View previous topic | View next topic

Best selling book of all time

Page 1 of 1

steveyc95
904045.  Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote

Hey (apologies if this is the wrong section but i'm new to this whole forum thing) I remember watching QI a few months ago on Dave and they said that the bible was not the best selling book, that it was a book of Formulas but i can't remember the name of it. The author would be great help too. It was one of my favourite facts and i wanted to tell my friends but keep forgetting it. Thanks.

djgordy
904052.  Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote

Was it Xinhua Zidian, the Chinese dictionary?

Strawberry
904053.  Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote

In episode 10 of series 5, it's mentioned that the best selling book in England in the 16th Century apart from The Bible, was a book of etiquette for children. The book was by Erasmus, who was a Dutch humanist and theologian. Also, welcome to QI.

Moosh
904055.  Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Memory suggest that the book was Euclid's Elements, which I guess if you count all the different translations and editions as one could well be the biggest seller.

When I saw "book of formulas" in the OP the BNF came to mind. It's not the answer to the question but I wonder how many they've sold. It must be quite a lot...

Strawberry
904058.  Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote

i just looked up QI on Wikipedia and it says that Euclid's Elements is the best selling textbook of all time; that was in episode 16 of the seventh series.

mckeonj
904060.  Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote

I believe that the book that is to be found in most households is no longer The Bible, but the Argos catalogue (which is not sold).

bobwilson
904090.  Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
I believe that the book that is to be found in most households is no longer The Bible, but the Argos catalogue (which is not sold).

Surely, the BetterBuy catalogue gets more coverage as they're delivered door to door?

bobwilson
904091.  Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
When I saw "book of formulas" in the OP the BNF came to mind

What's the BNF?

CB27
904102.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:

What's the BNF?

I don't know, what's the BNF with you?

:)

Moosh
904108.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:
When I saw "book of formulas" in the OP the BNF came to mind

What's the BNF?

The British National Formulary. It tells you about all the medicines that the NHS use. (Also the first result if you google for "BNF"). Every doctor, pharmacist and many other medical professionals will have copies, and it's updated twice a year. That's a lot of books.

steveyc95
904305.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the help but it was none of the above. I just remember it being something to do with mathematical formulas and i have no idea what series or episode as i never checked afterwards.

Bondee
904309.  Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote

It wasn't the Principia Mathematica, was it? From the Children In Need special with Terry Wogan.

I don't think it was mentioned at the same time as the bible, but it is a book of mathematical formulae.

Moosh
904386.  Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote

Whilst Principia Mathematica was an important book, I can't imagine it was a bestseller.

But equally I can't think of any maths books apart from that and Elements that have been mentioned on QI.

Page 1 of 1