View previous topic | View next topic

Series I, Episode 6: Inventive

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Sadurian Mike
857421.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quote

Maybe invite Ms Conti back on without her clothes.

I mean puppet.

dr.bob
857422.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quote

I think the 30 minute show was a bit too focussed on one subject. I remember that, once they'd finished with the ventriloquism question (that seemed to be one of the early questions), I looked at the clock and was shocked to discover there was only about 5 minutes of the show left.

I agree that the XL version was a bit more balanced. I also think that Nina Conti worked well on the show. I agree with most people that, had the show not been based around ventriloquism, she wouldn't have worked nearly so well, so it may well not be a good idea to have her back, but the show was still funny, enjoyable, and informative.

Sadurian Mike
857423.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:

* Yes, if she played her card right she could have my body.

What if she only wanted it so she could stick her hand up your bum and make you talk?

That would do the trick alright....

Neotenic
857428.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:53 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Much more constructive and less depressing than reading Twitter during that episode

The more I see of Twitter, the less I want to. I read through some of the stuff on Richard Herring's feed after he got involved with Ricky Gervais and his use of the word 'mong' and was horrified by it.

Quote:
I must say that I thought the XL version came out much better than the 30 minute episode in this instance. I wonder if the 30 minute one just had too much ventriloquism; there is now, I see, a large proportion of the population that really hates the art.

It was a previous episode that said there were only about 15 ventriloquists left, wasn't it? I think perhaps we see why.

I guess one factor is that the heyday for them was also the heyday of music hall and variety - and so it works as a short sharp act amongst a host of others, but the act doesn't really stand up on it's own for any protracted period, really. And, as we see in retrospect, doesn't really tesselate with banter either.

One thing I thought was particularly telling was that Bill's incompetent puppetry flailing elicited much bigger laughs than any of the more skilful displays.

But as the distinction between QI and QI XL has come up again, perhaps you can confirm - is XL simply a longer cut, or are there ever things in the short edit that aren't in the XL?

eggshaped
857447.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote

I haven't been in the editing studio at all this year, but as I understand it, we cut a 45 minute show then remove 15 minutes worth.

Twitter's great for some things, if you follow @qikipedia then I'm sure you'll agree :) - but like every form of communication you get some fairly undesirable stuff on there. With the Ricky Gervais thing, as with Charlie Brooker's 'lizard'-gate last week, what in the past might be glossed-over as a lame attempt at a joke gets pounced on by sycophantic followers who then use playground tactics to show their allegiance to one side or other.

Neotenic
857482.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't been in the editing studio at all this year, but as I understand it, we cut a 45 minute show then remove 15 minutes worth.

Phew. I thought that was the case.

I shall most certainly stick to my XL-only strategy.

coldalarm
857514.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Lots of good points on this thread - thanks. Much more constructive and less depressing than reading Twitter during that episode.

I must say that I thought the XL version came out much better than the 30 minute episode in this instance. I wonder if the 30 minute one just had too much ventriloquism; there is now, I see, a large proportion of the population that really hates the art.

I've not watched the XL version, so I can't comment on it.

Nina was good, but I think it wasn't a... Hm... I agree with some of those above who said she should have dropped the act for the most part, because I think it ended up with her trying too hard to be funny - I know Bill really took to it, so good on him for that. She seemed to be quite intelligent and knowledgeable, and she should be brought back BUT! her routine should not be performed on QI. It's a quiz show about intelligent and interesting things, not a village talent show. If it had been restricted to just the question about ventriloquism, I think it would have worked much better. Many of her comments/jokes would have been just as funny if it had been her saying them, not Gran.

My major problem was Sean Lock. To me, it seemed that even Stephen was getting annoyed with him and his attitude (At times Stephen seemed a bit snippy and short with him). He was just being a complete and utter, please pardon my French, coq. Whereas the rest of the group were making the best of it, he basically threw his toys out of the pram and sulked, thus causing the episode to suffer.

