Series I, Episode 14: Idleness

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Just Say No To Vorderman
907916.  Tue May 08, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Well..what was all the fuss about?

Sadurian Mike
908052.  Wed May 09, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote

It wasn't anything to do with Clarkson's appearance on QI, which is why the pulling of the episode makes little sense.

It was all down to the fact that his remarks on another TV show were (willfully) misinterpreted, and the dear old BBC felt that they needed to do something to show how responsible they are.

elix
908750.  Sat May 12, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
It wasn't anything to do with Clarkson's appearance on QI, which is why the pulling of the episode makes little sense.

It was all down to the fact that his remarks on another TV show were (willfully) misinterpreted, and the dear old BBC felt that they needed to do something to show how responsible they are.

To be specific, Clarkson had made remarks on live TV about machine-gunning strikers and their families.

"Idleness" features Clarkson talking about how the only thing vets do is go around shooting animals, complete with bang-bang sounds and hand gestures (multiple gunshots each time, leading to Dara questioning the compassion of the vet if they're euthanizing them in groups and "popping 'em gang-styley"), and the next segment led into animal charities and funds getting more money than charities for old people, and then into a misunderstanding where someone seemed to be advocating merging care programs for animals and old people, leading to the natural conclusion: Jeremy Clarkson making a joke about euthanizing seniors the same way animals are (according to the comedy moment) euthanized in Clarkson's world: *boom boom boom*

I think the BBC was erring on the side of not appearing to be Quite Insensitive.

PDR
908759.  Sat May 12, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote

elix wrote:

To be specific, Clarkson had made remarks on live TV about machine-gunning strikers and their families.

To be both specific AND ACCURATE clarkson had made no references to machine-gunning anyone. In the course of an interview he had been asked to comment on the effects of the transport strike, and he had said it was wonderful because the roads were so clear (in a tone that was clearly non-serious). He then went on to say (in an equally and blatently non-serious tone) that as this was the BBC he was required to show balance so therefor it was obviously terrible and "the strikers should be shot, they should be taken outside and executed in front of their families" [these may not be the precise words, but it's near enough].

The trade-union morons decided to make an issue of it, illustrating clearly that the median IQ of trade union officials barely makes it into whole numbers (never mind multiple digits). Their case was that it is never acceptable to call for people to be shot, which is strange given the number of TU marches there have been with chants like "death to thatcher", or burning effigies of bankers.

Several internal and independant bodies have been asked to review the incident and they have ALL concluded that the remarks were (a) clearly, obviously and unambiguously a joke; (b) well within the bounds of the hyperbole that is common in satirical humour on BBC television; and (c) in no way something that warranted any kind of sanction or censure. Most of them went on to suggest that the said TU officials needed to grow up and stop being sunch a bunch of snivelling whiners (OK, I may have made that bit up but IMHO it was clearly the subtext of the findings).

The BBC was wrong-footed because it was (again) a slave to the sensibilities of the TU officials, largely because of the overwhelming left-wing domination of its editorial ranks. I hope they learned from this.

PDR

elix
908761.  Sat May 12, 2012 4:00 am Reply with quote

Oh, there may very well have been whining/oversensitivity in play. And, I hadn't seen the actual footage of Clarkson's comments, and I was just going on what I'd read. I'm not normally so lax on tracking down details like that, but I felt the whole matter (as in, pulling the episode because of Clarkson's unrelated recent comments, offensive or otherwise, only to throw the XL version up on iPlayer anyways until someone got into the office in the morning to pull it down) was silly, even if Clarkson's comments had been closer to the misreported distortion that I'd been fed. However, my apologies for mangling the details.

Teach me to be a pedant without actually doing the footwork to be certain about what I was being pedantic about... ;)

PDR
908818.  Sat May 12, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote

Apols, that did come over a bit aggressive and patronising when that wasn't my intention! I'm afraid I got rather pee'd off at the ridiculous posturing and general sanctomony (is that a word?) that pervaded the media at the time.

elix wrote:
Teach me to be a pedant without actually doing the footwork to be certain about what I was being pedantic about... ;)

Oh I think I could claim emeritus professor status in that subject myself!

PDR

Sadurian Mike
908833.  Sat May 12, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote

elix wrote:

Well, given that the episode in question was 'Idleness'....

PDR
908860.  Sat May 12, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote

ROFLMAO!

PDR

Ian Dunn
908875.  Sat May 12, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote

According to DigiGuide, the XL edition of Idleness will be on BBC HD at 22.30 on 24th May. I don't know about it being on BBC Two.

Confucius
908947.  Sat May 12, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
According to DigiGuide, the XL edition of Idleness will be on BBC HD at 22.30 on 24th May. I don't know about it being on BBC Two.

Nope, no word of Idleness XL yet.

suze
909045.  Sun May 13, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
sanctimony (is that a word?)

Yes, but it's not used a great deal.

The rather cumbersome sanctimoniousness is used practically as much.

hassan el kebir
909127.  Sun May 13, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote

I thought sanctimony was uncle saints 'pulling strings' to get nephew saints better things to be the saint of

exnihilo
909162.  Sun May 13, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Selling thins to be saint of, surely. I think you may be confusing simony and nepotism.

hassan el kebir
909198.  Sun May 13, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote

oh well, a valiant attempt at humour and I fall flat on my arse, again. I think I shall go back to being a miserable old scrote, it's safer ;-)

Sadurian Mike
909233.  Sun May 13, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote

I giggled.

But only a bit.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next