View previous topic | View next topic

Random

Page 1 of 1

MED
851074.  Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote

When I navigate from topic to topic I have noticed 2 anomalies:

1) The users on-line tally can range from just me to many dozens just by changing from one topic to another.
2) When selecting a topic to read, I don't always get directed to page 1 but to a random page in that topic and then I have to click on page 1 to start reading the thread.

Any ideas?

MED
851076.  Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote

And having returned to the index, I am told there are 0 users on-line!!

Jenny
851078.  Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Hi MED and welcome to the QI forums.

The users on-line on the forum index represent, I think, those who are on any of the forums. However, if you go into one particular forum the users shown are just those in that forum.

I think if you select a topic to read, you tend to go to the last page of that topic. If you look on the bar at the top, you can see something that says start= followed by a number (which will be the number of the post at the top of that page). If you want to start reading a thread from the beginning, change the number to 0 and it will take you back to the start of the thread.

If I'm wrong about any of this, dr.bob is the person to ask.

MED
851081.  Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote

Hi Jenny & thanks for the welcome.

Clicked on the SPAM topic to try it out and was taken to page 8, I can't find the start= bit! and there was no users on-line box at all, but it's no great matter as it's easy to click to get to where I want to go to.

Probably wouldn't be random if it wasn't QI

MED
851083.  Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote

And, found this:

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=18474&start=0

Sylvia
851108.  Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:13 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I think if you select a topic to read, you tend to go to the last page of that topic.

I think it takes you to the page containing the first new post in that topic (that is, new since your last visit).

Neotenic
851126.  Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote

It's not random at all.

Clicking the title of the thread, if it has multiple pages, drops you in fourteen posts from the end of the thread.

If you want to view it from the beginning, click on the blue '1'.

dr.bob
851129.  Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote

Actually it's a bit more complicated than that.

Whenever you click on a topic, it shows you the most recent post, and a full page of previous posts. In other words, you see a pageful of the most recent posts on the topic.

To go back to the beginning of the topic, just look to the top right of the first post on the page. You'll see a line starting with "Goto page" and then a list of all the pages in the thread. Click on page 1 to go back to the start.

Where it gets a bit confusing is that it often appears to be showing the penultimate page. For instance, if you click on a thread with 5 pages, you'll often see on the "Goto page" bit at the top right that page 4 seems to be the one you're currently on. In fact this is misleading.

I think it's due to the fact that it always displays a pageful of posts, but page 5 may not contain an entire pageful yet, so it pads it out with some posts from page 4, which is presumably what leads to the confusion.

This is particularly annoying with a two page thread since, when you click on it, the "Goto page" line will claim you're on page 1, even though you can't see the start of the thread. In order to go right back to the beginning, you need to click on page 2, then back onto page 1, which is a bit crap really.

Ameena
851133.  Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote

Or just click the "1" beneath the thread title before entering the thread, which always takes you to the thread start...

suze
851212.  Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote

Another way to do it.

When you go into a thread with multiple pages, the URL comes up in the address bar as something like (random example)

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5364&start=99

If you click into the address bar and change the last bit to "start=0", then you'll go to the beginning. (In the particular example, you should see a five year old post by djgordy.)

Jenny
851234.  Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote

Thanks suze - that's the process I was trying to explain.

MED - it can also be confusing that some very long threads in General Banter, that contain nothing that may be of eventual use to the QI elves, get pruned from the beginning of the thread to minimize the space we use on our server. This tends to be chatty or joky threads though, not threads with discussion or topic substance.

Page 1 of 1