112 meters. Sr Quadra-Solcedo had thrown the discus for Spain at the 1960 Olympics, so was already known to the world before he demolished the world's javelin record in 1966. Still alive, and became a well known journalist.

I can just about read Spanish by pretending that it's French, and that's what I've done here. egg, I can get my tame Spanish translation unit on the case if you need to go to further sources.

CB27
883412.  Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote

This set of pictures suggest Felix Erausquin wasn't a young man in his prime:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/assets/temp/javelin.jpg

Frilanders
894960.  Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote

Erausquin and a couple of countrymen were in fact - secret - challengers to the Olympics of Melbourne as early as Nov. 1956. But due to an unfortunate "outing" of the secret style by one of the Spaniards in Paris 1st October, IAAF came to know about it. And efficiently stopped it by changing the rules.

I wrote about this in a Norwegian newspaper on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of my countryman Egil Danielsen's gold medal in the javelin competition in Melbourne.

Google translator will give you an idea of the facts:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i8FXzdOhGRhGVWlbgHDLVG3yifsisABVuNGChmpqMi4/edit

Page 1 of 1