View previous topic | View next topic

Good day all!

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

ghoulie
877364.  Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote

I have to admit: I`m not really scandinavian (yet)... at least in my passport. I`m originally from northern Germany, but have lived in Norway for the last five years.

Spud McLaren
877369.  Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Welcome, ghoulie.

This was the first forum I ever joined too, 30 months ago. Haven't found the need to join another.

ghoulie
877371.  Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote

I sometimes suffer from insomnia so I started looking for a chatroom where someone would be online any time of the day (or night), but I only found dating sites or teens who talked about the latest Justin Bieber gossip. Then I remembered QI! Hurray!

Zebra57
877440.  Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote

Like Jenny I always thought it to be a traditional Cornish prayer.

From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!

A number of references quote it (probably wrongly) as Scottish in origin, maybe influenced by the wording that appears to be at first sight from north of the border.

zomgmouse
877650.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Welcome, ghoulie. Do you eat ghouliash?

AlmondFacialBar
877660.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote

Where ya from, Ghoulie? Bremerhavenerin here, though not living there either.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

soup
877668.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:

From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!

A number of references quote it (probably wrongly) as Scottish in origin, maybe influenced by the wording that appears to be at first sight from north of the border.

Certainly LOOKS Jockanese (Lalans nouns, Suze?), but I have never heard it.

suze
877672.  Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote

It does look rather like Lallans Scots, certainly. But while some sources want to credit it to Burns and at least one wants to credit it to Shakespeare (what!), most go with Cornwall. First published in 1926, but undoubtedly much older.

I have to say that it doesn't feel Cornish - and if it were, wouldn't you expect a mention of piskies? But I'm certainly not going to argue with Messrs Oxford!

As for goolies, which are not the same thing at all, they comes to us from Sanskrit. (guli = a ball)

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2