View previous topic | View next topic

Series I, Episode 10: Inland Revenue

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

djgordy
863857.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote

Speaking of Billy the Kid, he failed to win a pardon earlier this year. There is mention of a possible plea bargaining deal with Lew Wallace that may have been reneged on.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/billy-the-kid-fails-to-win-pardon-from-governor-2173376.html

Speaking of Activia pouring yogurt (which received a mention), it is the most foul and disgusting substance known that still manages to qualify as a food stuff.

 
coldalarm
863946.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote

I've got to say I'm rather staggered that a transgender-related question was sensitively handled (or as sensitively as one would expect from a comedy show). Kudos to everyone for it.

 
Ian Dunn
863969.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote

coldalarm wrote:
I've got to say I'm rather staggered that a transgender-related question was sensitively handled (or as sensitively as one would expect from a comedy show). Kudos to everyone for it.


All you need now is for that question to be given to a transgender comedian.

 
britishsm
864038.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Was it not in one of the QI Books about the "Elfin' Safety" doing away with the dangerous old fireman's pole - when in fact it was simply a planning decision to put the building all on one level.
Surprised the nugget wasn't slipped in just for completeness and a bit of CB-Fryishness on H&S .. GONE MAD!! ... :)

B.

 
Strawberry
864040.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote

i've heard of the tran tax collectors before as they were mentioned in a series called Paul Merton in India. Also, i thought Stephen Fry's tie and jacket looked cool.

 
Gooische Vrijgezel
864044.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote

britishsm wrote:
Was it not in one of the QI Books about the "Elfin' Safety" doing away with the dangerous old fireman's pole


The fireman's pole was yet another repeated item. Series F, episode 2. H&S gone mad was a forfeit.

 
aTao
864057.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Yet again we are presented with the falsehood that paper is only made from wood (see posts concerning H series episode 6). post 801989

Paper is ANY cellulose fibre that has been chemically linked to produce often just a single molecule that is a sheet of paper.

Merriam-Webster also misrepresents paper as felted. Felting is a purely mechanical linking, paper as I said employs a chemical bond

 
Celebaelin
864074.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote

The program didn't say paper was made from wood (put an 'only' either before or after 'made' if you want) it said no trees are cut down to produce American bank notes as they are made from linen which as you say is also cellulose (1-4β-D linked Glucose polymer) because it in turn is made from cotton.

He actually preferences it with "And there's that old quiz question..."

There were rather a lot of recycled facts in this program it's true but I'm not sure they were scripted (perhaps we will be told) - the American bank note came up if you recall because of the question about the symbolism of the eye.

 
Gooische Vrijgezel
864087.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
There were rather a lot of recycled facts in this program it's true but I'm not sure they were scripted (perhaps we will be told) - the American bank note came up if you recall because of the question about the symbolism of the eye.


I'm pretty sure the ones I mentioned were improvized. I'm not sure if I'ld count the money one, because I think Stephen Fry was looking to his right and sort of checked if Alan Davies still remembered the fact. You can refer to old items, but you shouldn't use an old fact, old story or old joke as if it was interesting and new. If they don't manage that by editing or by allowing Alan Davies to award a -10 instead of being polite, the problem will increase in the future, but you'll also want to maintain the creativity.

If it was scripted, and the QI Elves would recycle old items on purpose, the new question about narrow houses in Amsterdam could easily have been replaced by an old question, about small windows, in Amsterdam from an earlier Dutch QI episode (I also wouldn't count such a re-use, the average viewer won't know about every language edition anyway). The problem is caused by the number of episodes.

The mute swans may have been wrong indeed, I think mr. Fry did say swanS (plurar, in general) as opposed to a possible specific, single, record breaking, extremely heavy, mute swan.


Last edited by Gooische Vrijgezel on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

 
Gooische Vrijgezel
864094.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote

Gooische Vrijgezel wrote:
Possible minor error, depending on what a fine is:


It's an error, but the reason why was lost due to the zillionth browser crash. I didn't know dancing bears were that important... In Dutch, sorry. I'm not going to translate it twice:

Wetboek van Strafrecht, Eerste Boek, Titel IIA Maatregelen (i.e. (additional) measures, not Titel II's Straffen/fines), Eerste afdeling Onttrekking aan het verkeer, ontneming van het wederrechtelijk verkregen voordeel en schadevergoeding, Artikelen 36a-36f (mainly 36e), valid today

In short: speeding, fine 40. But you won a 10,000 bet by speeding. Fine 40, additional payment to the government of 10,000. So you didn't earn 9,960. "Misdaad loont niet". Crime doesn't pay.

Why reasonable deductions? It's about all net criminal gains, to be determined or estimated by the judge. The gain may be 0.00. "Pluk ze". Pluck 'em. "Maar een kale kip kun je niet plukken". But you cannot pluck a bald chicken.

The key word is the (additional) "maatregel", which is not a fine. Net gains are taken from the criminal, often to be paid to the government (Staat der Nederlanden).

The source, "wetten.overheid.nl": laws.government.nl.

 
Efros
864101.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote

I remember reading of a major advance during WWII in paper manufacture that allowed it to be made from straw. IIRC the points at which leaves come of the main stem were too difficult to pulp and caused issues, someone managed to get around this. Cigarette paper is made from flax or rice paper, bible paper has some wood but is also comprised of flax, cotton and linen fibres.


The advance I think was to do with brewing the mashed fibres to break down the knots, I stress think, as I can't seem to find any refs.

 
Gooische Vrijgezel
864107.  Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Cigarette paper is made from flax or rice paper


I may have seen it here before: the Rizla brand of the Lacroix family is a combination of Riz (rice), La, and a Croix (cross).

If somebody is using those cigarette papers, borrow the package and ask the owner desperately if it's okay if you use the last one.

If the owner says that's no problem, clearly tear all of the cigarette papers out of the package and ... use the last one.

 
aTao
864112.  Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
The program didn't say paper was made from wood (put an 'only' either before or after 'made' if you want) it said no trees are cut down to produce American bank notes as they are made from linen which as you say is also cellulose (1-4β-D linked Glucose polymer) because it in turn is made from cotton.


He said that no trees were used to produce US bank notes since they were not made from paper but that they were linen.

Linen is made from flax (Linum usitatissimum),not cotton. Strictly speaking, as is the want here, linen paper is not truly linen since paper is not a fabric.

 
Celebaelin
864115.  Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:20 am Reply with quote

aTao wrote:
Linen is made from flax (Linum usitatissimum),not cotton.

I didn't know that. The first thing I think of is bed linen, most of which is not made of actual linen I suppose.

aTao wrote:
He said that no trees were used to produce US bank notes since they were not made from paper but that they were linen.

Quite right, for the sake of absolute accuracy after Stephen asked the question about how many trees Alan said that he supposed they weren't made of paper so none and Stephen said "Exactly, they're not made of paper they're made of linen" thus making a mistake which the initial question manges to avoid.

Talking of recycling roughly 30% of paper is actually made from, erm, paper of course.

 
djgordy
864132.  Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:12 am Reply with quote

aTao wrote:
Linen is made from flax (Linum usitatissimum),not cotton. Strictly speaking, as is the want here, linen paper is not truly linen since paper is not a fabric.


Better tell these people then.

www.squidoo.com/FannieFabricPaper

 

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group