View previous topic | View next topic

The 70s. The Decade Of Bad Music Taste

Page 4 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

djgordy
877709.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I have this theory, which I have probably expounded on these forums before (and no, it's not the theory about brontosauruses).

My theory is that approximately 90% of everything is crap.

Unfortunately, the sci-fi writer Theodore Sturgeon already had the same idea.

www.oed.com/view/Entry/246938

Spud McLaren wrote:
No, indeed, and I'd have been very happy if I'd never heard The Stylistics either. However, I do think that the not-quite synchronised dance steps during the long phrases when not singing are particularly shit.

Pah! Heathen. The Stylistics were great.

AlmondFacialBar
877739.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote

Shit yeah, All along the Watchtower, he did fucking mind-boggling things to a guitar on that! Might have to put on the bootleg (translucent orange vinyl) in the very foreseeable. :-D

Re gayness, I remember the rumours re Limahl, but of course paid them no heed. Greek George sure looked straight to me, Irish George less so, but I was cool with that.

'yorz - that reminds me of a story my mom told over Christmas. She'd had to do business with a gay couple and didn't know what to make of their relationship (that was in the mid-1950s), so when she came home that night she asked her dad what it all meant. He had just started explaining it to her when my grandma burst in and roared "GUSTAV! You're corrupting our daughter with filth!" Being, from all I've heard, a rather more gentle soul then she was, he chose the conflictfree way out and stopped explaining. Come to think of it, of all her many and varied prejudices homophobia was probably the deepest sat and worst.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Spud McLaren
877743.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Pah! Heathen.
True.
djgordy wrote:
The Stylistics were great.
Not true.

suze
877744.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote

My mom was a bit like that. Of course she was aware of the concept, but she reckoned that it was very rare indeed and that she'd never met a gay man.

What's more, while she knew in theory what went where as regards gay men, she didn't believe that anyone outside California really had MM anal sex. Neither, indeed, did she believe that MF anal sex was anything more than a technical possibility that no one actually did. She wasn't a Catholic, y'see ...

Now then, Freddie Mercury. When we look back, it's just like oooobvious that Freddie was gay - the outfits, the moustache, the whole demeanor, and the band was called Queen FFS. And yet even Brian May claims that he didn't know Freddie was gay until the late 80s. I'm not entirely sure that I believe that, but I know that I had no clue!

Spud McLaren
877748.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
And yet even Brian May claims that he didn't know Freddie was gay until the late 80s. I'm not entirely sure that I believe that, but I know that I had no clue!
Really? As soon as I saw them perform it on TOTP I thought "He's a puff", 'cos that's how a 16-yr old lad thought in those days*. It didn't prevent me from liking either the song or the band.

* that's not how I'd think or express it now, in case anyone was wondering.

AlmondFacialBar
877749.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
My mom was a bit like that. Of course she was aware of the concept, but she reckoned that it was very rare indeed and that she'd never met a gay man.

What's more, while she knew in theory what went where as regards gay men, she didn't believe that anyone outside California really had MM anal sex. Neither, indeed, did she believe that MF anal sex was anything more than a technical possibility that no one actually did. She wasn't a Catholic, y'see ...

Now then, Freddie Mercury. When we look back, it's just like oooobvious that Freddie was gay - the outfits, the moustache, the whole demeanor, and the band was called Queen FFS. And yet even Brian May claims that he didn't know Freddie was gay until the late 80s. I'm not entirely sure that I believe that, but I know that I had no clue!

Just to make that clear - my grandma was the homophobe; my mom has no problem with gayness whatsoever.

Re Freddie, I've never believed Brian for one minute in that regard, and fuck knows why the rest of us didn't cotton on to it. I did kinda have him down as bi, though.

AlmondFacialBar

'yorz
877750.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote

Rock Hudson. Sayy no Moah. He only dared come out the day before he died. How incredibly sad.

Moosh
877754.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

It's amazing how people never consider these things. Rob Halford had been performing for over 25 years dressed like this before he came out and people were still shocked.

soup
877758.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:

It's amazing how people never consider these things. Rob Halford had been performing for over 25 years dressed like this before he came out and people were still shocked.

No idea what you are talking about Moosh he seems perfectly straight to me.

AlmondFacialBar
877760.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
suze wrote:

Because they do things differently in Metal Land? Rob Halford, after all, also saw it fit to publicly challenge Freddie on his manliness...

And while we're at it - why the fuck did it take Michael Stipe so long to stand up and be counted? I know he's a private sort of guy, but

a) everybody knew anyway
b) being out and proud to start with certainly would have gone better with the R.E.M. ethos

In short - huh?

AlmondFacialBar

djgordy
877771.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Really? As soon as I saw them perform it on TOTP I thought "He's a puff",

I believe that "poof" is the accepted spelling, as in "poofter".

Arcane
877772.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote

Wasn't "powder puff" an insulting term for a gay man once? I am sure I heard that.

djgordy
877776.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote

"Powderpuff" is a term used by Americans for sports divisions reserved for females playing more traditionally male sports, such as (American) football. So if you called a chap a "powderpuff" that might imply that he wasn't manly enough to take part in the male divisions of the sport but I don't think it was comonly used to refer to homosexuals (even though the inference might be there).

"Poofter" goes back to the early 1900s whereas "powderpuff", in the sense above, only goes back to the 1940s.

Spud McLaren
877781.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
I believe that "poof" is the accepted spelling, as in "poofter".
You may be right, although at the time I merely thought that the "poof" spelling was the invention of southerners who couldn't pronounce the letter "u" properly.

Ah, how times have changed. Today's kids aren't full of these prejudices - they have their own.

djgordy
877782.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:

Ah, how times have changed. Today's kids aren't full of these prejudices

Hence the number of happy. openly gay footballers we see every Saturday (or Sunday, or Monday depending on when Sky Sport order them to play).

Page 4 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next