View previous topic | View next topic

The 70s. The Decade Of Bad Music Taste

Page 5 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Sadurian Mike
877792.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
djgordy wrote:
I believe that "poof" is the accepted spelling, as in "poofter".
You may be right, although at the time I merely thought that the "poof" spelling was the invention of southerners who couldn't pronounce the letter "u" properly.

Ah, how times have changed. Today's kids aren't full of these prejudices - they have their own.

I give you 'Jilted John' as exhibit A.

John definitely refers to Gordon (who, as we later find, is a moron) as a 'puff'. Therefore 'puff' was an accepted unacceptable word of the time if one wished to denigrate a love rival toying with Julie's affections.

AlmondFacialBar
877808.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Spud McLaren wrote:
djgordy wrote:
I believe that "poof" is the accepted spelling, as in "poofter".
You may be right, although at the time I merely thought that the "poof" spelling was the invention of southerners who couldn't pronounce the letter "u" properly.

Ah, how times have changed. Today's kids aren't full of these prejudices - they have their own.

John definitely refers to Gordon (who, as we later find, is a moron) as a 'puff'. Therefore 'puff' was an accepted unacceptable word of the time if one wished to denigrate a love rival toying with Julie's affections.

Which sort of makes clear that "puff" describes a straight man, no? As in otherwise the contingency wouldn't have arisen in the first place.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Spud McLaren
877819.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Which sort of makes clear that "puff" describes a straight man, no?
No. "John" is attempting to put Julie off Gordon by implying that he isn't up to the job.

I never thought I'd end up dissecting a '70s novelty song on an internet forum, but hey-ho...

AlmondFacialBar
877823.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Which sort of makes clear that "puff" describes a straight man, no?
No. "John" is attempting to put Julie off Gordon by implying that he isn't up to the job.

I never thought I'd end up dissecting a '70s novelty song on an internet forum, but hey-ho...

But where else would one do such a thing?

AlmondFacialBar

Spud McLaren
877828.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote

You have a point.

suze
877836.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote

soup wrote:
No idea what you are talking about Moosh he seems perfectly straight to me.

Ah, but his earring is in his "straight ear" (as indeed was Stephen Fry's for the whole two days that he wore one). Back in the day, everyone knew the rule* - so he couldn't possibly be gay.

* Except in Northern Ireland, which had its own rule. In Northern Ireland, one's straight ear was redefined as one's Protestant ear.

Gavin
877879.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Now then, Freddie Mercury. When we look back, it's just like oooobvious that Freddie was gay

Freddy Mercury was actually bisexual.

AlmondFacialBar
878021.  Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote

Gavin wrote:
suze wrote:
Now then, Freddie Mercury. When we look back, it's just like oooobvious that Freddie was gay

Freddy Mercury was actually bisexual.

Says someone who's actually misspelling him...

AlmondFacialBar

Gavin
878099.  Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote

I'm an idiot all right.

AlmondFacialBar
878101.  Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote

I don't think you're an idiot. I just think the spelling shows you're not very interested in Freddie, so I'm wondering where you get your idea about his sexuality from.

AlmondFacialBar

Gavin
878102.  Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Scientific study.

AlmondFacialBar
878103.  Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Riiiiiiight... :-D

AlmondFacialBar

djgordy
878164.  Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:

Having analysed the text of the aforementioned opus, I don't believe that the word "puff" is intended to imply homosexuality. After all, Gordon is going out with Julie. It is just, as someone suggested earlier, to suggest that he is not as manly as a lady might hope.

soup
878185.  Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Having analysed the text of the aforementioned opus, I don't believe that the word "puff" is intended to imply homosexuality. After all, Gordon is going out with Julie.

Now you are applying logic to name calling aka Never let the facts get in the way of a good story

djgordy wrote:
It is just, as someone suggested earlier, to suggest that he is not as manly as a lady might hope.

Camp/effeminate = Gay (in this case).

Have heard puff[1] to mean Gay but poof is much more common

[1] Pretty much interchangeably with poof

Iamtheelephant616
878261.  Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote

At first I was annoyed, because I think most of the best music came from the '70s, but actually, considering the bands that are considered the greatest, seemingly didn't do as well as they maybe should have, Led Zeppelin never getting to #1, for example, I think I can see te point, it's wasn't the decade of bad music, but of bad taste? :P As for the original point of the thread, I know that there was some pretty bad music in the '70s as with any decade, but I can't seem to think of any examples of the top of my head atm. :\

Page 5 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next