View previous topic | View next topic

The QI Board Game

Page 1 of 1

biologymiss
872893.  Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Recently bought this game and at first glance it looks really good and we sat down to play what we thought would be a version of the programme in our front room! The rules given with the game however just aren't like this and really don't make for an interesting game and it is simply the first person to reach 30 that wins and in theory that could be just by being a QM and never actually answering a question 'cos they said 'pass' each time.
We eventually played it as if it were the programme, i.e each game had the same question master throughout and they were in charge of the klaxon - sounding it whenever the klaxon answer was given. No penalty for any other wrong answer and credit for a correct answer being random [like the programme] by rolling one dice. No-one was allowed to PASS and had to give an answer. The QM had a playing piece and moved forward one square each go - thus limiting the game to 31 questions and whoever had the highest score at that point won. Questions were asked either by the colour of the square the QM was on and by using the dice as in the rules or just using one book each game.

Sorry elves, but while the questions are fine and we had fun with the klaxon answers, the rules with the game really don't work very well - unless we completely misunderstood them but I don't think we did.

Does anyone else agree or is it just me?!

Jenny
873107.  Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote

I haven't seen the game yet, but I do admire the creative way you and your family approached it. Welcome to the QI forums :-)

CharliesDragon
995793.  Sun May 12, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote

Come to think of it, I don't think QI is the sort of concept to work well as a board game. What I've found is great fun, though, is sprouting random facts I've learned from the show, either from memory or just bringing the book with me. It's lead to some interesting and funny conversations and certainly more in the style of the program than it sounds like the game was.

Sadurian Mike
995803.  Sun May 12, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote

We have the game but haven't played it. A read through the rules does make it clear that anyone looking for a game to mirror the TV programme is going to disappointed. In fairness, that was always going to be the case.

I like the way the OP has altered the rules to suit, and we'll probably do something very similar when we get around to playing it.

CharliesDragon
995881.  Sun May 12, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Depending on the players, I think involving alcohol in some way can make for an even more fun night. :P

(Also, am I being stalked? This thread was dead for over a year before I decided to give my input! Well, if I'm gonna have an internet stalked I guess Mike is prefereable to a lot of people.)

Sadurian Mike
995982.  Mon May 13, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
Depending on the players, I think involving alcohol in some way can make for an even more fun night. :P

Isn't that the case with so many board games....

CharliesDragon wrote:
Well, if I'm gonna have an internet stalked I guess Mike is prefereable to a lot of people.)

Oh how little you know me.

CharliesDragon
995992.  Mon May 13, 2013 4:40 am Reply with quote

We have not one, but two sets of drinking ludo here... Only played it once and I ended up licking the board because we spilled. At least I have a large number of shot glasses if that should be needed.

And maybe I have my own reasons to want an Internet stalker and I know you will fit my criteria. Ever think of that?

Sadurian Mike
996003.  Mon May 13, 2013 4:56 am Reply with quote

I hadn't thought of that.

I am available for all your internet stalking needs, as long as you aren't too difficult to follow.

tetsabb
996063.  Mon May 13, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote

I feel confident that the addition of alcohol may encourage some folk to tweak the rules to include some kind of clothing forfeit for klaxonable answers.

CharliesDragon
996156.  Mon May 13, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote

I'm now tempted to bring my QI book of general ignorance to the next party I'm going and include stripping for wrong answers, but as no one got my "why did Julia Roberts eat her mustache" question even with a 33% change just on luck, I have a feeling I would just be hated...

Assuming we ever get so far in the alphabet, one of the episodes in the X series should be X rated, but I have a feeling that wouldn't fly too good with the BBC. Well, if it were to be an all-male panel we wouldn't be able to see if they wore anything below the waist or not, so maybe it could be pulled off. Not that I have a great need to see Stephen naked again, it's just an amusing thought.

Spud McLaren
996157.  Mon May 13, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
Well, if it were to be an all-male panel we wouldn't be able to see if they wore anything below the waist or not, so maybe it could be pulled off.
Now, where do I start...?

Page 1 of 1