View previous topic | View next topic

DELETED

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nitwit02
453279.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote

We have lots of 'bendy' buses over here. Why don't people like them in the UK?

Sadurian Mike
453283.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote

Possibly it's as simple as Londoners liking their iconic red double-deckers and bendy buses looking alien and foreign on the London streets.

For me they just don't sit right, like seeing an old red BT telephone box in Paris or a chalet in Egypt.

nitwit02
453285.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote

You've got something there Mike. I hear that the lovely red phone booths are almost gone now (sob) - but surely the red DD is still around?

bobwilson
453293.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
So there you have it. It's due to traffic, delays, and passengers. I could have told them that. Could I have £1m, please?

I think garrick should get the million. It was bloody obvious to me but he did say it first.

As for why no buses turn up - I've got that one cracked too.

The bus operators don't want to run buses that don't turn a profit. I have a marvellous proof for this (if anyone's offering a million pound prize) but sadly i can't post it here in case someone from Leeds University claims it.

bobwilson
453294.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the problem with articulated buses?

If you mean bendy buses - they're bloody dangerous to cyclists.

Sadurian Mike
453308.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote

nitwit02 wrote:
You've got something there Mike. I hear that the lovely red phone booths are almost gone now (sob) - but surely the red DD is still around?

I've not been to London since the QI recording and I only nipped across from the train station then. I've not really had a chance to look out for the buses for many years, so you'd be better asking someone local.

simonp
453362.  Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:
What is the problem with articulated buses?

If you mean bendy buses - they're bloody dangerous to cyclists.

bendy/articulated.

In what way are they dangerous? why is there not a campaign to remove these
from the streets too?

Davini994
453600.  Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote

IIRC, there were some increased dangerous incidents on first introduction, but the picture from abroad and after this wasn't any worse.

By the way, TfL did a study a couple of months back on the cost of replacing - £12.6m per annum, on 3 routes.

It also looks like us outside of London might get some of the buses from the fallout when Boris finally gets rid of them in 2015. Cool!

simonp
453625.  Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote

Cascading. When a bus company renews its fleet in one area and passes the secondhand buses to its provincial arms, usually followed by selling off the very oldest vehicles. The contracts that firms are given by Tfl in some cases specify the age of vehicles (and the recent LEZ has tightened this still further) and when they can no longer be used in London.
I'm looking forward to articulated buses being sold off/transferred, as i believe the company i work for is considering them for one of our routes :-)

suze
453654.  Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote

nitwit02 wrote:
surely the red DD is still around?

There are still red double deck vehicles trundling around the streets of London, yes.

But very few of them are the traditional Routemasters any more. Those were officially retired in 2005, but continued to be used for some services on routes 9 and 15.

As far as I can tell, the only other places that still use them for scheduled service are Edinburgh and Montréal (in both cases, for a route intended more as a tour of the city than as a transportation service).

IronMonkey
513814.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote

I've read a book with the title Why Do Buses Come In Threes and it is Quite Interesting, it does explain it.

I have actually seen it happen because I live on a long bus route.

tonylambell
1035188.  Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote

I am Tony Lambell. This fellow got a bill because I was fed up with him trying to sue my company for damages. He is lucky to be alive. If it wasn't for the quick actions of the bus driver he would have been squashed. There were loads of witnesses all saying Mr Green stepped out without looking. Would have been nice if our driver had got a 'Thank You' from Green instead of a barrage of summonses.

chrisboote
1035231.  Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote

Oh crap, is that tedious old fart still going?
He was my Operational Research Professor at Leeds in 1984-5, and I fell asleep in every single one of his lectures
He must have been about 60 then!
Without a doubt the worst 'educator' I have ever had the misfortune to meet

Spud McLaren
1035470.  Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:06 am Reply with quote

chrisboote wrote:

Oh crap, is that tedious old fart still going?
Garrick92 was writing back in Jan 2004, so possibly not.

chrisboote
1035485.  Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:48 am Reply with quote

Phew!

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next