View previous topic | View next topic

Olympic special

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

violetriga
859790.  Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote

The 2012 Olympics will not fall in the traditional QI broadcasting window, but there could still be a special recorded. Would it be a good idea? Would it be jumping on the bandwagon of something that will already be taking over the country? Or is it a great opportunity to have an unusual, sport-themed edition?

eggshaped
859792.  Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:42 am Reply with quote

To my knowledge it has been mooted, but there is nothing definite yet.

We have actually done a short sport-related special for Sport Relief as well, which I guess will be aired later in the year.

Sadurian Mike
860090.  Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote

I imagine many people will be sick to death of the Olympics by the time it is on. If a QI special is made, it might be worth remembering that point, although if the programme is true to form it will be a refreshingly irreverent look at the event.

mckeonj
860142.  Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote

You could have a look at the Cotswold Olympics; cheese rolling, shin kicking, and so on.
Or maybe a Para-Olympic event; where the panel and host are all 'differently abled'.

Ian Dunn
860159.  Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
Or maybe a Para-Olympic event; where the panel and host are all 'differently abled'.

So would be on that panel? Warwick Davis? Francesca Martinez? Tanni Grey-Thompson?

violetriga
860267.  Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quote

If it were to happen hopefully it would cover the US Flag Dipping saga, which seems to be widely misreported.

AlmondFacialBar
860276.  Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:12 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
mckeonj wrote:

So would be on that panel? Warwick Davis? Francesca Martinez? Tanni Grey-Thompson?

Tom Shakespeare! He'd still be just as amazing a panellist as the last time I mentioned him. Outside that - Evelyn Glennis?

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

djgordy
860295.  Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:02 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
I imagine many people will be sick to death of the Olympics by the time it is on.

We're sick to death of it now.

djgordy
860296.  Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:05 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:

Yes, I'm sure it wouldn't be at all offensive to have people on the panel just because of their perceived disabilities.

AlmondFacialBar
860305.  Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
mckeonj wrote:

Yes, I'm sure it wouldn't be at all offensive to have people on the panel just because of their perceived disabilities.

Wouldn't that be for them to decide? Something tells me that for instance Warwick Davis would be more than happy to do it.

AlmondFacialBar

djgordy
860312.  Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:

Wouldn't that be for them to decide?

Ring ring, ring ring.

"Hello. Q.I. here. We're doing a special on crip....erm.. I mean "differently abled people". The idea is that we would have a programme in which the panelists aren't treated as individuals in their own right but we concentrate on the things that we think make them different from everybody else. We'd like to know if you'd like to come along and be patronised? All the other people on the panel will be crip...erm... I'm mean differently abled too. You would? Lovely. See you there."

Sadurian Mike
860317.  Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:28 am Reply with quote

Or just say that it is Para-Olympics specials and, as competitors, we'd like them to be on the panel.

djgordy
860338.  Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote

Of course, I don't see why there shouldn't be a proper Olympics programme too. That way some black people could be invited on ( 'cos they're really good at running and jumping) and they could be patronised too.

Sadurian Mike
860352.  Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote

Or we could have a show that invites comedians and other interesting people. Then we could choose to define them as minority groups rather than the interesting and entertaining people that they are.

Is 'Question of Sport' guilty of patronising black people because it invites sportsmen on, some of whom are black? What about Mastermind? I seem to recall some of the contestants there are not white and at least one I've seen had a wheelchair?

The Para-Olympics is designed for disabled athletes. Is it patronising or simply acknowledging that disabled people might actually be good at athletics when matched against similarly disabled contestants?

AlmondFacialBar
860370.  Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote

Gordy, WTF? Is that a chip on your shoulder I spy, or don't you know what you're talking about or what?

a) It takes two people for patronising, one to do the patronising and one to let it happen to them. I can't really imagine anyone intelligent and witty enough to be a QI panellist letting it happen to them.

b) The Paralympics are a huge awareness raiser about the athletic prowess of people with disabilities. Why not have a Para-QI as an intellectual and comedic counterpart? (And I could equally well imagine, say, a gay QI during pride season, a multicultural QI during the holiday season instead of the Christmas one etc. Sometimes it's justified and good to have people on a program not only for who they are but also for what they represent, and disability awareness might just be one of these causes.)

c) WTF again? You're not giving a voice to the voiceless there, but instead taking it away from people who are perfectly able to speak/ sign/ use assistive communication devices for themselves. Give them a call (or let the elves do so) and let them make up their own minds if they want to be on a programm because they're not only highly intelligent, interesting, witty people but also happen to have disabilities! Don't make the decision for them, because that's the most patronising thing you can do to anyone and therefore rather counterproductive to your own ideas, don't you think?

AlmondFacialBar

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next