View previous topic | View next topic

How come tonights episode is a repeat??

Page 7 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Pete
871672.  Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote

All you copyright fiends, layin' in to our Nick...

Are you all seriously sayin' that you're gonna wait till January (or whenever it is), & then see if the BBC broadcast the Idleness episode?

You ain't gonna watch it on youtube channels, just cos of a standpoint of high copyright morals?

If so, I'm not callin' you liars or anything, but isn't that a bit 'sad"?
In fact, unless you work for the Beeb's legal & marketing office or something, I'd refer to you as 'pompous idiots'.

(Fry even said he understood why young people record stuff, & would have dunnit himself)..

By the way, I've seen Idleness.
Quite Interesting!
And...Clarkson isn't the most shocking panellist on the episode.

Neotenic
871679.  Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote

....and still they come.

If the only reason you're signing up is to call us 'sad' or 'pompous idiots' then - quite frankly - fuck off, you sad, pompous idiot.

Yes, I've seen the episode too - it was on Virgin's version of iPlayer last week.

Willie
871681.  Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
In fact, unless you work for the Beeb's legal & marketing office or something, I'd refer to you as 'pompous idiots'.

So it's ok if I come into your work, take what you produce without permission and give copies of it out to thousands of people without you getting paid is it?

I'd rather be a pompous idiot than be part of the 'I'm entitled to what I want, when I want it and for free' throng.

Oh, and yes I have seen the show, it was on iplayer.

Strawberry
871698.  Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote

Go back to your bridge, pete.

Jenny
871740.  Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote

We have actually got a new comedy panel show starting shortly on BBC America, with Graham Norton hosting, called 'Would you rather...'

The comedy panel genre isn't really done over here, so they may be trying it out to see how the Americans take to it. I don't much fancy the Graham Norton one from the trailers, to be honest, but I'll probably watch it a couple of times just to check it out.

Jud
871768.  Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote

Okay, I haven't read through this entire thread so please forgive me if I'm asking questions that have already been covered, but do we know when this latest series is going to get back on track?

I fail to understand, (a) why the Clarkson episode was pulled anyway, and (b) why the pulling of a single episode has resulted in repeat episodes since. Why couldn't they have simply filled the Clarkson void with a repeat episode and then resumed the series as normal the following week??

Strawberry
871773.  Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote

The Clarkson episode was pulled because of complaints about a joke he made on The One Show. There's a thread about it here.

suze
871775.  Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote

No one has really given a very good answer to a). The easy explanation would be to assert that the BBC decided it wanted Clarkson off the screens for a while - but it hasn't stopped showing repeats of Top Gear on BBC3, so it can't be that.

The better explanation would be that someone at BBC2 Towers panicked and made a shockingly bad decision which he found himself unable to change. But no one has been willing to present that to us as the explanation. Neither has anyone been able to explain how it came to pass that the banned episode appeared briefly on iPlayer, whence it found its way onto YouTube.

b) is, fortunately, slightly simpler. The banned episode was in fact always intended to be the last regular show of the season. There are two compilation shows (one last week and one this week, except for poor sods in Scotland where the BBC is choosing not to show them), and there's a Christmas-themed episode which will be broadcast on 29 December. (Note that this is a Thursday, and the XL version follows on the Friday.)

So the series couldn't resume as normal, because there were no shows left. Quite how that squares with the BBC's insistence that all that was happening was that the running order of the shows was being altered, you'd have to ask the BBC. Several people from these forums have done, but a convincing answer has not been forthcoming. Neither has there been any word at all as to when, if ever, we'll be allowed to see the banned episode.

Jud
871795.  Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for the detailed answer, Suze, although I can't pretend to understand your/their reasoning.

If memory serves, a couple of weeks ago when the Clarkson episode was pulled, Sky's EPG had it down as '15 of 18'. Since then we've had a compilation and repeats, and I still fail to understand why the following week's episode couldn't have resumed at '16 of 18' ??

One episode gets pulled and the whole series is thrown into disarray. Why? It's not like it matters what sequence the shows are broadcast - so why not just show the remaining episodes in whatever order they need to?

soup
871802.  Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote

Jud wrote:

One episode gets pulled and the whole series is thrown into disarray. Why? It's not like it matters what sequence the shows are broadcast - so why not just show the remaining episodes in whatever order they need to?

They did,
15 of 18 THE Clarkson one (Idleness)
16 of 18 The first compilation show
17 of 18 The second compilation show
18 of 18 the Christmas special
so 15 pulled (Possibly for Clarkson) then a return to "normal" with 16

Neotenic
871816.  Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote

Almost right, soup.

Idleness is episode 14 - and the additional episode is a stand-alone special to be shown at some point next year as part of a themed season.

'yorz
871830.  Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote

So - according to Sky News today, there is going to be an official inquest into Clarkson's incitement to killing off strikers in front of their families.

An inquest?! And how tongue in cheek do you have be for people to get it?!

This is getting ever preposterouser.

Neotenic
871836.  Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote

I'm sure Ofcom investigations (not inquests) are triggered automatically when a certain threshold of complaints is breached.

My guess is that this threshold is lower than the 800 mewling cretins that took the time to bleat in the general direction of Ofcom.

And, surely, the main crux of their complaint is not 'I was terribly offended' but 'I don't much care for Jeremy Clarkson'.

Indeed, I don't much care for the gilded leaping or karaoke caterwauling that seems to constitute prime-time Saturday night television, but I think it's preferable to just do something else than endure it, if only to complain about it.

I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility that the outcome of the investigation is a message to the complainants to grow the fuck up, albeit in slightly more diplomatic language.

'yorz
871851.  Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote

This would cheer me up tremendously.

Traveller69
871855.  Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote

Willie wrote:
Pete wrote:

So it's ok if I come into your work, take what you produce without permission and give copies of it out to thousands of people without you getting paid is it?

I'd rather be a pompous idiot than be part of the 'I'm entitled to what I want, when I want it and for free' throng.

Oh, and yes I have seen the show, it was on iplayer.

And as is the case with most comparisons, this one does not quite hit the nail (imho). It will be broadcast eventually, and by then you can watch it for free as well. The creators of the show are already paid, the broadcaster is already paid. The only problem: it could be there will be not as many viewers as there would be when it was not available.

Yes - I have seen the show and don't understand why it wasn't broadcast. Only because a certain panellist was in it?

Page 7 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next