View previous topic | View next topic

Franz Schubert

Page 1 of 1

Graham Spragg
879609.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote

According to QI's "H" annual book, there is a quiz on either page 11 or 13, that mentions about Franz Schubert, and that he died in 1826. However, it does not say how he died.

I have 2 other sources (With the exclusion of Wikipedia) which tell me that Franz Schubert died in 1828.

I'm curious to know how he died. If it really is true, I'd be quite interested to know how, and perhaps reference this information in academic writing.

Please help me out if anyone knows.

Graham :)

soup
879694.  Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote

From :- http://www.notablebiographies.com/Ro-Sc/Schubert-Franz.html#ixzz1kGVr9Ccp

On November 11, Schubert began suffering from nausea and headache. Five days later the doctors diagnosed typhoid fever (a bacteria-caused disease marked with fever and the swelling of intestines). He died on November 19, 1828.

Jenny
879912.  Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote

Ah - another one for the increasingly mythical retractions special...

Graham Spragg
880025.  Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote

But the "H" Annual Book from QI says it was 1826. I thought QI was supposed to disprove general knowledge, hence "general ignorance". Unless, the page mentioning this happens to have a misprint.

otyikondo
880040.  Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote

http://www.ericsams.org/sams_schubertillness_eng.htm

This argues without much urgency on behalf of the syphilis/mercury poisoning alternative.

soup
880105.  Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote

From that site:-

and died of typhoid fever in November 1828,

He may well have had syphilis or even mange or WHY but he died of typhoid fever.

binarynumber
1045032.  Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Graham Spragg wrote:
But the "H" Annual Book from QI says it was 1826. I thought QI was supposed to disprove general knowledge, hence "general ignorance". Unless, the page mentioning this happens to have a misprint.

I find Britannica to be reliable and on their website, it says he died on November 19 1828, in Vienna.

http://britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/528336/Franz-Schubert

There's a book called "The life of Franz Schubert: Translated from the German of Kreissle von Hellborn by Arthur Duke Coleridge. With an appendix by George Grove. In 2 Vol, Volume 2" from 1869, which now is Public Domain, so it's possible to download for free.
On this book, also says he died on November 19 1828.
Here are some excerpts from it (on the cause of death):

Page 139:

"On November 11, Schubert's increasing weakness compelled him to keep to his bed. He felt, he said, no actual pain, but sleeplessness and depression reduced the once strong and healthy man to a state of great misery."

Page 140:

"On the evening the 17th, he raved more continuously, having hitherto suffered only at times and slightly from mental wanderings."

Page 1 of 1