View previous topic | View next topic

Dangerous nuts...

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

gingham_frocks_rock
40195.  Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Nutmeg is the seed of the myristica tree and mace is the stuff which covers the seed.

Thanks Flash. I was rather hoping that they were, and 'dangerous' at that. Thought I might uncover some exciting tales from the Nutmeg plantations and cargoes back in the dark ages but it was clearly not to be.

Did not know that about the cinnammon. Anyone else here drink Greek Tea - english tea with cinnammon and cloves in? It sure is tasty.

gerontius grumpus
40211.  Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote

So the Royal Horticultural society is not a source then?

Ihave looked it up and I admit I was wrong I will ivestigate further.

I also found a site about nutmeg which said when the Dutch East India Company controlled the trade in nutmeg, they had it packed in lime so that it couldn't be grown in other colonies.

Apparently some nutmeg is still coated in lime as a preservative.

Celebaelin
40242.  Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:27 am Reply with quote

Nutmeg is both hallucinogenic and poisonous if consumed in sufficient quantities

Quote:
MACMILLAN DICTIONARY OF TOXICOLOGY:

myristicin
A naturally occurring methylenedioxyphenyl compound found in nutmeg. It has been suggested that myristicin may be responsible, in whole or in part, for the toxicity of nutmeg. The spice (5-15g) causes symptoms similar to atropine poisoning: flushing of skin, tachycardia, absence of salivation, and excitation of the central nervous system. Euphoria and hallucinations have given rise to abuse of this material. As a methylenedioxyphenyl compound, myristicin gives rise to a type III spectrum with reduced cytochrome P-450 and can inhibit monooxygenations catalyzed by this cytochrome. See also AMPHETAMINES; CYTOCHROME P-450, OPTICAL DIFFERENCE SPECTRA; HALLUCINOGENS.

Quote:
ILLUSTRATED CHURCHILL'S MEDICAL DICTIONARY (page 1227) and
INTERNATIONAL DICTIONARY OF MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY (page 1868)
(These have exactly the same text.)

myristicin
A toxic, crystalline, safrole derivative present in star anise, parsley seed oil, and nutmeg oil. When ingested in large quantities, it can cause convulsions, hallucinations, tachycardia, and possibly death.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/nutmeg/nutmeg_faq.shtml

Quote:
Dear Cecil:

Reliable sources have informed me of the LSD-like properties of nutmeg. Eat sufficient quantities, they say, and you trip. One dude told me he washed down about 15 grams with OJ and a Skor bar and when he woke up, he was high. I followed the formula dutifully and nothing happened. What's the dope? --James Como, Bronxville, New York

Dear James:

Elvis, Aerosmith, and now nutmeg. If you post-baby boomers are tired of this ancient history, don't blame me--you're the ones who keep bringing it up. According to Hal Morgan and Kerry Tucker, authors of a book called Rumor! (a splendid volume, if not quite as grand in scope as my own collected works), nutmeg does have hallucinogenic properties, if you eat enough. The high lasts about 24 hours. Unfortunately, the side effects include nausea, dehydration, and generalized body pain. Might as well stick to margaritas.

--CECIL ADAMS

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_114b.html

gingham_frocks_rock
40249.  Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:01 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
So the Royal Horticultural society is not a source then?

Ihave looked it up and I admit I was wrong I will ivestigate further.

I also found a site about nutmeg which said when the Dutch East India Company controlled the trade in nutmeg, they had it packed in lime so that it couldn't be grown in other colonies.

The Nutmeg trade was a very serious business.
If anyone is interested, Norah Lofts wrote a brilliant novel about the nutmeg plantations - Silver Nutmeg. The story is fictional, but I believe she researched her books pretty well.

Frederick The Monk
40320.  Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote

It would also be worth readingNathaniel's Nutmeg, by Giles Milton which deals with the very dangerous trade in nutmeg from the Banda islands in the 17th century. The story focusses on Nathaniel Courthope, an employee of the East India Company, who took and held the tiny nutmeg-producing island of Run in the face of overwhelming Dutch opposition for more than five years, before being murdered in 1620. Courthope's heroism led to the English taking the Dutch colony of Manhattan in revenge for the death of Courthope and the loss of Run. The subsequent peace deal between the two nations gave Holland Run and the British Manhattan and so New York was born.....

samivel
40387.  Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote

I've read that, it was great. Packed with information and written with the verve of a cracking historical novel.

Jenny
40438.  Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:07 pm Reply with quote

I've read that too - excellent book.

Celebaelin
40477.  Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:43 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:

Hmmm limey.

Oh, you meant the other lime, right?

gingham_frocks_rock
40723.  Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Frederick The Monk wrote:
It would also be worth reading[i]Nathaniel's Nutmeg[\i], by Giles Milton which deals with the very dangerous trade in nutmeg from the Banda islands in the 17th century. The story focusses on Nathaniel Courthope, an employee of the East India Company, who took and held the tiny nutmeg-producing island of Run in the face of overwhelming Dutch opposition for more than five years, before being murdered in 1620. Courthope's heroism led to the English taking the Dutch colony of Manhattan in revenge for the death of Courthope and the loss of Run. The subsequent peace deal between the two nations gave Holland Run and the British Manhattan and so New York was born.....

Thanks for the tip, I'll look it up.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2