View previous topic | View next topic

How come tonights episode is a repeat??

Page 5 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

NickFromFulham
870679.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Quote:
NickFromFulham

You are a hero and without you I never would have had the hundreds of hours of entertainment you have provided when I was unable to access BBC and their iplayer.

I'm sorry all of your work was taken down. I hope you find a new way to provide those shows. But either way, thank you.
And welcome!


I tend to agree with Willie (I know, I surprise even myself sometimes) that it doesn't seem quite right to laud someone for their 'work', when that work involves scraping out content from one source and dumping it in another.

That's especially the case hereabouts, as the availabilty of the episodes on Youtube is likely to be a primary reason why sales of the physical DVDs of the first three series were so poor, we are unlikely to see the release of the others.


You're saying that DVD sales of QI suffered as a result of YouTube which is ridiculous, most people would rather have DVD copies of their favourite programme (with DVD extras) to watch in the comfort of their living rooms, rather than sit in front of their small screen iMacs and shite Advent PCs watching 10-15 minute chunks.

I genuinely enjoy spending my interwebs time 'scraping and dumping' (as you put it) and introducing QI to hundreds of thousands of people who would be unable to view it otherwise, it's far more constructive and rewarding than getting involved in pointless forum arguments.

 
mckeonj
870680.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote

canadianQ wrote:
we had envisioned you living in some cyber Sherwood Forest with a band of merry elves singing “They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is” as you plotted the return of royal justice to the 'Tube and had not anticipated you sauntering into How come tonights episode is a repeat?? to a make a casual comment about the relative idiocy of BBC complainants and BBC executives.

It occurs to me that this could be worked up into 'The Qi Song' to the tune of 'Mine Eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord'.
"They say of the Acropolis, its where the Parthenon is.
"That Cruithe is a moon of Earth, and blue whale always is."
etc. etc.
Chorus:
Glory, glory is the tie of Stephen Fry.
etc. etc.

 
Neotenic
870681.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote

Quote:
You're saying that DVD sales of QI suffered as a result of YouTube which is ridiculous, most people would rather have DVD copies of their favourite programme (with DVD extras) to watch in the comfort of their living rooms, rather than sit in front of their small screen iMacs and shite Advent PCs watching 10-15 minute chunks.

I genuinely enjoy spending my interwebs time 'scraping and dumping' (as you put it) and introducing QI to hundreds of thousands of people who would be unable to view it otherwise, it's far more constructive and rewarding than getting involved in pointless forum arguments.


Hmmm.

The first thing we need to address here is the issue of sockpuppetry. We've had enough specific people 'conveniently' pop up to chime in to a thread for me to be forever skeptical that anyone is really who they say they are. A Dr Who director and Eddie Izzard are two of my recent favourites.

Anybody, from anywhere, is free to set up an account and say 'I'm NickfromFulham' (and so's my wife), so I don't think that should be a passport to credibility.

But, assuming that you are who you say you are, and not one of our regulars with a penchant for sockpuppetry - it does rather appear that the plaudits have somewhat gone to your head.

Let's be very clear, dragging stuff from iPlayer to Youtube makes you nothing more than a middleman. Sure, a pharmacist may provide life-saving drugs, but he's next to useless without a doctor making the diagnosis and writing the prescription. Providing a service to some (and a number probably closer to thousands than hundreds of thousands at that) you may be, but don't get carried away over your part in the process.

And, remember, I did say 'a' primary reason for the poor DVD sales, not 'the' primary reason - another would be the near-endless cycle of repeats on Dave. Either way, you don't have to be a genius to realise that someone doing as you have done may not be welcomed with completely open arms by the owners of the IP rights. Just as you wouldn't expect a band to be thrilled by someone rocking up on their forum and saying 'Wooo! I put your album up on Pirate Bay, and it's been downloaded thousands of times!'.

