View previous topic | View next topic

Games for the blind. A challenge.

Page 1 of 1

Boris
869253.  Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote

In my rather trivial ways, I divide people into two categories: those who like games, and those who don't.
I am firmly within the first category. I like keeping my mind occupied.

The other day, I started thinking what I would do if I suddenly became blind.
All the games would be either very difficult or just plain impossible to play.
The prospect of total boredom terrified me.

I realised that there are no games for the blind at all.
I would like to issue a challenge to devise games that would be both not trivial and enjoyable.

Rubbit Cube
My first idea would be a Rubik's cube that instead of colours would have different textured surfaces.

The Black Box
How about this device based on mercury switches:

You hold in your hand a black box, with only one small bump on one of the faces to act as a reference point.
The box is gently beeping.
As you turn the box, the beep sound can change: Faster/Slower. Louder/Quieter. Higher/Lower Pitch.
The aim is to make the beep stop.
Maybe you could also have a way of reprogram the device via a wireless connection and a computer.

Flat Chess
Another idea would be Chess with flat pieces (like Shogi, for example) but with engraved symbols and a method to keep the pieces solidly in place (e.g., with pegs).

I wonder if you could think of other ideas.

Gavin
869259.  Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote

Good ideas, but I can't think of any.

zomgmouse
869319.  Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote

How about good old-fashioned word games of the oral variety, such as one word stories or "start the next word with the last letter of the last word", and so on?

Spud McLaren
869428.  Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote

Boris wrote:
I assume you mean parlour- and board-games? Otherwise there's football, cricket and darts, for a start.

WordLover
876191.  Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote

Boris wrote:
Flat Chess
Another idea would be Chess with flat pieces (like Shogi, for example) but with engraved symbols and a method to keep the pieces solidly in place (e.g., with pegs).
Indeed there are chess sets for blind people. In the ones I've seen, the pieces have their usual shapes, but black ones have an additional spike at the top.

Scrabble has been adapted for the blind. Each tile has the Braille for the letter and its face value. At the start of the game, the tiles are placed face down in the box lid, shuffled and then laid out face down in rows so as to indicate the sequence in which they must be drawn. According to the ABSP rules, when exchanging tiles, you choose which of your tiles to exchange, but the Tournament Director then puts them back in the box lid, so that you don't know which tile went where.

Gavin
876256.  Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Boris wrote:
I assume you mean parlour- and board-games? Otherwise there's football, cricket and darts, for a start.

I would never trust a blind person throwing darts. Who knows what hell could break out.

Posital
876324.  Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote

Oh dear. Just take any game and supplement any necessary visual element with another sensory input. It's not rocket science.

What games are you struggling with?

dr bartolo
876329.  Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote

I have seen braille playing cards,with the values and suit signs embossed on the cards.

Boris
876412.  Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Oh dear. Just take any game and supplement any necessary visual element with another sensory input. It's not rocket science.

What games are you struggling with?

Mmmm. No need to be so patroninsing.

Well, I play Chess and Go (4 Dan).
I guess it would be possible to add texture to the stones and you'd need also pegs to keep them in place.

Other games I play are "Ticket To Ride", "Puerto Rico", "Zooloretto", "Carcassonne", to name a few.
I fail to see how you could "supplement any necessary visual element with another sensory input" in a way that would be practical for those either.

"Supplementing any necessary visual element with another sensory input" does not mean the game would remain feasible or fun.

I short, I think Posital's proposal is more wishful thinking than actual thinking.

Yes, in some cases it may work.
But if you're talking about seriously complicated games, I think you'd probably have to create them from scratch, where tactile and auditive memory would play a huge part.
The challenge would be to make then competitive, non-trivial and (most of all) fun.

Boris Patronisingus Maximus

Page 1 of 1