Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Spoilt Victorian
879392.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote

No band was better than The Ramones.
That is a FACT.

~ V

soup
879394.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote

The Smiths were the greatest band in the world... to slash your wrists to.

Last edited by soup on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

soup
879395.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote

Spoilt Victorian wrote:
That is a FACT.

~ V

Can't accuse you of being D.U.M.B.

AlmondFacialBar
879398.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote

Every half normal person knows that R.E.M. were the gr8est band EVAH and your all stoooooopiiiiiid!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!

Serious aside - it still feels weird to talk about them in the past. :-(

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Spoilt Victorian
879418.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote

soup wrote:
Spoilt Victorian wrote:
That is a FACT.

~ V

Can't accuse you of being D.U.M.B.

Everyone's accusing me! ♪♫

Bondee
879499.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote

joeontheland wrote:
Discuss!

Look at me! Aren't I controversial!

NinOfEden
879517.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote

joeontheland wrote:
Discuss!

MAKE ME.

Gavin
879543.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Strawberry wrote:
Gavin wrote:
Who are The Smiths?

Here is a link.

I looked.

I'm going to say, that no band that started in the 80s, 90's and 00's can be said to be the best band ever. They don't have anywhere as near as much talent as groups or solo artists from the 50's and 60's.

The most successful groups I know of were "Cliff Richard & The Shadows", "The Beatles", "AC/DC", "Queen", and "Metallica". I don't know whether "Metallica" started in the 70's or 80's. The most successful solo artists I know of are Elvis Presly, Cliff Richard, Roy Orbison, Shirly Bassey, John Farnham, Slim Dusty & Michael Jackson. There is only one of those solo artists that started in the 80's (Michael Jackson) and possibly one group that started in the 80's (Metallica).

Elvis Presly had even called Roy Orbison as the best singer of all time, adn meant it. Roy could hit at least 5 notes on the octave. Cliff Richard could hit about 4. A good singer usually hits 3 notes on the octave.

A lot of artists I hear today are lucky to hit 2 notes. That's my argument.

Strawberry
879554.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Metallica formed in 1981.

Anyroad, people are always going to have their differing tastes and opinions so i don't see the point of labelling any band as the best ever.

Bondee
879557.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote

Strawberry wrote:
Metallica formed in 1981.

And Michael Jackson's solo career began in 1971.

joeontheland
879586.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote

anyone heard of a band called the sound from the 80's

exnihilo
879592.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote

Am I completely misunderstanding something? Surely a good singer will have a range spanning several octaves...

And don't even get me started on how ludicrously subjective those lists of 'greats' are. I mean really don't because I honestly would not know where to start.

gerontius grumpus
879604.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote

Oh deary me.
Looking through this thread I'm wondering if we will have to wait for series O or S to resolve this pointless argument.

AlmondFacialBar
879610.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
Oh deary me.
Looking through this thread I'm wondering if we will have to wait for series O or S to resolve this pointless argument.

M for Morrissey or Marr?

As for talent in general, that's been distributed pretty evenly through the decades. And if we really want to do the pointless teenage your-favourite-band-sucks-and-I-listen-to-bands-that-don't-even-exist-yet-ain't-I-cool thing here, well - Metallica suck on more levels than I feel ready or able to count right now.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
879612.  Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote

joeontheland wrote:
anyone heard of a band called the sound from the 80's

Heard of them, yes - they were a post-punk band from the early 80s, but never enjoyed much commercial success. A minor claim to fame is that they once headlined a bill on which one of the support acts was a young Irish band with strange haircuts. Wonder what ever happened to "U2" ...

Defining the "most successful" acts ever is tricky, because we have to define what the question means. Even if we say that it means "sold the largest number of records" it's not straightforward, because the counting has not always been especially scientific.

The US has published reasonably accurate sales certifications since 1942, but in Britain the figures were little better than guesses until the early 70s. This does mean (for instance) that no one has a very good idea of how many records Cliff Richard sold, since his commercial success has been mostly in the UK.

In some parts of the world, sales figures are still little better than guesses. China and India are obvious examples, but some parts of Europe too.

Anyways, FWIW, the following are the ten solo artists with the largest verifiable sales: Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Elton John, Mariah Carey, CÚline Dion, Whitney Houston, Billy Joel, Phil Collins, and Frank Sinatra.

For bands and groups, the top ten are: The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Abba, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Bee Gees, U2, and Aerosmith.

Last edited by suze on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next