View previous topic | View next topic

Death erection

Page 1 of 1

violetriga
37791.  Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:17 am Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_erection

An unsourced wiki article, but a little searching around seems to imply some levels of truth to it.

Quote:
a post-mortem erection which occurs when a male individual dies vertically or face-down

"What is a death erection?" might be a little too crude and obvious, so perhaps the question could be posed as "What is angel lust?" (a synonym). An unusual topic, and something I could imagine leading to some interesting discussions (thankyou watershed).

Frederick The Monk
37807.  Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:55 am Reply with quote

The Encyclopedia of Forensic Science (1992) says this of Angel lust as seen in the victims of hanging:

Quote:
"The phenomenon of penile erection has been greatly exaggerated by popular mythology. Nevertheless, slight degrees of engorgement -- with or without the presence of semen -- can be observed in cases of death by hanging, as with other forms of death. It is thought that the effect is due to hypostasis, or perhaps rigor mortis."

QI Individual
37825.  Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote

Once circulation stops due to gravity the blood pools in the lower parts of the body (> post mortem lividity). Also muscle tone will cease.

Very little mystery about it.

samivel
37832.  Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote

Is this why some people practise auto-asphyxiation? I've heard that it makes the orgasm more intense, but I wouldn't know if it was true - the fact that death seems to be a probable outcome puts me off somewhat.

Gaazy
38349.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:17 am Reply with quote

Now you've got me racking my brains trying to remember the poor sod who was found dead with an orange in his mouth. An MP he was, Steven something?

Gaazy
38350.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:22 am Reply with quote

Steven Milligan. Just remembered. A binliner was also involved.

samivel
38352.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:19 am Reply with quote

Aye. Michael Hutchence too, if the stories are true

In William Burroughs' novel The Soft Machine, there are repeated references to men being hanged achieving more intense ejaculations.

Twopints
38361.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:59 am Reply with quote

Spinal injury can also cause an erection.

This was often observed in victims of hanging.

Quote:
A person that has an injury above the collar bone or a head injury resulting in an unconscious state should be suspected of having a neck or head injury with spinal cord damage. Spinal cord injury may be indicated by a lack of responses to stimuli, stomach distention (enlargement), or penile erection.

Gaazy
38362.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote

I read Joyce's Ulysses years ago; I recall a passage about women crowded around a scaffold with hankies ready to mop up the, er, consequences of the hanging.

Last edited by Gaazy on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Lita
38526.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote

^ I think that is probably the most unfortunate thing I've heard in a long while.

tetsabb
38724.  Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote

How long does it last?
Should undertakers remodel the lids of coffins, like a little (or large) codpiece*? Or just hammer it down harder?

*Now there is a bizarre word.....

Twopints
38743.  Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
How long does it last?
Should undertakers remodel the lids of coffins, like a little (or large) codpiece*? Or just hammer it down harder?

*Now there is a bizarre word.....

In Middle English, "Cod" (or "Codd" in Old English, "Coddd" in Exceedingly Old English) meant "bag" or "scrotum".

A history of the codpiece can be found at http://www.thehendricks.net/codpiece_history.htm

Celebaelin
38749.  Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Old joke omitted (likely/guaranteed to cause offence)

Twopints
38785.  Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Old joke omitted (likely/guaranteed to cause offence)

oh go on, I'm not easily offended.

Celebaelin
38920.  Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Other people may well be offended however...if I can figure out how to send you a, an, err, whatever...but please don't post it; the non PC laugh will have to be enough...Surely?

Page 1 of 1