View previous topic | View next topic

SARS (Illness)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Gooische Vrijgezel
862301.  Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote

When S.A.R.S. (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) was in the news for a while, an artist I knew suddenly had to spell out his easy name extremely often: Sars. Predictable human behaviour. A bit rude, and I cannot recall any funny remarks, laughs nor further questions. Let's be really smart, and call the next new disease S.M.I.T.H...

Last edited by Gooische Vrijgezel on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

charleski
862367.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote

Sudden Male Incontinent Thoracic Hypertrophy

mckeonj
862369.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:32 am Reply with quote

Is there anybody out there with any of the following innovative names?
RADAR
SONAR
BIRO
SCUBA
WALDO
PLUTO
MARS

(At least two of those are names of people, applied to their devices)

Strawberry
862388.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:26 am Reply with quote

Yeah, there's someone called Mars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Mars

exnihilo
862390.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:39 am Reply with quote

There are plenty of people named Mars, and Biro. Because, as mkeonj says, those were proper names before they were products. The rest are acronyms, though I suppose it's possible that any one of them is a name in a non-English language and there's bound to be someone named Pluto in English.

RLDavies
862411.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote

Waldo, as the name for remote-control manipulator "hands", isn't an acronym. The device was named after the character of the same name in the novella "Waldo" by Robert Heinlein.

In the story, Waldo Farthingwaite-Jones is an incredibly rich man with myasthenia gravis. He builds a space-station home where he can live in weightlessness, and among his various inventions are these manipulators, called waldos in the book. When the real thing was developed, it was named in tribute to the story.

exnihilo
862413.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote

Good point!

suze
862434.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote

Bruno Mars is a stage name - his real name is Peter Hernandez. But yes, there is a Mars family which owns a confectionery business - the family is reclusive and rarely gives interviews.

The ballpoint pen was invented by a Hungarian Argentinean called Biró László (later Ladislao Biro). There is also a children's author - again originally an Hungarian, but resident in England for over seventy years - called Val Biro.

There are a fair number of Waldos around - for example, a Chilean footballer with the "amusing" name of Waldo Ponce.

There is a reggae musician called Pluto Shervington, but it's not his real name. But a bit of searching turns up a sports journalist out of Cleveland OH called Terry Pluto - and that does appear to be his real name.

There's a New Zealand comedian who uses the name Te Radar, but his real name is Andrew Lumsden. Thus far, I'm not aware of anyone whose real name is Radar, Scuba, or Sonar - but I'd be surprised if there is no one.

mckeonj
862524.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Interesting coincidence of names; Waldo Lanchester was a well-known puppeteer back in mid-20C. His Lanchester Marionettes toured the country performing Mozart operas and other pieces, including a short play written for them by GBS, called 'Shak -v- Shav'.
Waldo was the brother of the actress Elsa Lanchester.
I worked with him backstage when he came to the Unicorn Theatre, Abingdon.

Gooische Vrijgezel
864395.  Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
Is there anybody out there with any of the following innovative names?
RADAR
SONAR
BIRO
SCUBA
WALDO
PLUTO
MARS

(At least two of those are names of people, applied to their devices)

In case of Mars, the god may have the oldest rights. It's also a word in at least one language, but that can be true for "aids" too. A few SARS-examples (business activities only), just to show it's used out there:

Sars Fotografie
Sars Houtbouw
Sars Verhuizingen en Verpakkingen

Zebra57
864567.  Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Is not Waldo the US name for Wally as in "Where's Wally" hence his enemy is Odlaw (Waldo backwards)?

I seem to remember Waldo may also have been Mr Magoo's nephew.

tetsabb
864635.  Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote

And of course there was someone called 'Radar'

'yorz
864638.  Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote

Awww - sweet young Gary Burghoff :)

Gooische Vrijgezel
864680.  Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Awww - sweet young Gary Burghoff :)

Waldo can be found here. There a more Waldos, not counting middle names. And here is a Radar. And a Mars. Hi, Sonar! Or Scuba. A nice Biro, owned by professor Pluto.

Last edited by Gooische Vrijgezel on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

'yorz
864685.  Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote

Gooische Vrijgezel wrote:
Waldo can be found here. There a more Waldos, not counting middle names.

That's an utterly crap Waldo. Doesn't mean anything to anybody.

This, however, is a magnificent specimen.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next