View previous topic | View next topic

Incomprehensible

Page 1 of 1

Lordwarkworth
858117.  Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Just a little extra word on the segment on slogans. One thing has perplexed me for a while, there was a Kent Tourism board advert which went simply "There has never been a better time to visit Kent". Now this IS interesting because it works in perpetuity. Presumably it is still current the best time to visit Kent, as it was yesterday and will, no doubt continue to be tomorrow.

Other examples of this sort of wotsit include the well viewed public house plaque behind many bars: "Free Beer All Day Tomorrow" so of course there can never be any free beer...

Is there a name for this sort of never ending promise?

BTW Kent is lovely and I highly recommend a visit when you get the chance.
The beer in my pub however...I wouldn't drink it whether it was free or not!

Ciao!

LW

x

mckeonj
858138.  Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote

Yes, it's called a wimpy; from a character in the old Popeye cartoons, who would "gladly pay on Thoisday for a burger supplied on Toosday."

Lordwarkworth
858318.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:03 am Reply with quote

"Ug-ug-ug-ug-ug!"

mckeonj
858337.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
Yes, it's called a wimpy; from a character in the old Popeye cartoons, who would "gladly pay on Thoisday for a burger supplied on Toosday."

I just made that up, for mischief.
I don't know what the correct term is, but Lewis Carroll might have coined one.
In his second 'Alice' book, 'Through the Looking Glass', the White Queen explains to Alice the meaning of the phrase "Jam every other day"; as "Jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, but never jam today.".
Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) was a mathematician, and in his fiction work explores some interesting scientific ideas to do with space, time, relativity, and all that jazz.
In one story, from the 'Bruno and Sylvie' series, he proposes the 'thought experiment', later propounded by Einstein, of having a tea-party in a lift which is falling free, and the cups, saucers, cakes, and plates; floating in the air, along with the people.
Better known is the case where the White Queen and Alice have to run very fast in order to stay in the same place.

RLDavies
862418.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote

"Jam tomorrow" (as mentioned by Mckeonj above) is the most common metaphor for a promise of something nice that never materialises.

I've never heard it used as the actual name of such a promise, though. At most, it could be an adjective: "politicians and their jam-tomorrow promises".

ChrisJHunt
863965.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post what I consider to be the best town motto I've heard- It's of the french town Rouen and it is - "Ville Moyen" which translates as "Your Average Town"

Zebra57
864081.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Welcome CJH

Jenny
864093.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote

I like that! Welcome CJH :-)

Page 1 of 1