View previous topic | View next topic

Are you scared of Robots?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Bakhesh
868028.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote

Apparently, in the 30's, there was a genuine paranoia that Robots were going to take over the world....

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2011/11/robot_hysteria_in_the_1930s_slide_show_.html

sally carr
868037.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote

I am scared of clowns.

Strawberry
868040.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote

i'm not scared of robots. i find them comforting.

djgordy
868047.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote

Bakhesh wrote:
Apparently, in the 30's, there was a genuine paranoia that Robots were going to take over the world....

What makes you think they haven't?

Neotenic
868050.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote

Does not compute. Does not compute. Does not compute.

Oh, what a giveaway......

PDR
868052.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote

I'm scared of Roberts - does that count?

PDR

Neotenic
868055.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote

Wooo-oooo-oooooo!

Southpaw
868057.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I am scared of clowns.

What about robot clowns?

soup
868063.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
I'm scared of Roberts

Nightmare factory for you then.

soup
868064.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote

sally carr wrote:
I am scared of clowns.

Scary crap then.

imaginer
868076.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Birth of Robot dancing I believe; http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ptnt_herbie-hancock-rockit-1983_music

or of course, Kraftwerk; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXa9tXcMhXQ

Robots are scary & paranoia about them is hardly confined to the 30's;

i Robot
The day the Earth stood still
Battlestar Galactica
Logan's run had a bad robot in it!
Turrican

Turrican was a great game from the late 80's early 90's & it was a huge platformer which our hero, Turrican has to battle through a mechanoid world.

I lump i Robot, with Will Smiths other paranoia films; Independence day & Men in Black.

It really disappointed me to see a return to paranoia films which we had thought had gone away with the cold war.

It was more disappointing to see Will Smith revive paranoia films, as the paranoia films of yesteryear came from a period in American history known for paranoia, including the paranoia that letting coloured people have rights was somehow going to lead to coloured people taking over...

Is this really ground that Will Smith wanted to rake up? Is it now... not ok to want to blaaast a coloured guy, but it's pretty cool to want to blaaast little green men from outer space??? or... robots...

Hell, I suppose Americans have gotta find something to blaaaast????

Sorry that really upsets me.

In the game Little Big Planet2 (LBP2), there is a level called "Factory for a better tomorrow". In this level we have to rescue "Sackbots" which are pretty cute :) (Rescue them in order to send them into battle later on in the game, narf! what's that all about, I only like rescuing)

I had recently played a game called Fallout 3 & the two games feature somewhat similar iconography & deal with some similar themes, but Little Big has fun funky music, is too short, but leaves us feeling upbeat. Whereas Fallout 3 is quite a morose long winded experience (Somewhat akin to watching a whole x-files box set), with a let down in the music department (Some good bits in there)

In Fallout 3, all the cars are broken! & the roads are in a state of dire disrepair, but I thought it would be great to be able to play a side game, where one would ride a motorbike along the broken bits of road with funky music playing. In LBP2 I made a level where I get to ride my motorbike across the top of the level, through water (Jet power) & I crash the finish, which tips over :)

Sorry going off topic somewhat.

Robots are scary, in Star Trek TNG (The Ningy Generation), they have Data & Star Fleet is not overly comfortable with him & they want to dismantle him, only with Picard standing in the way do Star Fleet have to back off.

Star Wars has the Cantina on Tatooine which has a “No droids” policy

In real life, we’d claim that robots are bad & responsible for poverty, if not for robots, then people might have a job in a factory paint spraying cars!

I think any sensible person would be scared of robots, but it’s all a matter of perspective I guess, & always remember “With our thoughts we make the world” Very important that one.

Bondee
868103.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote

imaginer wrote:
i Robot

I, Robot.

It's not the latest Apple product.

mckeonj
868110.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
imaginer wrote:
i Robot

I, Robot.

It's not the latest Apple product.

SSSH!
Walk away nonchalantly, maybe they didn't hear.

suze
868113.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Watch tonight's episode of QI. (Or tomorrow's, if you are one of those who prefers to watch XL.)

Then decide whether you are scared of robots ...

sally carr
868121.  Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote

I thought it was cute, I'm still more scared of clowns

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next