View previous topic | View next topic

Heartbreak

Page 3 of 62
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 60, 61, 62  Next

Sadurian Mike
858455.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote

By letting him go with dignity and without suffering more pain, you are showing him far more love than keeping him struggling through the suffering for what would be selfish reasons.

You are doing the right thing but I know it is still a horrible decision to make.

plach
858495.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote

Yorz, I feel so sad for you and for doglet and I send you both hugs. This is a really tough time but remember this----you had love and gave love with a wonderful companion. You brought joy into doglet's life and you are together at the end. The loss will be so incredibly sad, but you have done all you can to make doglet's life a good one, and to ease this passing. When you say that final goodbye, I (and so many others here) will be right behind you---in our hearts.

Arcane
858502.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote

Janet H wrote:
How's things in dog world today, Yorz?

Despite the unpleasantness involved, I can't help but feel a tiny twinge of jealousy. When our pet animals are on the way out, we can help them with a swift and painless exit.

We humans have no such benefit, but have our deaths medically prolonged beyond decency or compssion, with no legal opt out. How many of us have left hospitals thinking, "I wouldn't let a dog suffer like that"

[edit - Sorry, obviously a personal sore point!]

If we allow an animal to suffer pain, we can be charged with animal cruelty. Yet humans are to be expected to suffer through terminal illnesses with "dignity" and we are supposedly cognitive and intelligent beings with self determination. We have to jump through legal hoops and in most cases are denied the right to peacefully end our own lives. It is yet another one of those sadly ironic situations I do not understand about the world.

A personal sore point with me too Janet.

When I left home I couldn't take my little dog with me. I missed her terribly so she stayed with my parents and she was very happy and well loved. While I was overseas for several weeks, her heart began to give out, and not long before I got back, my mum had to make the difficult decision to put her to sleep because she was too ill to keep going and was suffering. There were no legal hoops to jump through, it was seen as the kind thing to do. My mum said she went quietly and it was comforting in a way to see this lovely little dog who had given so much love to everyone around her (we swore she was a person with fur at times) peaceful and not in any more pain. My lovely step dad even paid for her to be cremated and my parents have her ashes, with a little Cavalier figurine with angel wings on top. I was there when her puppies were born, and although I wasn't there with her when she went, I go to my mums and she's there, in a way.

Leith
858846.  Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear your news, 'yorz. Sympathies and best wishes to you and Eeyore.

'yorz
858847.  Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, Leith.

All these messages of support do me the world of good.

'yorz
859254.  Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote

1995-2011

My fearless Highland Haggis Retriever
My silly little man
My lovely, lovely, doglet

Last edited by 'yorz on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Spud McLaren
859263.  Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote

I'm so sorry, 'yorz, but you did the right thing, and you know you did.

Sadurian Mike
859265.  Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote

Bless 'im.

Have a hug from me, 'yorz. You've done the right thing by him.

Southpaw
859267.  Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote

He looks like a capital fellow 'yorz, sorry you had to let him go.

Strawberry
859268.  Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:42 am Reply with quote

* Hug * for Yorz. Whenever you've mentioned Eeyore, it's seemed that you loved each other and that you did your best to care for him and give him a good home. RIP, Eeyore.

Ameena
859278.  Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote

Awww, bye bye dopey-looking yet highly lovable mutt :(. At least you can be glad he's not in any more pain or anything, so your last memory of him isn't a horrible one.

filofax
859301.  Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote

Although I never knew him, I now will forever have an image of him leaping through fields of high grass on his pogo stick, and in his final days lying in the sunbeams that moved across your floor through your new door, surveying his world through the glass.
He was your good, happy dog for 16 years, and you should be proud of that.

Jenny
859314.  Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote

Big hugs ((('yorz))). It was the right thing to do, but it's awfully sad. That's a lovely photo of him.

Filofax - I love your post. It gives a great picture of Eeyore.

Janet H
859326.  Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote

A lovely tribute to a faithful old hound. And praise to you for knowing when to say 'enoiugh' on his behalf.

monzac
859360.  Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote

Goodbye, little doglet.

xx

Page 3 of 62
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 60, 61, 62  Next