View previous topic | View next topic

Heartbreak

Page 2 of 62
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 60, 61, 62  Next

filofax
857434.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:39 am Reply with quote

what resonated most with me was

Quote:
Doglet is trusting you to do the right thing.

I will try to bear that in mind when the time comes for me and Spot.

Lukecash is evidently wise and inspirational!

'yorz
857437.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:51 am Reply with quote

That trust is weighing so heavy, and the thought to release him when still feeling good somehow lifts it a bit.
If that makes sense.

Jenny
857571.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote

Yes it does make sense, and I think Lukecash is absolutely right. My original cat lived to 17 1/2 and really his last month or two was not much quality of life. He didn't appear to be in pain, but he wasn't eating much and he slept all the time and was clearly not well, though the vet said there wasn't anything we could do as it was pretty much old age. He died naturally, but in retrospect it would have been kinder to have him put to sleep a little sooner.

My oldest cat at the moment is also 17 1/2, but I can see she is in much better health than my first cat was. She walks a little creakily and it's harder work for her to jump up on the couch and sit next to me, but she still likes to go outside on a nice day and sit in the sunshine, and she comes for her evening cuddle and attention.

hassan el kebir
857628.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote

Evil hugs and things, 'yorz. It has to be one of the hardest things to do yet, when the time comes, is the kindest of things to do.

Hang on in there, 'yorz. I shall think thoughts for you both.

strawhat
857633.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote

*Hugs to yorz, and gentle hugs for Eeyore*

I know how hard it is to lose such a beloved friend. I cried for hours when I heard my wonderful cat Jerico had died. He had a neurological problem that couldn't be cured, he just slowly closed down over a few days and went to sleep. No pain for him, but a lot for everyone else.

sjb
858331.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote

Hang in there 'yorz. I've seen very improbable recoveries, unexpected demises, and everything in between. We just have to take what life gives us and deal with it as best we can.

::put the kettle on::

::hugs::

Hot toddy anyone?

Janet H
858357.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote

How's things in dog world today, Yorz?

Despite the unpleasantness involved, I can't help but feel a tiny twinge of jealousy. When our pet animals are on the way out, we can help them with a swift and painless exit.

We humans have no such benefit, but have our deaths medically prolonged beyond decency or compssion, with no legal opt out. How many of us have left hospitals thinking, "I wouldn't let a dog suffer like that"

[edit - Sorry, obviously a personal sore point!]

'yorz
858376.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote

Doglet is really slowing down, and by evening time is quite uncomfortable.
The vet will be coming Tuesday, around 10.15 am.
A friend will be here too. Another friend will dig a hole in the garden somewhat later, so I have time to be with Eeyore and can do everything at my own pace.

I do understand your 'personal sore point', Janet. I honestly do. In cases where it's clear that life means just irreversible pain or complete loss of dignity, it should be easier and within the law to let people slip away gently.

But I have never in my life agonised so hard over a decision as this time. I'm absolutely drained.

sjb
858379.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote

Ya know, if we can figure out what prairie dogs are 'saying' then why can't we discern man's best friend's final wishes?

Tenshi
858384.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote

Hugs to you yorz. It's a horrible situation to be in. I know its hard and telling yourself you're doing the right thing doesn't stop the pain.

As always the Qi community is here for you. Take it at your own pace and try your best to kept calm as pets pick up on human stress.

I can't imagine how horrible this is for you. Our family has always owned cats but we've never had to make the decision you're making. It. IS the right thing, never forget that.

*More hugs*

'yorz
858388.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote

Thanks, Tenshi :)

Janet H
858399.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote

I'm sure you're doing the decent and humane thing to do. Which doesn't make it any easier.

tetsabb
858406.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote

My thoughts are with you 'yorz

The best we can do for our pets is give them a good life for as long as poss, and then try to get it right as you are now.

Big hugs

Spike
858438.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote

Much sympathy 'Yorz.

orablu
858453.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote

i'm so very sorry to read this, 'yorz;
since i've been on this forum, i've seen pics of the doglet, and heard so many stories of him; i'm feeling for you both.
it's not an easy thing to decide, and i'm sorry you have to make a decision like that. but you better than anyone knows what's best for doglet, and i do believe that it's better to give him a few beautiful days now, while he still can enjoy them, than make him continue, while his pain keeps getting worse.
during my 22 years, we've had two dogs that are now gone(and one that's still with us, bless him). one of them got very ill; he suffered a great deal while we did all we could to prolong his life and keep him with us; and though we got time to deal with it, and to prepare for the worst, i think it would have been better for him if we'd just let him go earlier; the other dog died unexpectedly, during the night; we found her in her dog house, lying as though asleep. it was very tough on us, but it was comforting to know that she didn't have to suffer very long, and that she didn't have to go through those months of pain.
still, it's not easy, and i think you're very brave.
hugs to both you and the doglet.

Last edited by orablu on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Page 2 of 62
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 60, 61, 62  Next