Traveller69
857544.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote

Well, I have to rewatch the show. All in all it had some pretty funny moments.

I agree with some here that say that Nina should have dropped gran after the first ten minutes. I found her to be very funny and witty in parts of the show.

Couldn't recall the actions of Sean Lock as described but maybe I notice them in the rewatching (possibly I didn't notice it because English isn't my main language).

Jenny
857596.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote

I normally only watch the regular version, but I watched the XL version this time, and I agree with those posters who said that Nina Conti worked better on the XL version and the whole ventriloquism thing dominated the shorter version too much. She was an interesting guest, but didn't have much to say that wasn't vent-related. There was a lot of fun around the vent dolls - I enjoyed Bill's work there, and Alan's.

I didn't really notice anything about Sean Lock's behaviour that struck me as out of place.

plach
857777.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't really notice anything about Sean Lock's behaviour that struck me as out of place.

I agree with Jenny.

I don't think Sean was at his best on this show, but I certainly didn't think he displayed a bad attitude. He seemed a bit off--that's all. I've certainly seen him behave worse on the show. But let me quickly add that I like his comedy. Sean has been part of many of my favorite QI bits.

I also watched the XL version after reading comments here. I also think it was the better of the two.

CB27
857832.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote

Looking at the XL version on the iPlayer, I think what some of us have noticed is that if you go to around 13:40 when Sean is joking around, Nina uses Gran to make an off cuff comment and for a while after that Sean only contributes a little, I think he may have taken it personally, or it may have been the slightly protracted discussion Stephen had with Nina.

Then, from 25:20, the section with the objects, when Stephen turns to Sean and asks him what he thinks the bottle is for and he answers "for putting stuff in", it first looks like Stephen turns away for comic effect, but I think what some people notice is that he's not smiling. Then at 30 mins in Stephen turns back to Sean to see if he's got a better answer and while he seems to be joking, it's one of those things where you're not sure if someone is really joking or not.

I could be wrong, but I think those are the bits that some people have caught.

It could simply be that the comedy timing was a little off and people are reading too much into it :)

coldalarm
857865.  Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote

The section with the objects is what mostly made me think Sean was just being a backside, CB27. I don't know if it happened more in the XL edition, but that's just the impression I got from the regular, and to me that took away from the episode a little.

Jenny
858086.  Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote

I did notice that bit, but really thought he was doing it for comic effect.

Traveller69
858943.  Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote

plach wrote:
Quote:

I agree with Jenny.

I don't think Sean was at his best on this show, but I certainly didn't think he displayed a bad attitude. He seemed a bit off--that's all. I've certainly seen him behave worse on the show. But let me quickly add that I like his comedy. Sean has been part of many of my favorite QI bits.

I also watched the XL version after reading comments here. I also think it was the better of the two.

And I agree wih Plach :)

Sean has been better, but I still find him good on this episode.

Arcane
901446.  Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote

Sorry to re-hash, we only got this ep tonight in Australia.

I'm also sorry to say I thought this was one of the most unfunny QI shows I'd ever seen. Nina Conti (I know her name now) just wasn't funny, her and her puppets presence was jarring and entirely un-QI. If she had been a briefly featured part in the show when it was relevant, then I would have understood, but she didn't contribute anything QI and when she spoke through the puppet nothing amusing at all was said. Lots of dead air and no laughs... eeek. We just sat there going "Errrrrrgh, this is NOT good at all".

I think why Sean Locke seemed so off was that the show just felt uncomfortable, even Bill Bailey didn't seem himself either, everyone looked awkward and so was the atmosphere. I think Stephen, as the host, was desperately trying to jolly things along by paying attention to Ms Conti and it was never going to work. Was she always going to be a guest, or was she a last minute fill in? I'm trying to fathom why she was thought of of being someone who could be QI, more so with that damn annoying puppet.

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next