View previous topic | View next topic

Desensitisation?

Page 1 of 1

Spud McLaren
862598.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote

I've just seen the latest phones4u ad on TV - for those who haven't, here's a link to a youtube post - it's quite amusing in a way, but doesn't it risk desensitising viewers to the real shock-tactic road safety or drink-driving campaign ads? Or doesn't it matter?

Arcane
862614.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote

Eeeek! Creepy little girls... although I did laugh at the end. Found it quite funny.

bobwilson
862623.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
I've just seen the latest phones4u ad on TV - for those who haven't, here's a link to a youtube post - it's quite amusing in a way, but doesn't it risk desensitising viewers to the real shock-tactic road safety or drink-driving campaign ads? Or doesn't it matter?

Luddite! Surely everyone records programmes and only watches them on playback thereby completely skipping over the adverts?

RLDavies
862722.  Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote

It's not a parody of road safety ads, it's a parody of horror movies like "The Ring".

There's enough horror and mock-horror entertainment about that one extra ad won't make any difference either way.

Spud McLaren
862813.  Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Luddite! Surely everyone records programmes and only watches them on playback thereby completely skipping over the adverts?
Like your thinking, bob, but if it were true in all cases the advertising agencies would drop the TV campaigns like hot bricks.
RLDavies wrote:
It's not a parody of road safety ads, it's a parody of horror movies like "The Ring".

There's enough horror and mock-horror entertainment about that one extra ad won't make any difference either way.
Yes, in fact there's rather too much of the "horror and mock-horror entertainment" for my tastes, but let that pass. The point I was making was that, as ad campaigns go, isn't it diluting the effect of the genuine "don't drink & drive", "kill your speed" type of campaign?

suze
862848.  Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote

The United States Congress once debated a measure which would have made it a criminal offence to skip the ads! That was part of HR2391, an intellectual property bill which would also have made iTunes illegal.

The bill died in committee, but Sen Orrin Hatch (R, UT) spoke in favour of the ban on ad skipping. (He's the man who also proposed the development of a system whereby victims of breach of copyright would be able to remotely explode all the computer equipment owned by the nasty criminal. Seriously. But then it was discovered that his own website contained an unlicensed piece of JavaScript code ...)

Page 1 of 1