View previous topic | View next topic

The Dutch word for Germans in The Second Book of GI

Page 1 of 1

belraptor
867797.  Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote

First of all, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I could not find a subforum about The Second Book of General Ignorance.

I'm reading the book after having it recently brought through Amazin and am enjoying it immensly.
However, I did spot quite an error on page 160, where the question was "In which country is the Dutch city of Groningen?".

It says that "duitsch" is Dutch for "Germans". This is definitly not the case. The correct word would be "Duitsers" (mind the capital letter as well). The word "duitsch" is an old spellingform of the adjective "german" and of the language. The proper way of writing this term since the last few decades is "Duits" (or in some cases "Duitse").

Anyway, it doesn't change the answer of the actual question, so there's nothing major going on.

Cheers!

Jenny
867906.  Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote

Welcome belraptor - we love nitpickers around here... I'll be interested to see if any of our other Dutch posters pick up on this one.

freehand
872572.  Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote

The city Groningen is in the Netherlands. It is located in the province of... Groningen. So there is a city called Groningen and also a province that is called Groningen too. The capital of that province is the city of Groningen.

You are correct on the Duits-part.
- Germans are "Duitsers"
- a german car is a "duitse auto"
- a german man is a "Duitser"
- a german woman is a "Duitse"

Duitscher is indeed the old spelling form.

Zebra57
872622.  Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote

A double Dutch welcome to belraptor and freehand. The QI Forum features a number of citizens from your country.

I will not ask freehand what the other hand is doing.

Groningen has a fascinating mobile bar powered by the drinkers using pedal-power which tours the city centre. I understand that it is very popular with students.

Bondee
872640.  Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
I will not ask freehand what the other hand is doing.

Probably best you don't suggest he's having a J. Arthur. Gavin might get offended.

Jenny
872680.  Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote

Welcome freehand :-)

Page 1 of 1