Oh, and I certainly can and do watch Youtube directly on my big-screen TV in my living room - I used to do it by connecting my laptop via HDMI, but now I have one with built-in functionality.

And there's no need for the condescending 'what I do is better than what you do' - I'm just providing a counter-argument to the effusive praise. And, hey, at least what I post here is largely my own original creation.

 
NickFromFulham
870685.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Quote:
You're saying that DVD sales of QI suffered as a result of YouTube which is ridiculous, most people would rather have DVD copies of their favourite programme (with DVD extras) to watch in the comfort of their living rooms, rather than sit in front of their small screen iMacs and shite Advent PCs watching 10-15 minute chunks.

I genuinely enjoy spending my interwebs time 'scraping and dumping' (as you put it) and introducing QI to hundreds of thousands of people who would be unable to view it otherwise, it's far more constructive and rewarding than getting involved in pointless forum arguments.


Hmmm.

The first thing we need to address here is the issue of sockpuppetry. We've had enough specific people 'conveniently' pop up to chime in to a thread for me to be forever skeptical that anyone is really who they say they are. A Dr Who director and Eddie Izzard are two of my recent favourites.

Anybody, from anywhere, is free to set up an account and say 'I'm NickfromFulham' (and so's my wife), so I don't think that should be a passport to credibility.

But, assuming that you are who you say you are, and not one of our regulars with a penchant for sockpuppetry - it does rather appear that the plaudits have somewhat gone to your head.

Let's be very clear, dragging stuff from iPlayer to Youtube makes you nothing more than a middleman. Sure, a pharmacist may provide life-saving drugs, but he's next to useless without a doctor making the diagnosis and writing the prescription. Providing a service to some (and a number probably closer to thousands than hundreds of thousands at that) you may be, but don't get carried away over your part in the process.

And, remember, I did say 'a' primary reason for the poor DVD sales, not 'the' primary reason - another would be the near-endless cycle of repeats on Dave. Either way, you don't have to be a genius to realise that someone doing as you have done may not be welcomed with completely open arms by the owners of the IP rights. Just as you wouldn't expect a band to be thrilled by someone rocking up on their forum and saying 'Wooo! I put your album up on Pirate Bay, and it's been downloaded thousands of times!'.

Oh, and I certainly can and do watch Youtube directly on my big-screen TV in my living room - I used to do it by connecting my laptop via HDMI, but now I have one with built-in functionality.

And there's no need for the condescending 'what I do is better than what you do' - I'm just providing a counter-argument to the effusive praise. And, hey, at least what I post here is largely my own original creation.




Thank you most kindly for proving my point re: pointless arguments.

I wish you all the best in your future 'original and creative' posts in the QI forums.

I would write more but I have copious amounts of 'scraping' then a little bit of 'dragging' followed by lots of 'dumping' to be getting on with under the guise of Robin-Hood-dressed-as-a-sockpuppet/pharmacist.

Cheers

NFF xxxx

 
Willie
870688.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote

NickFromFulham wrote:

I wish you all the best in your future 'original and creative' posts in the QI forums.


At least his posts are his own, not just someone else's creation and posted without permission

 
Prof Wind Up Merchant
870961.  Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote

I was wondering myself about this. I assumed that it would have been the Idleness episode which has that oik Jezza on the panel. Do not look at the Wikipedia entry List of QI episodes as it contains a spoiler. As it had Jezza the oik on it that may be the reason.

 
PDR
870970.  Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote

No shit, sherlock!

PDR

 
Bondee
870984.  Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:56 am Reply with quote

Prof Wind Up Merchant wrote:
I was wondering myself about this. I assumed that it would have been the Idleness episode which has that oik Jezza on the panel. Do not look at the Wikipedia entry List of QI episodes as it contains a spoiler. As it had Jezza the oik on it that may be the reason.


It was mentioned in the TV guides (printed and electronic) and several times throughout the forum so there's absolutely no need whatsoever to look at Wiki's episode list.

