View previous topic | View next topic

The 70s. The Decade Of Bad Music Taste

Page 2 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jenny
877529.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote

I have this theory, which I have probably expounded on these forums before (and no, it's not the theory about brontosauruses).

My theory is that approximately 90% of everything is crap.

As evidence for this, I adduce the entire top 100 of almost any year whose music you particularly enjoyed. I can almost guarantee that most of the music in the top 100 will have sunk without trace, cherished by a few but forgotten by most. The top 10 may be memorable, but what about the rest? Even in the top 10 many will have rarely played for years.

For example - here's the top 10 for today in 1968. I'd suggest only half of this top ten are really played or remembered much now, though they may be familiar to people who were hearing them at that time.

Spike
877541.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote

I wasn't listening to music in 1968, but I recognized 5 of that top ten as tracks I've heard.
Looks like Jenny's right!

suze
877544.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote

If that many! #1 is by The Beatles and hence gets played to death (despite not really being one of their better songs), #3 is an utter classic (originally written for the Kingston Trio, who chose not to record it), and #8 ain't bad. The others are unremarkable.

To prove Jenny's point even further. I noted above that many people consider the best music to have been that which was around when they were 15-17. So let's have a look at Canada's Top Ten as of my 17th birthday.

1 Corey Hart - Never surrender (He was from Montréal and did 80s power ballads. Little known in Europe.)
2 Harold Faltermeyer - Axel F (The proper version, with no crazy frogs in sight)
3 Duran Duran - A view to a kill
4 Katrina and the Waves - Walking on sunshine (And don't it feel good)
5 Paul Young - Every time you go away
6 The Eurythmics - Would I lie to you
7 Limahl - Never ending story
8 Sting - If you love somebody
9 Paul Hardcastle - 19
10 Cyndi Lauper - The Goonies r good enough

Not a memorable lot, are they? The inevitable Bryan Adams was in Heaven at #11, and Pete Burns was spinning right round (like a record) at #30. My dad and I may well have caused #4 into the house, and Cyndi Lauper made some good records of which that wasn't one. But I don't know that I'd have wanted any of the others.

Spike
877549.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote

Mmm. I remember 8 of those. But I would have been in that 15-17 age group when they were released.
I really loved Axel F at the time. Oh dear!

suze
877553.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's #1 and #10 that you don't know - they were the only two of the ten which were not also hits in Britain.

I remember all the songs - I doubt there is a Canadian Top Ten hit from the first half of the 80s that I don't know at all. But 27 years on, that particular selection of songs has not stood the test of time. Few other Top Tens of our youths will have fared a great deal better, I fear.

'yorz
877557.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote

The only one I don't know of the top 10 for today in 1968 is the last one.

AlmondFacialBar
877561.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
If that many! #1 is by The Beatles and hence gets played to death (despite not really being one of their better songs), #3 is an utter classic (originally written for the Kingston Trio, who chose not to record it), and #8 ain't bad. The others are unremarkable.

To prove Jenny's point even further. I noted above that many people consider the best music to have been that which was around when they were 15-17. So let's have a look at Canada's Top Ten as of my 17th birthday.

1 Corey Hart - Never surrender (He was from Montréal and did 80s power ballads. Little known in Europe.)
2 Harold Faltermeyer - Axel F (The proper version, with no crazy frogs in sight)
9 Paul Hardcastle - 19

Not a memorable lot, are they? The inevitable Bryan Adams was in Heaven at #11, and Pete Burns was spinning right round (like a record) at #30. My dad and I may well have caused #4 into the house, and Cyndi Lauper made some good records of which that wasn't one. But I don't know that I'd have wanted any of the others.

The Cindy Lauper one is excused by way of context, as in it was the Goonies title song. Re the rest - I remember Corey Hart well enough to now have I wear my Sunglasses at Night in my head, which I find rather unforgivable. Re the rest - I've still got two of them on 45, because I was 13 years old and driven by crushes, and I've still got all the others on tape as recorded of the radio (oh, those were the days). Oh yeah, and I've got Sting's first solo album on vinyl, that If you love Somebody was taken from. Except for the Limahl I'm really only embarrassed about 19, what the hell were we all thinking? And as it happens, I had every single one of those songs on a tape that I played to death on my Walkman in Vancouver that summer. Bar the Corey Hart that is, he was a one-hit-wonder this side of the Atlantic. Re the question if any of those were objectively good - Would I lie to you was of course, and Every Time you go away as well as If you love Somebody were ok. The rest range between of their time and total dross.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Spud McLaren
877563.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Float on isn't my sort of music at all - but The Stylistics had multiple hit records in much that style, so I don't know that we can really pick on The Floaters' only hit as particularly rubbish.
No, indeed, and I'd have been very happy if I'd never heard The Stylistics either. However, I do think that the not-quite synchronised dance steps during the long phrases when not singing are particularly shit.

'yorz
877582.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote

Why didn't the italics work in AFB's post?

Sadurian Mike
877588.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
For example - here's the top 10 for today in 1968. I'd suggest only half of this top ten are really played or remembered much now, though they may be familiar to people who were hearing them at that time.

I knew them all (and could hum the tune just from the title), but then I do like music of that era.

However, that doesn't really negate your theory. Much as I like music of the bygone days, I'd be the first to admit that much of it is pants. Including, I might add, many of the tracks that get played today and find their way into compilations.

Sadurian Mike
877589.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
9 Paul Hardcastle - 19

Not a memorable lot, are they?

1 and 10 I'd never heard of (I knew of the Goonies film(s?) but wouldn't recognise the title song).

I remember the others well, and would happily them in my playlist, although Sting is not my favourite solo artist and Paul Young always sounds flat and forced.

Last edited by Sadurian Mike on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

NinOfEden
877590.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote

I can't think of anythign particularly fantabulous from my mid-teens... in fact, that might have been one of the phases of my life in which I actively avoided pop music.

NinOfEden
877594.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Ohhh, I remember - Green Day! I still like Green Day.

Spud McLaren
877597.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote

I think that, as a (very) general rule, almost any song about a "new" dance craze in going to be a consignment of geriatric shoerepairers. F'rinstance:

The Soul City Walk

The Bump

The Macarena

The Twist, although his Let's Twist Again is a classic.

Sadurian Mike
877604.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote

The Locomotion?

It was even covered by Charlene Minogue.

Last edited by Sadurian Mike on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Page 2 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next