View previous topic | View next topic

24 hours of madness errs.

Page 1 of 1

Mishy7
859039.  Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote

Two things about the 24 hours of madness special:

First you guys said that a platypus is a mammal. When I was a kid I learned that the platypus and echidna are monotremes because they are mammals that lay eggs. Last I knew they were the only species of monotremes in the world. Maybe biologists have decided that they're now just normal mammals, but I haven't heard that as of yet.

Also, does the size of somebody's feet reflect the size of your shoes? On a previous episode (I can't remember which one) it was said that it DOESN'T and then on the 24 hours of madness it was said that it DOES. Which one is it?

dr.bob
859045.  Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quote

Mishy7 wrote:
First you guys said that a platypus is a mammal. When I was a kid I learned that the platypus and echidna are monotremes because they are mammals that lay eggs.

Monotremes are mammals that lay eggs. I don't see how this is in any way in conflict with defining them as mammals, since "mammals" is pretty much the first word in the definition of a monotreme.

Mishy7 wrote:
Also, does the size of somebody's feet reflect the size of your shoes? On a previous episode (I can't remember which one) it was said that it DOESN'T and then on the 24 hours of madness it was said that it DOES. Which one is it?

I'm pretty sure you're right that it was stated that the size of somebody's feet doesn't reflect the size of their shoes, though I also cannot remember in which episode that was.

Sylvia
859063.  Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
I'm pretty sure you're right that it was stated that the size of somebody's feet doesn't reflect the size of their shoes, though I also cannot remember in which episode that was.

Episode 7 in the F series; it was stated that shoe size is determined by hand size, not foot size.

Ameena
859152.  Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote

On the subject of mammals, there are three types...
Monotremes - These consist only of (as far as I know) the duck-billed platypus and the echidna. They are mammals yet they lay eggs.
Marsupials - Kangaroos, etc, which give birth to something that's little more than a foetus and carry it around in an external pouch until its developed enough.
And finally, placental mammals - Everything else, whose young gestates inside the mother and is given birth to once developed enough. These can then be either precocious or altricial - the former is fully-developed and capable of properly moving around and stuff and generally resembles a smaller version of the parent from birth (includes stuff like guinea pigs and horses), while the latter is generally a bit more pink and wriggly and generally helpless from birth so needs a lot of care and attention in order to survive and grow up (eg dogs, cats, rats).
So yeah...the duck-billed platypus is a mammal ;).

Page 1 of 1