View previous topic | View next topic

Louise Brooks on Morality/Reality in Cinema

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

'yorz
899802.  Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Louise Brooks on the outrage that followed the release of Pandora’s Box:

“Besides daring to show the prostitute as the victim; Mr. Pabst went on to the final damning immorality of making his Lulu as “sweetly innocent” as the flowers which adorned her costumes and filled the scenes of the play…So it is that my playing of the tragic Lulu with no sense of sin remains generally unacceptable to this day. Three years ago, after seeing Pandora’s Box at Eastman House, a priest said to me, “How did you feel? Playing that girl!” “Feel? I felt fine! It all seemed perfectly normal to me.” Seeing him start with distaste and disbelief, and unwilling to be mistaken for one of those women who like to shock priests with sensational confessions, I went on to prove the truth of Lulu’s world by my own experience in the 1925 Follies, when my best friend was a lesbian and I knew two millionaire publishers, much like Schoen in the film, who backed shows to keep themselves well supplied with Lulus. But the priest rejected my reality exactly as Berlin had rejected its reality when we made Lulu and sex was the business of the town.

At the Eden Hotel, where I lived in Berlin [while filming Pandora’s Box], the café bar was lined with the higher-priced trollops. The economy girls walked the streets outside. On the corner stood the girls in boots, advertising flagellation. Actors’ agents pimped for the ladies in luxury apartments in the Bavarian Quarter. Race-track touts at the Hoppegarten arranged orgies for groups of sportsmen. The nightclub Eldorado displayed an enticing line of homosexuals dressed as women. At the Maly, there was a choice of feminine or collar-and-tie lesbians. Collective lust roared unashamed at the theater. In the revue Chocolate Kiddies, when Josephine Baker appeared naked except for a girdle of bananas, it was precisely as Lulu’s stage entrance was described by Wedekind: “They rage there as in a menagerie when the meat appears at the cage.”

I revered Pabst for his truthful picture of this world of pleasure which let me play Lulu naturally. The rest of the cast were tempted to rebellion. And perhaps that was his most brilliant directorial achievement-getting a group of actors to play characters without “sympathy”, whose only motivation was sexual gratification.”

What great spirit this woman had. And what prose.

Sadurian Mike
899807.  Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote

Sounds like an exciting place, fabulously sordid and unashamedly sexual.

I bet the local pharmacies did a roaring trade.

djgordy
899828.  Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:

What great spirit this woman had. And what prose.

Good haircut too.

tetsabb
899847.  Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote

The Haircut.

Someone I had not really heard of, but a quick look at a wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Brooks suggest she was quite a lady, apparently way ahead of her time in terms of independence and attitudes to .. <ahem> .. Things of a Personal Nature.

Efros
899902.  Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote

Makes me think of Mirelle Mathieu,

Whom I was mildly besotted with in the late 60s

Bondee
899906.  Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote

Reminded me of Corinne Drewery from Swing Out Sister...

...who looks remarkably like my mate's 13 year old daughter in that picture.

Ameena
900036.  Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote

Reminds me more of Audrey Tatou...

djgordy
900089.  Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote

Variants exist throughout the galaxy.

'yorz
900090.  Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote

Doffcock Rules OK ;p

Ms Brooks will no doubt spin in her grave, having her hairdo discussed of all things.

djgordy
900091.  Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:07 am Reply with quote

She should be used to it by now.

Ameena wrote:
Reminds me more of Audrey Tatou...

This is Audrey Tatou doing her Louise Brooks looky-likey.

Bondee
900158.  Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote

<pedant>
Audrey Tautou
</pedant>

'yorz
900160.  Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote

<Guesses cock has been doffed beyond repair>

Arcane
900161.  Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote

The hair also features with Essie Davis in Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

Those cheekbones...gorgeous.

Spud McLaren
900166.  Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote

Standard '20s bob, isn't it?

'yorz
900169.  Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote

Et tu, Spude?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next