View previous topic | View next topic

Series I, Episode 10: Inland Revenue

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ian Dunn
861983.  Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Here's this the preview. How this man became earl of my hometown I shall never know.

Sylvia
861985.  Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote

That's Sandi Toksvig appearing in two consecutive episodes. She's not the first QI guest to appear on two consecutive shows, is she?

clack
861986.  Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Rich Hall has appeared 3 times consecutively (series B I believe).

Ian Dunn
861987.  Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote

Sylvia wrote:
That's Sandi Toksvig appearing in two consecutive episodes. She's not the first QI guest to appear on two consecutive shows, is she?

No, this is next week's episode. The episode this week features Jo Brand, Andy Hamilton and Ben Goldacre.

However, panelists have appeared in two consecutive shows. Rich Hall once appeared for three episodes in a row (Series B, Episodes 7-9).

exnihilo
861988.  Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
How this man became earl of my hometown I shall never know.

He probably chose the title after being its MP for twenty-odd years, he got the title for holding pretty much every major office in the land including that of PM and serving in same with some distinction until he felt he had to resign due to ill-health and someone else's scandal. It's also worth noting that he declined any titles for decades and only accepted that one when he was already at death's door.

Sylvia
862067.  Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
No, this is next week's episode.

Yes, of course. For some reason I didn't see the other preview thread and thought this thread was for this week's show.

Bianco
862087.  Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
However, panelists have appeared in two consecutive shows. Rich Hall once appeared for three episodes in a row (Series B, Episodes 7-9).

David Mitchell as well, if you count the last two episodes of F series and the first one of G series. Then again, I can see why you wouldn't.

Always happy to see Sandi!

suze
862089.  Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote

You have to remember here that shows are not recorded in the same order as they are transmitted. Who, if anyone, has appeared in consecutive recordings I don't know, but I'm sure that someone here does ...

coldalarm
862119.  Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:51 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Who, if anyone, has appeared in consecutive recordings I don't know, but I'm sure that someone here does ...

Alan Davies and Stephen Fry? ;)

eggshaped
862138.  Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:54 am Reply with quote

It happens much more regularly. Often our guests can only make recording dates in certain blocks, whereas we can deliberately choose a transmission order to spread the panelists out.

Jenny
862265.  Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Ben Goldacre! I love Ben Goldacre. Will watch asap.

Gooische Vrijgezel
863809.  Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote

Yet another repeated question, just to point out it'll happen more often if consistency isn't managed properly:

Ben Hur and Billy the Kid, Series B, episode 10 (not the full quote, it was a longer item):

"The man was called Lew Wallace, who ... who wrote the novel, and he was Governor of New Mexico. His connection with Billy the Kid is that he also wrote Billy the Kid's death warrant.".

On the other hand the question regarding the narrow Dutch houses (I live in such a house, a "grachtenpand" with a "lijstgevel", one with a regular width, but there's one really small house in the street) was not a recycled question. It didn't appear in Dutch QI's episode "The House".

Last edited by Gooische Vrijgezel on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total

Gooische Vrijgezel
863835.  Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote

Possible minor error, depending on what a fine is:

The gun wasn't deducted from the fine, the gun was deducted from the gains or (gross) revenue/profit/earnings of the criminal activity.

Fine for owning a gun: 1,000
Buying a gun: 100
Selling drugs, estimated profit: 50,000
(the rest of the story ignores the drugs-related crime)

To pay: 1,000 (fine)
Additional payment ("Plukze"-laws): 50,000-100

If you had to go to jail for one year (instead of having to pay a fine), you wouldn't have earned/gained 49,900 in that year.

"Plukze": pluk ze, pluck them, pluck the criminal, remove the net gain.

Last edited by Gooische Vrijgezel on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:58 am; edited 2 times in total

plach
863844.  Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Al Murray but he seemed to do a fine job on his first appearance. He was quite interesting and wasn't intimidated by the rest of the panel. I love Dara, and Sandi is always a treat. Looking forward to XL.

clack
863845.  Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps a more interesting Governor/Billy the Kid connection was that of the Kid and Miguel Antonio Otero. Otero was a friend of Billy the Kid, and later went on to become New Mexico's first Hispanic governor.

And speaking of signing death warrants for Old West legends, while governor Otero signed the death-by-hanging order for Black Jack Ketchum, leader of the Old West's most prolific and successful train robbing gang. Despite killing many men in various shootouts, Ketchum was executed not for murder but for the crime of train robbery -- the only person ever executed for that crime in the US.

The hangman miscalculated however, and the noose decapitated Ketchum.

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next