View previous topic | View next topic

Christmas present

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

soup
873253.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote

I am so impressed with the DVD player eldest son got me for chrimbo. It is TINY (8" x 10" x 1") MUCH much much much smaller than the player we had. It is a dual DVD and Blu-ray player it also plays mp3s recorded onto discs and JPEGs burned onto discs, it will not display pdf files (Adobe acrobat) but then it would be a lot more expensive (beyond an apprentice's wages) if they had to include Adobe software (licensing costs etc)

Edited to add the wages bit

and a (very) minor typo

Last edited by soup on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:08 am; edited 2 times in total

Arcane
873257.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote

My best present this year has been The Big Bang Theory Season 3; it has my favourite ever episode, "The Einstein Approximation" on it. Even more favourite because Arcanette bought it out of her own Christmas money. I told her to spend any money she got on herself; so it was very thoughtful of her to do that.

Jumper
873266.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote

I got given boxed sets of season 1 of Catweazle, and season 2 of Blakes Seven.

But the bestest prezzie I got was a 'Yard of Jaffa Cakes'. (It's longer than your wish list, a Christmas stocking over-filler, lasts longer than turkey leftovers, and is taller than your average Elf, according to the sides of the packet.

cherrycoke
873268.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:38 am Reply with quote

They were even selling those yard of jaffa cakes packs here in saudi, was sorely tempted but the import markup was absurd.

I got one of these from my wonderful girlfriend

Granted, i picked it out so i knew i was getting it and she knew i would like the design.

Last edited by cherrycoke on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:51 am; edited 2 times in total

swot
873277.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote

We ended up with a third Fry Chronicles (although one was a Proms raffle prize, so there's only two now) and three Russell Howard DVDs. Any takers?

Ameena
873297.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote

Lol, I got one of those massive Jaffa Cake boxes for my BDay/Christmas prezzy from a friend of mine last week. Haven't started eating them yet - I'm working through my selection boxes first (one Cadbury, only got the Caramel left, the other Galaxy, which I've not yet opened). I also got some other cool stuff, like Portal 2 and an Eddie Izzard boxset :D.
Me and my dad also got each other the same present (a Time Vine DVD) but I kept my receipts so I'll just take mine back to HMV and swap it for something else :).

Jenny
873337.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote

If nobody else wants it, I'd love the Fry Chronicles, swot (book I assume, not DVD - I can't play UK DVDs).

I got a couple of good CDs from my older two children, and a slanket (blanket with sleeves) plus some hair stuff. from my youngest and his wife. Woodsman got me an iTunes voucher (already used it to download a couple of albums I wanted) and something else that's on its way apparently. My stepdaughter got me a rotating photo frame for pictures of the new granddaughter when she arrives, and I got a nice handbag-size notebook from my daughter-in-law's parents.

swot
873349.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote

Paperback, so cheaper to send than a hardback. PM the relevant details and I'll send ASAP. It's a good read.

strawhat
873366.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote

I asked mainly for money this year, as I told everyone I was saving up for a HTC Wildlife S, which I have bought today. My mum got me loads of smellies, especially a huge carry case full of Soap and Glory. I also got a lot of alcohol, so I can be pissed, but smell lovely!

tetsabb
873371.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote

strawhat wrote:
I also got a lot of alcohol, so I can be pissed, but smell lovely!

Be careful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF8U_v6S120

Mmm that smells nice!

Ian Dunn
873373.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote

One of my Christmas presents was the QI Board Game. Having played it I would say it is best played with as many people as possible in order to make it last longer and get the most from the klaxoning and chance cards.

'yorz
873374.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I received a slanket, too. There's no way I will don that silly thing. For one, if you get up your arse catches a cold, and secondly, I cannot sit still for very long, tend to get up and do/grab something, so this stupid garment would be very much hampering me in my movements.
I am pretty sure I will take the scissors to it before long, cut a long slit in the middle, and turn in into a zebra-patterned fleecy poncho. <shudders when typing zebra>. I can see myself giving it a pitchblack Dylon treatment.

Last edited by 'yorz on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

strawhat
873376.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote

I got one as well, another present from my mum. It's a change from a pair of pyjamas, nice to lay on the settee with after a bath. And I can have warm arms while reading, or playing on my DS. She did think it was vaguely hilarious when she gave it me though.

Gavin
873395.  Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote

I got a DS for Xmas, with "Pokemon Platinum". That made me very happy.

Jenny
873479.  Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote

I'm using my slanket for when I read in bed, as I don't wear anything in bed as a rule and it stops my top half getting cold.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next