View previous topic | View next topic

twirling ballerina advert

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

'yorz
874924.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote

Yes, I recognise the shapes, only I see them in negative. Never happened before - usually after the 2nd time of zooming in slightly sideways I was able to mentally push the hollows up and see the true shapes. But now I can't.
That's old age for you. Have no other explanation for this.

RLDavies
874926.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote

We've discussed the ballerina before. It's essentially the same illusion as a rotating Necker cube, just using a human figure to make it more interesting.

Which way you initially see it rotating has nothing to do with handedness or any sort of brain hemisphere dominance.

It might be interesting to investigate whether the perceived rotation is influenced by whether you normally read left-to-right or right-to-left languages. That's the only thing I can think of that might bias people toward seeing a left or right facing.

'yorz
874928.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote

That's odd - just had another look at the ballerina, and now I can see ghost lines around her figure. They linger just for a few seconds and then disappear, making way for fresh ones at every turn of her body.

As for the cube - again, I can change the direction of the movement at will. Although it starts clockwise (I'm left handed).

soup
874955.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote

Despite what I said earlier I CAN now 'make her rotate either way'. The cube direction is trivial to change but the ballerina I have to 'work' at it. Can't see 'yorz's ghost lines though.

'yorz
874961.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote

You can't see them?! Just back from shopping, and now the lines are even stronger. Can it have something to do with my screen?
Difficult to describe - it's like those freeze frame shots of a long jumper that they do nowadays on sports programs: the entire screen is then filled with overlapping images of the jumber in that one jump; well, something similar is happening with the ballerina on my screen, and when she has come full circle it starts from fresh, the new lines covering the old ones.

soup
874974.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
You can't see them?!

Sorry mam. Even after washing my eyes out with bleach I can't see them, can't see much of anything actually.

'yorz
875011.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote

Had another peek - nope, she's still ghosting like mad. It must be my laptop screen then. But why would it do that?

Jenny
875061.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote

' Yorz - I saw that autostereogram in 'negative' as well (and I often find it hard to see those things at all). The Necker cube is resolutely clockwise though, and I'm right handed.

aTao
875153.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
You can't see them?! Just back from shopping, and now the lines are even stronger. Can it have something to do with my screen?
Difficult to describe - it's like those freeze frame shots of a long jumper that they do nowadays on sports programs: the entire screen is then filled with overlapping images of the jumber in that one jump; well, something similar is happening with the ballerina on my screen, and when she has come full circle it starts from fresh, the new lines covering the old ones.

Sounds very much like your computer has a problem rendering animated GIFs, what you describe seems to relate to misinterpreting the delta modulation from one frame to the next. It is normal to reset the entire image at the start of the animation loop. Note that not all animated GIFs use this, they instead save each frame as a whole image, the result is a larger file size.

aTao
875155.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Yes, I recognise the shapes, only I see them in negative. Never happened before - usually after the 2nd time of zooming in slightly sideways I was able to mentally push the hollows up and see the true shapes. But now I can't.
That's old age for you. Have no other explanation for this.

Most (all?) autostereograms have a virtual image space behind the real 2d image, meaning that to view them you focus beyond the presented picture, the opposite of crossing your eyes. If, on the other hand you cross your eyes instead of focussing wider then the image for the left eye will bee received by the right eye and vice versa, causing an inversion in parallax and a "negative" 3d image.

gruff5
875195.  Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote

soup wrote:
Despite what I said earlier I CAN now 'make her rotate either way'. The cube direction is trivial to change but the ballerina I have to 'work' at it. Can't see 'yorz's ghost lines though.

Yes, me too, i'm quite 'relieved' to be able to bend her to my will, as I was feeling quite impotent before.

I agree, it would be interesting to find out why any bias in rotation appears.

Perhaps a topic for Radio 4's "Material World: So, you want to be a scientist?"

Arcane
875202.  Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote

I can briefly make the cube go the other way, but then it's like my eye wants to make it only go clockwise and before long it's back again.

*only one of my eyes works properly; magic eye puzzles just don't seem to work for me, lack of binocular vision perhaps?

soup
875255.  Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Had another peek - nope, she's still ghosting like mad. It must be my laptop screen then. But why would it do that?

I seem to remember you had trouble with your screen before. Perhaps the refresh rate is far too low? Maybe your monitor has defaulted to some "get you home" type settings? Can you get into "safe mode" and set the screen from there . Windows safe mode is reached by hitting F8 as the system boots up but as you are on a laptop this MAY be a different key, some Googling and/or instruction reading for that I am afraid. Probably will be F8 as this is a Microsoft thing but 3rd party vendors may well have installed their own software.

exnihilo
875259.  Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quote

What a breakthrough. I've never been able to 'see' autostereograms until today, but that one on the first page just suddenly worked and now I can see them all even the animated ones, it's a revelation.

'yorz
875263.  Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote

Huzzah - the lady stopped ghosting. However - still only able to see the negative image.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next