View previous topic | View next topic

Infantile - New Zealand

Page 1 of 1

dhdgsn
874160.  Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote

Stephen stated that New Zealand and Australia were part of the supercontinent Gondwana and while this is true for Australia it is not true for New Zealand. New Zealand was a creation purely of volcanic activity. This explains why the vertebrate ecology is based solely on birds. Mammals only arrived at the islands with the advent of man in the Maori colonisation. Thus the kiwi occupies the same ecological niche as the hedgehog.

Posital
874195.  Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote

Gets my vote...

Spud McLaren
874241.  Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote

Contact Nanny Ogg!

Zebra57
874321.  Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Bats and marine mammals arrived on New Zealand prior to human occupation.

Posital
874407.  Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
Bat's ok. But you're counting beached whales? Wow.

PDR
874409.  Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
But you're counting beached whales? Wow.

Phil Jupitus, Jo Brand and Johny Vegas.

I make it three - what do you get?

PDR

Posital
874416.  Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote

Good call. Although I make it four - depending if you're watching on Dave. Oh my! Hasn't he lost weight.

PDR
874419.  Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:37 am Reply with quote

Unless it was a typo, in which case I bid "Pendine Sands" on the upper diagonal.

PDR

dhdgsn
875731.  Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:

Indeed! There are only two extant bat species and are referred to as "New Zealands only native land mammals"

http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/native-animals/bats/

Sadurian Mike
877391.  Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote

There's going to be a lot of unhappy seals who suddenly have interviews with immigration officers.

Purupuss
932979.  Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote

dhdgsn wrote:
Stephen stated that New Zealand and Australia were part of the supercontinent Gondwana and while this is true for Australia it is not true for New Zealand. New Zealand was a creation purely of volcanic activity. This explains why the vertebrate ecology is based solely on birds. Mammals only arrived at the islands with the advent of man in the Maori colonisation. Thus the kiwi occupies the same ecological niche as the hedgehog.

Am I allowed to say "state your source"? As a New Zealander I've been taught that we were part of Gondwana, and every "map" and animation I've seen of the breakup of the supercontinent confirms that. Yes, we are volcanic, but a lot of the flora that is found here has also been found on other lands that are known to have been part of Gondwana.

We broke away before mammals became established in their niche in the natural world, which is why our birds took on those roles (and bats - they behave more like mice). As David Mitchell said on the "Great" episode, our birds became evolutionarily complacent.

Page 1 of 1