The wind blew it into the deep deep sea
Where the fishes got off their dishes
and ate scallops and ballocks for tea.

Levikelevra
850913.  Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:13 am Reply with quote

yumm Thanks again!

Jenny
850953.  Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote

Can I ask why this verse in particular for Steven and Alan? It's not as if it's an unfamiliar one.

CB27
850967.  Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote

Welcome to the site.

I love the name, it conjured up an image in my mind of an angry dog wearing jeans :)

Brickie
854381.  Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote

See also:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3481932/Nazi-leader-Hitler-really-did-have-only-one-ball.html

A recently-unearthed interview with a friend of the doctor who treated Hitler after his injury at the Somme in 1916.

Quote:
"In 1916 they had their hardest fight in the Battle of the Somme. For several hours, Johan and his friends picked up injured soldiers. He remembers Hitler. They called him the 'Screamer'. He was very noisy. Hitler was screaming 'help, help. His abdomen and legs were all in blood. Hitler was injured in the abdomen and lost one testicle. His first question to the doctor was: 'Will I be able to have children?"

Hardly conclusive proof, but fascinating if it is true.

Sadurian Mike
854557.  Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote

I read up on quite a few sources to see if the uni-bollocked Fuhrer story was true, but that was a long time ago and the post has almost certainly been lost to the mists of forum culling.

The conclusion was... nobody knows for sure. The doctor himself never actually confirmed it, despite being questioned.

bobwilson
854568.  Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote

It seems a bit trivial to criticise Hitler for having one bollock (or even for screaming about it) in the grand scheme of things.

On the whole, the implied criticism of "My old man" (being a dustman and wearing a dustman's cap, not to mention the gor'blimey trousers and living in a council flat) seems to be more calculated to denigrate the person.

I can just imagine the meeting of the Ministry of Propaganda that came up with the song - "What have we got on Hitler then?" - "Well, he's only got one ball" - "That'll do".

CB27
854658.  Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:01 am Reply with quote

I prefer a ministry of propaganda coming up with that instead of suggesting we blame all our mistakes on the Jews...

Sadurian Mike
854710.  Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote

It wasn't the Ministry of Propaganda that came up with the idea anyway, it was from a popular music hall song.

The original, it is claimed (and I am happy to accept) started with the line that Goering had one ball and that Hitler's were very small. Given that Goering was badly wounded in the crotch and lost a testicle during the Munich Putsch, I think it reasonable to assume that the song roles were switched out of wartime nationalism.

The later claims that Hitler was wounded in the crotch during WWI (it was actually the leg) may well be simple alteration of the fact after the event.

rewboss
854744.  Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mDG_Q2r8-Q

Gavin
887265.  Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
She threw it into an apple tree
The wind blew it into the deep deep sea
Where the fishes got off their dishes
and ate scallops and ballocks for tea.

There is another version similar to that.

She threw it into the Yorkshire Tree
It missed and landed in the sea
The fishes got out their dishes
And ate scallops and ballocks for tea.

mckeonj
887409.  Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote

Is there not a similar legend about King Henry VIII?
This old 'nursery rhyme' may refer to it:

I had a little nut tree
Nothing would it bear
Save a silver nutmeg
And a golden pear.

The king of Spain's daughter
Wants to marry me
And all because
Of my little nut tree.

Note to elves:
Some other traditional nursery rhymes can be interpreted as being satirical; e.g. Georgy Porgy, Lucy Locket;
or bawdy; e.g. Goosey Goosey Gander.
I suppose this will have to wait for the N series, but I may not be available in 2018.

nitwit02
887610.  Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote

Nonsense McKeonj - it is your duty to stick around .....

Page 1 of 1