Sometimes I worry about you, Prof.

 
Prof Wind Up Merchant
871407.  Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:55 am Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:


Sometimes I worry about you, Prof.


Please explain? I take it you are upset about me looking at the Wikipedia article.

 
soup
871409.  Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:21 am Reply with quote

Prof Wind Up Merchant wrote:
Bondee wrote:

Sometimes I worry about you, Prof.

Please explain? I take it you are upset about me looking at the Wikipedia article.


I rather took it as incredulity that you could mention, it was maybe because Clarkson was on, it 9 days (or 5 pages[1]) after that idea was first promulgated.

[1] depending on your setup etc

 
PDR
871422.  Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote

Page sizes go down as well as up. Your home page could be at risk if you fail to monitor page locations. Consult an independant web-page advisor.

PDR

 
Bondee
871451.  Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote

soup, you are spot on, sir!

 
BigunALE
871572.  Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote

Just a thought for all of you disparaging Mr. Nick.

If it weren't for Youtube uploaders like Nick, and others, many of us here in the U.S. wouldn't have access, or even exposure to many of the fine British programs that have aired over the years. And since many of these programs are not part of BBCAmerica's venue, and finding complete series on DVD is akin to hen's teeth, BBC is not only losing sales, but failing to expand its audience.

Nick and the others are, in my view, doing the BBC a service by "scraping" and "dragging" content to Youtube, in that they reach audiences that wouldn't normally even be aware of these shows. If it weren't for the Youtube uploaders, I would never have become a fan of TopGear, would never have learned names such as "Stephen Fry" "Dara O'Briain", "Phil Jupitus", "Michael Mcintyre" etc... I feel privileged to have been able to watch the Planet Word series the brief time it was posted, and would love to find it sold on DVD. In fact, I intend to own DVDs of at least two of the series those such as Nick has exposed me to, as well as the standup comedies of several I have come to know as a result of those shows.

I'm sure those in the UK (as well as most of the rest of the world) think of us 'Merikans as uncultured ethnocentric idiots, and to a great extent you'd be correct, but there are many as well who value experiencing various other cultures, and I for one value and am thankful of Youtubers like Nick for their time and effort, uploading, and organizing playlists of programs that expand my thoughts and experiences.

For what it's worth, Nick, a huge thanks from "the States".

 
exnihilo
871573.  Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote

Perhaps the BBC should offer a subscription channel in the US? After all, we only get to see all of these things because we pay for the BBC.

 
Neotenic
871591.  Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote

Again, we're going to have to gingerly step around the issue of a hitherto unknown poster leaping to someone's defence.

If I am being disparaging, it is only to bring the whole thing back into context - I'm not sure that any uploader really deserves the deification that has been awarded - especially since he wasn't smart enough to realise that uploading an episode that was unbroadcast on the main terrestrial channels, and only put on iPlayer in error, would focus the attention of the legal teams.

Indeed, the very fact NFF's account grew to (IIRC) more than 1,500 videos was because of the Beebs generally benign attitude to the practice. Try replicating the process with The Daily Show, or The Colbert Report, and see how long it takes for a big fat Cease And Desist notice to plop onto your doormat from Viacom.

What he was doing and (whisper it) is doing again makes him a hobbyist, not a hero.

Incidentally, it's the word 'intend' that somewhat undermines the argument given above. What need would you have to follow through on that intention, whilst everything you want/need is available for nowt?

Finally, I will just mention one of the main reasons that the show has not been broadcast on BBCA - the images shown on the screens behind the panelists have been given licence to be broadcast in the UK, but not worldwide. I understand that trying to obtain that level of clearance is prohibitively expensive for BBCA.

If folks stateside really want to see the full shows on your networks, then probably the thing to do is to start lobbying other channels with deeper pockets (like, say, Comedy Central) to buy the shows and deal with the licencing.

 

Page 5 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group