View previous topic | View next topic

What D?

Page 1 of 1

gerontius grumpus
39715.  Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote

What D links Lascelles Abercombie, Wilfred Gibson, John Drinkwater, Rupert Brooke, Robert Frost and Edward Thomas?

djgordy
39724.  Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote

Charlie Dymock was their muse.

samivel
39725.  Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote

Well, they're all dead...

gerontius grumpus
39733.  Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:08 am Reply with quote

Oh how annoying, a hit on the first reply, made more so by reference to the misguided horticulturalist.
I thought that forgotten corner of Gloucestershire would take a little longer to emerge.

djgordy
39737.  Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:00 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
Oh how annoying, a hit on the first reply, made more so by reference to the misguided horticulturalist.
I thought that forgotten corner of Gloucestershire would take a little longer to emerge.

For those of you that haven't caught up, the people mentioned had a poetical gathering at the Gloucestershire village of Dymock, near Ledbury, in 1914, which was known as the Muse Colony. Hence, 'Charlie Dymock was their muse'.

I have to admit some local knowledge as I have some relatives who moved to the area.

gerontius grumpus
39770.  Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:27 am Reply with quote

I could have been awkward and said it was daffodils, because the woods in that area, including Ryton Woods mentioned in some of their poetry, are famous for their wild daffodils.

But I'm not going to be that mean.

Several other writers visited the colony , including Arthur Ransome who was a friend of Lascelles Abercrombie.

Page 1 of 1