View previous topic | View next topic

Series I, Episode 14: Idleness

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

plach
870049.  Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Ian Dunn, thank heavens for YouTube. This was a good episode.

As others have mentioned, the Clarkson thing has been blown way out of proportion. As soon as it was revealed that he made his comments as a joke to 'balance' his other remarks, the uproar should have ended.

Yes there were remarks in the show about shooting, hanging and suicide--and not just by Clarkson. But they fit in with the humor/discussion at the time. I don't believe they should be edited out. That just gives more power to these media frenzies than is deserved.

"Idleness" was a Quite Interesting and sometimes funny episode. I love Dara and Ross, and Clarkson is just a character. I think that the real crime is that so many won't see it any time soon.

That means they will never learn that special use for knob cheese.

Or enjoy

**** spoiler alert*****
a rare episode where Alan wins.

I am so tired people with their own agendas turning minor mishaps into huge controversies. It is sad that the BBC over-reacted by pulling the show.

zomgmouse
870060.  Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
It hasn't been aired and it was briefly up on iPlayer accidentally but has now been taken down.

And the non-XL version?

Flash
870158.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
A slight slip on Stephen's part when he said 6 or 8 are the most likely numbers to get from rolling two dice. In fact the most likely is 7 ...

Moosh, I'm not really going to claim this as a rebuttal of your point, but I do have a micro-quibble to offer: "7" is actually less likely than "6 or 8" if you take "6 or 8" to have been achieved in the event of either a 6 or an 8.

There are 6 ways to throw a 7, 5 ways to throw a 6 and 5 ways to throw an 8 - so 10 ways to throw a "6 or 8". But thatt's a scuzzy sort of an objection, so take no notice of it.

Moosh
870173.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote

My first thought was to go back and check the original wording, but apparently the BBC have got youtube to remove the episode, so I can't.

But, based on my, admittedly far from flawless, memory, I think Stephen said something like "... if you roll a 6 or an 8, which are the most likely numbers to get", which I will raise in defence against your micro-quibble, but I of course concede that I didn't say that in my original post, so your reply was completely fair. And since I no longer have access to the episode, I can't check that my memory is in fact right, I don't know what the exact wording was.

Jenny
870174.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote

I'm glad I got to YouTube before the Beeb pulled those clips - there are after all advantages in being awake in the small hours UK time, apparently.

I thought it was a terrific episode - Ross Noble had me in stitches, and Dara is always, always worth listening to. I can see why the Beeb might have had a problem with Clarkson making jokes about shooting, but I do think the whole thing has been a sad over-reaction.

suze
870179.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote

You'll note that the BBC hasn't directed YouTube to take down all the other bits of I Series which are to be found there.

Which is odd really, because all those other episodes have yet to appear on Dave - whereas this episode has probably disappeared never to be seen again.

Yes, I know that the BBC is alleging that it will "be shown at a later date" - but until it tells us exactly when, I don't believe it. The BBC's silence on the Points of View forum - where there have been two separate threads asking just what's going on - has been deafening.

Bianco
870185.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote

So looks like it was this episode that made them catch up with Nickfromfullham. I'm surprised he lasted this long, considering he had practically every single panel show uploaded, as well as most of the Fry & Laurie and Mitchell & Webb stuff.

You could practically hear the collective cries of despair from British comedy fans abroad.

eggshaped
870189.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote

This is what was said:
Quote:
If you get a six or an eight, which are the most likely throws you’ll get from a double dice game, you’re going to land on one of those as you move out of jail. Which is rather appropriate, because Vine Street, Marlborough Street and Bow Street are all streets which have in common?

In the notes, we said:

Quote:
...two of the most common rolls...

So it was just one of those things that got a bit garbled in conversation - as would probably happen to all of us if all of our conversations were caught on video and posted on Youtube for a very short amount of time.

Flash
870199.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote

I thought at the time that Stephen might have had his head halfway in backgammon player mode when he said that; in backgammon, a 6 is easier to hit than a 7 because you can do so with a single die (and with a double 2) as well as by adding the pair together.

canadianQ
870209.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
So looks like it was this episode that made them catch up with Nickfromfullham. I'm surprised he lasted this long, considering he had practically every single panel show uploaded, as well as most of the Fry & Laurie and Mitchell & Webb stuff.

You could practically hear the collective cries of despair from British comedy fans abroad.

This just sank in. I am in a state of shock!

sjb
870222.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Nooooooooooo! It's thanks to NfF and other youtubers that I even got into QI. :(

Efros
870227.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Well fortunately I grabbed the vids before the takedown went through.

canadianQ
870277.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Undergoing pop cultural crisis. Do not own a television (well, when it broke I didn't replace it.) Since discovering Q1 and NickFromFulham my visual and intellectual stimulation has largely been British panel shows. I might even have to get a life . . .

Quote:
Well fortunately I grabbed the vids before the takedown went through.

Um, Efros, could you post them -- and Idleness specifically? Because as far as I can tell it's as dry as Death Valley up there.

Zebra57
870313.  Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote

Two QI XLs now on iplayer EP1 I Spy and Ep 14 Idleness.

Clearly Mr Clarkson is now safe to be aired.

Ian Dunn
870320.  Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
Two QI XLs now on iplayer EP1 I Spy and Ep 14 Idleness.

Clearly Mr Clarkson is now safe to be aired.

I can't see "Idleness" on the iPlayer.

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next