View previous topic | View next topic

Theme tune plagiarises Skyhooks' song

Page 1 of 1

hfinger
876948.  Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Listen to the Skyhooks' song "All my friends are getting married" (80s Australian soft rock group). Ain't the similarity to the QI theme tune uncaanny? I have informed the Australian Performing Rights Association, so let's wait until we see what they think!

Spud McLaren
876949.  Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote

There's a similarity in the respective beginning phrases, but there the resemblance ends. Even the rhythms are different; one's a rock 4/4, the other's a reggae 4/4.

Think of all the tunes ever written; they're all produced from different combinations of the same 12 notes, unless the composer was a serialist (comparitively, not a common occurrence).

CB27
876985.  Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote

I doubt the APRA will do anything, the tunes are not that similar when listening to them side by side, and Howard Goodall is a respected composer of many tunes which makes it less likely he'd want to plagiarise anyone for a theme tune to a show no one knew would do so well.

monzac
876988.  Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote

hfinger might be interested in this thread.

exnihilo
877031.  Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote

And as Stephen said, "Imagine a piano keyboard, eighty-eight keys, only eighty-eight and yet, and yet, hundreds of new melodies, new tunes, new harmonies are being composed upon hundreds of different keyboards every day ... in Dorset alone."

djgordy
877066.  Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote

hfinger wrote:
Listen to the Skyhooks' song "All my friends are getting married" (80s Australian soft rock group). Ain't the similarity to the QI theme tune uncaanny? I have informed the Australian Performing Rights Association, so let's wait until we see what they think!

I have the Skyhooks album "Ego is Not A Dirty Word" which contains that particular song. I can't say that there is any similarity whatsover between it and the Q.I. theme song that is greater than the similarity between a wasp and an eagle based on the fact that they both fly.

I suppose if Skyhooks did sue Q.I. for plagiarism then the New York Dolls/Kiss could sue Skyhooks for ripping off their "dress outrageously and play music loosely based on the Rolling Stones" image.

The album is great though; chock full of great choons. I particularly recommend "You Just Like Me 'Cos I'm Good in Bed"*; a song which lead to some embrassment when I put in on a tape for my girlf and she played it in the car when some of her friends were there too.

*Which had been on their first Aussie album but was put on the international release of "Ego".

Page 1 of 1