View previous topic | View next topic

Things that make you pause

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

NinOfEden
878366.  Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote

orablu wrote:
i can give you a long emotional and philisophical explanation of the meaning of the two empty coffee cups on the table next to me; that doesn't make it art.

Well, maybe it does. If you could put it on public display, You'd probably find plenty of people to appreciate it.
orablu wrote:

(edited in: this is not about tracy emin specifically.
more about stuff like this:

(she 's got tons of those statues of people standing beneath blankets, and gives a hundred explanations, most of which directly contradict each other. me, i think she just sucks at sculpting faces.)

Well, there's lots of different things it could represent. One person might look at that + think of it as a representation of isolation or depression, someone else might think it's of a person with a blinkered, self-centred worldview, it could be seen as being about oppression or lack of personal identity, + there's always going to be people who'll say 'Oh, it's someone with a blanket over his head. Ppppffff.'
Yeah, I'd say that was art.

Arcane
878396.  Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote

It's the artistic equivalent of the inblot test... I see a stressed housewife-type person who has literally drowned in her washing load/s and cannot take it any more.

Starfish13
878508.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote

She has very manly legs.

Someone changing out of their dookers at the beach without flashing the family in the deckchairs to the right.

AlmondFacialBar
878510.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote

NinOfEden wrote:
orablu wrote:
'yorz wrote:
I am even prepared to call Tracey Emin an artist.

i'm not.

but then again, i'm not a big fan of most modern "artists". to me*, art has to have/be one of two things:
- a display of skill
- a revolutionary idea. something new, that hasn't been done before, and that's properly original, that challenges and offers new perspectives.

Tracy Emin is actually very good at drawing, when you look at her plans + sketches + things; + when interviewd about her work, she can describe the philosophical/emotional meaning behind it. The works that get the most publicity aren't necessarily her best, or being interpreted properly by the media.

She's a classic example of having to know the rules before you can break them. And I absolutely happen to love the oh so controversial My Bed. As metaphores for depression go, it's one of the best.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

orablu
878518.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote

NinOfEden wrote:
orablu wrote:
i can give you a long emotional and philisophical explanation of the meaning of the two empty coffee cups on the table next to me; that doesn't make it art.

Well, maybe it does. If you could put it on public display, You'd probably find plenty of people to appreciate it..

well, yeah, that's exactly my problem. i could go on about how it represents the emptiness of our consumerism society, and how it's a symbol for the rushed and stressed time we live in, that'll drain us. like the coffee cup is drained.
and there'll be people standing around it, nodding, and saying "oh yeah, that's profound. that's deep, she's soooo right".
but actually, it's JUST AN EMPTY COFFEE CUP!

to me, a lot of modern art is just empty coffee cups.

orablu
878521.  Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote

NinOfEden wrote:

Well, there's lots of different things it could represent. One person might look at that + think of it as a representation of isolation or depression, someone else might think it's of a person with a blinkered, self-centred worldview, it could be seen as being about oppression or lack of personal identity, + there's always going to be people who'll say 'Oh, it's someone with a blanket over his head. Ppppffff.'
Yeah, I'd say that was art.

yeah, i can see what you're coming from, and this might actually not be the best example of what i meant, because really, this particular work does actually make a bit of a statement. but it's a statement that has been made too many times to count, and pretty much every artwork Debruyckere (the artist) has ever made looks like this; she has one piece that became popular, and then recycled it again and again and again.
though i'm slightly biased in my opinion of her; i had to study her work for an exam, so i'm a bit pissed off at her for that :D.

Spud McLaren
879024.  Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote

Looking at post 878835 on the Chitty Chatty thread, has orablu hit on something here? You can (1) standardise a process, and obtain consistent results that are acceptable to all; alternatively, you can (2) allow quirkiness to rule the day, and get variable results, some of which will be dross which are more than balanced out by others of undoubted quality. (2) is the art process; (1) isn't. There will always be those who prefer (1).

Myself, I prefer (1) for products like cars and washing machines, but (2) for music and painting.

'yorz
988012.  Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:15 am Reply with quote

Quote:
We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and — in spite of True Romance magazines — we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely — at least, not all the time — but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don’t see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.

— Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5