View previous topic | View next topic

How come tonights episode is a repeat??

Page 4 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

canadianQ
870549.  Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote

Indeed, welcome NickFromFulham. You will find several tributes to you at QI Confessions under General Banter

NickFromFulham
870554.  Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote

canadianQ wrote:
Indeed, welcome NickFromFulham. You will find several tributes to you at QI Confessions under General Banter

Oh dear...

PDR
870557.  Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Willie wrote:
I'm sorry but Patten isn't the BBC, he is a political appointee there to push through Conservative cuts.

Well he is chairman of the BBC Trust (and thus responsible for keeping the BBC on the straight an narrow), but like most of those who have exploded with fake offence over this incident, you are very selective in your commentry. To quote rather more accurately from the piece I cited:

The BBC director general, Mark Thompson, and chairman of the BBC Trust, Chris Patten, have defended Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson for saying striking public sector workers should be shot.

When questioned by MPs on the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee on Tuesday, Mr Thompson said he "didn't intend to sack" the presenter.

Chris Patten added: "If frankly we sacked everybody who said anything stupid, there'd be quite a lot of people who have said things which I find offensive from a different political point of view."

But then I suppose you'd claim that the Director General of the BBC isn't the BBC either...

PDR

plach
870596.  Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote

NickFromFulham

You are a hero and without you I never would have had the hundreds of hours of entertainment you have provided when I was unable to access BBC and their iplayer.

I'm sorry all of your work was taken down. I hope you find a new way to provide those shows. But either way, thank you.
And welcome!

Willie
870600.  Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote

plach wrote:
NickFromFulham

You are a hero and without you I never would have had the hundreds of hours of entertainment you have provided when I was unable to access BBC and their iplayer.

I'm sorry all of your work was taken down. I hope you find a new way to provide those shows. But either way, thank you.
And welcome!

Um, I think you'll find that if it was panel shows from TV studios that he put on YouTube it was other people's work he put up without asking permission, not his own.

Stealing other people's intellectual property doesn't make you a modern day Robin Hood.

Willie
870601.  Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Willie wrote:
I'm sorry but Patten isn't the BBC, he is a political appointee there to push through Conservative cuts.

Well he is chairman of the BBC Trust (and thus responsible for keeping the BBC on the straight an narrow), but like most of those who have exploded with fake offence over this incident, you are very selective in your commentry. To quote rather more accurately from the piece I cited:

The BBC director general, Mark Thompson, and chairman of the BBC Trust, Chris Patten, have defended Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson for saying striking public sector workers should be shot.

When questioned by MPs on the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee on Tuesday, Mr Thompson said he "didn't intend to sack" the presenter.

Chris Patten added: "If frankly we sacked everybody who said anything stupid, there'd be quite a lot of people who have said things which I find offensive from a different political point of view."

But then I suppose you'd claim that the Director General of the BBC isn't the BBC either...

PDR

Oh dear have I offended your ego again.

bobwilson
870606.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Yes. But you'll appreciate that there is a difference between the BBC deciding to release its own product to YouTube, and other people doing so without the BBC's permission.

True - the first is people doing what people do best - behaving responsibly in accordance with what they are paid to do; the second is employees doing what they're paid to do - irresepective of the legal consequences and an in accordance with their conscience.

But don't worry - the DG and his underlings will get paid regardless and the perpetrators of this action who worked within the spirit and legal letter of the BBC Charter will be sacked immedialtely.

Suze - for your information - the BBC cannot release anything on YouTube.

canadianQ
870607.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote

NickFromFulham

Quote:
Oh dear...

Oh – as you say – dear. In our defence, we had envisioned you living in some cyber Sherwood Forest with a band of merry elves singing “They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is” as you plotted the return of royal justice to the 'Tube and had not anticipated you sauntering into How come tonights episode is a repeat?? to a make a casual comment about the relative idiocy of BBC complainants and BBC executives.

bobwilson
870608.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote

Willie wrote:
PDR wrote:
Willie wrote:

PDR

Willie - at the risk of reducing your credibility by association - you should understand that PDR isn't a fan of facts preferring to get his knowledge from the Daily Mail

bobwilson
870611.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote

canadianQ wrote:
NickFromFulham

Quote:
Oh dear...

Oh – as you say – dear. In our defence, we had envisioned you living in some cyber Sherwood Forest with a band of merry elves singing “They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is” as you plotted the return of royal justice to the 'Tube and had not anticipated you sauntering into How come tonights episode is a repeat?? to a make a casual comment about the relative idiocy of BBC complainants and BBC executives.

My apologies - not being a Canadian and therefore not subject to the ridiculoos and illegal demands for payment from (by proxy) Ann Robinson et al - I thought I might have a say. I now realise that being the victim of illegal demands for payment I must defer to those who are much better placed than I am - can I have your bank details (not a demand, of course, just a threat of prosecution commensurate with that regularly received from Jonathon Ross)

bobwilson
870612.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote

I'd just like to point out that anyone engaged in an enterprise with a criminal enterprise is themselves liable to prosecution for any illegal activity.

Since the BBC regularly engages in sending out notices about alleged illegal activity (which it knows to be false) that makes any paerson engaged iwth the BBC complicit in the charge of criminal conspiracy. So stuff that up your pipe and smoke it.

exnihilo
870629.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:18 am Reply with quote

More than usually random today, bob, well done.

In the interest of balance, ho ho, and for those who might have missed it Paul Sinha on The Now Show made a very good, and unexpected, defence of Mr Clarkson, rather better than most of the 'demolitions' we've been told are out there.

Actual iPlayer link, you'll want from 09:55 onwards.

Neotenic
870635.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quote

Quote:
NickFromFulham

And welcome!

I tend to agree with Willie (I know, I surprise even myself sometimes) that it doesn't seem quite right to laud someone for their 'work', when that work involves scraping out content from one source and dumping it in another.

That's especially the case hereabouts, as the availabilty of the episodes on Youtube is likely to be a primary reason why sales of the physical DVDs of the first three series were so poor, we are unlikely to see the release of the others.

PDR
870658.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:39 am Reply with quote

Willie wrote:

Ego? No. Merely correcting some fundamental errors of fact.

PDR

PDR
870659.  Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:

Willie - at the risk of reducing your credibility by association - you should understand that PDR isn't a fan of facts preferring to get his knowledge from the Daily Mail

I suggest you get back under your bridge before the eldest brother hears you've been out again.

PDR

Page 4 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next