View previous topic | View next topic

Disgusted

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Celebaelin
55881.  Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
I don't see the connection, that thread seems to be the aftermath of an online argument.

I was hoping someone like Suze might be able to add some information.

Should I have left out the introductory sentence?

I would recommend that you read the exchanges which culminated in that post but MH deleted them all before denying us the pleasure of her company so you can't.

gerontius grumpus
55883.  Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Oh I see, thanks.

Gaazy
55906.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
Oh I see, thanks.

I don't. I've evidently been missing something rather dramatic through not visiting the site as often as I ought.

Celebaelin
55919.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote

Toys out of prams stuff really "This is an outrage, call me a taxi!" "OK, you're a taxi." I didn't comment at the time myself because MH and I had had an exchange in the Drink thread that became somewhat tense so I thought it best to leave well alone. After her brief absence however she returned to exhibit her wisdom on a broader footing and the 'two dots' post editing phenomenon was the ultimate result of that.

Departing from the gracious if somewhat sarcastic lead set by our admirable moderators I will say that it's a shame, but in a selfish way I was gratified that it wasn't just me who thought her to be an opinionated prima donna. In the end she wouldn't and probably couldn't bring herself to come to any sort of compromise, not even that of a chilly (if not chilled) civility prefering instead a barely concealed hostility with a heavy handed dash of persecution complex.

gerontius grumpus
55990.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 am Reply with quote

Back on thread, thanks to Suze for the useful information.
Quite interesting, I thought.
The immaculate and maculate bit was good, it explains the specific name 'maculata' which crops up in taxonomy.

can anyone else add any more information along these lines?

samivel
56011.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote

Well, I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're after, gg, but the word 'peccable', meaning 'liable to sin', is much less common than 'impeccable'.

tetsabb
56020.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote

And yet we have our old faves, inflammable and flammable. What a weird lingo we speak, innit?

eggshaped
56022.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote

Safe, tetsabb. Westside.

suze
56024.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
And yet we have our old faves, inflammable and flammable.

Oh are they old faves? Must have been before my time!

Did we come to the conclusion that "flammable" was a made-up word, devised by Health and Saftey types just in case anyone thought that "inflammable" meant something that wouldn't explode?

gerontius grumpus
56027.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote

I have always understood that they both mean the same.
Inflammable- from inflame. Flammable- from flame.

Inflammable was the slightly better word but it has now been banned because it might appear to be the opposite of flammable.

Gaazy
56038.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote

You can have a lot of fun with words which have had the (often only apparent) negative prefix taken off- like gruntled, chalant, evitable and so on - here's a little masterpiece from The New Yorker....

gerontius grumpus
56327.  Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote

Very good but furl / unfurl doesn't quite fit because they are both still in use.

Pyriform
57975.  Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:10 am Reply with quote

We have talked about this sort of thing before, in the not ruth thread.

suze
57981.  Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:22 am Reply with quote

So we have - before my time ...

So atoms should really be called "toms" - since they can in fact be divided. Since "tom" also means "a gentleman cat" and "a prostitute", the possibilities for doubles entendres in serious Physics Journals are endless ...

And didn't Sir Humphrey (Yes Minister) once use the word "ert", as the alleged opposite of "inert"?

gerontius grumpus
58194.  Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote

I 've just looked at the old 'ruth' thread and I must take exception to the 'anaemic/naemic entry.
Surely the opposite of anaemic would be haemic.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next