View previous topic | View next topic

Series D - Bungees never breaking

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
876638.  Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote

I remember in the "Danger" episode that Alan said that bungee straps/cords never break. Turns out they do.

Gavin
876655.  Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote

Oh my God! If I were her, I would not have taken the jump, because the bungee cord looked pretty beaten up.

suze
876676.  Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote

The good husband tells me that a bungee rope once broke with fatal consequences in the recording of a stunt for a TV show.

He doesn't know the full details, but the TV show involved Noel Edmonds, and the stunt involved performing a bungee jump from a crane. The guy who died was a (supposedly) randomly selected member of the public rather than a professional stunt performer.

Can anyone be more precise?

96aelw
876684.  Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Seems to have occurred on a programme called The Late, Late Breakfast Show in 1986.

suze
876686.  Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Alf. The name of Michael Lush rang bells with husband, so that is certainly the incident he had in mind.

Although in fact, the bungee rope didn't break. Rather, the carabiner came loose, thus sending man plus bungee rope plummeting to an horrible fate.

A health-and-safety-ologist tested the equipment afterwards, and found that fourteen times out of twenty the carabiner came loose when a mere bag of sugar was attached to the rope.

Further, an experienced bungee jumper told the inquiry that when he had done a similar stunt, he had used three separately rigged bungee ropes rather than one - so that even if two of them had failed, disaster would have been averted.

Clearly a monumental foul up and a human tragedy, but the bungee rope didn't break. As you were ...

aTao
876689.  Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote

Gavin wrote:
Oh my God! If I were her, I would not have taken the jump, because the bungee cord looked pretty beaten up.

The frayed appearance of the bungee rope is normal. The strands that you can see are the loose ends of ties that maintain a bundle of thin bungee cords as a single rope., I guess that many parallel cords are better than a woven or braided rope, and the best way to keep them together is to tie them.

Celebaelin
876862.  Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote

*Adopts condescending 'I told you so face' and re-affirms personal vow never to bugee jump or parachute off/out of anything whatsoever unless the alternative is near-certain death.*

Jenny
877155.  Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote

<stands shoulder to shoulder with Celebaelin on that resolution>

Arcane
877232.  Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote

If we were meant to do such things like bungee jump or jump out of planes,our umbilical cords would have evolved into stretchy ropes and our hair into parachutes.

Page 1 of 1