View previous topic | View next topic

Jehovah

Page 1 of 1

thedrew
850785.  Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote

I think the concept of a name that should never be used is fascinating!

It's a name you could be stoned for saying in "The Life of Brian."

It's spelled with an "I" in the Canyon of the Crescent Moon in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."

Rendered YHWH in Hebrew, it's the reason that numbers 15 and 16 (and numbers ending in 15 or 16) are rendered as "9+6" and "9+7" in Hebrew numbering system.

The YHWH rendering is called the tetragrammaton - the oldest "four letter word."

Jehovah's Witnesses often get in trouble for failing to observe holidays or salute national flags. This led one US Supreme Court Justice to joke that they should be given an endowment for all the aid they give in solving legal problems of civil liberties."

HortonHearsAWho
872863.  Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote

thedrew wrote:
Not just in Life of Brian, that used to be Hebrew law, even now jews can't say it, i remember we had a jewish guy in school who refused to sing "Guide me O thou great Jehovah" in assemblies because of that. Also quite interesting it's also "Jeova" in Latin. But why does God have to have a name if everyone knows him as God?

suze
872868.  Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote

Why didn't he just sing "Redeemer" instead? That's the form of the hymn which would come more naturally to me as an RC, since RCs rarely use the Name of God. (Protestant denominations quite often use Jehovah or similar, but RCs generally just call Him God.)

Although in any case, a practising Jewish family would normally exclude its children from Christian school assembly.

HortonHearsAWho
872871.  Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote

we're not a christian school, but the headmaster is so we have to sing hymns

suze
872873.  Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote

In fact, all state schools in England and Wales are required by law to hold an "act of collective worship" on every school day. For schools which are not faith schools (different rules for those), that act of worship is required to be "wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character" and "some elements must accord a special status to Jesus Christ".

This has been the law one way and another since 1870; the current legislation on the matter is the School Standards and Framework Act 1998.

Some recent research carried out for the BBC found that two thirds of schools break the law here; they do not do what they are required to do. Under the previous government, Ofsted often pretended not to notice if a school was failing to meet this obligation. There have been suggestions that from next year it will notice.

Parents have the right to withdraw their children from the act of worship. At most schools, this must be done in writing, and the child is then not allowed to attend. Otherwise, the child is required to attend. (Sixth formers are free to attend or not as they themselves choose. So are teachers.)

HortonHearsAWho
872879.  Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Wow, that really is news to me, not a bad question that actually: "How do 2/3 of Schools break the law every day?" Certainly interesting, and reminds us that the law and the whole society in fact is basically founded on religion (so people shouldn't slag it off as much)

djgordy
873009.  Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quote

They don't break the law every day though as they aren't open every day.

Ameena
873033.  Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote

Every school day then, perhaps?

Spud McLaren
873217.  Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote

HortonHearsAWho wrote:
... the law and the whole society in fact is basically founded on religion (so people shouldn't slag it off as much)
Flawed thinking there, HHAW; all the more reason to slag it off.

plinkplonk
875360.  Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote

HortonHearsAWho wrote:
thedrew wrote:
Not just in Life of Brian, that used to be Hebrew law, even now jews can't say it, i remember we had a jewish guy in school who refused to sing "Guide me O thou great Jehovah" in assemblies because of that. Also quite interesting it's also "Jeova" in Latin. But why does God have to have a name if everyone knows him as God?

Strangely, saying his true name El or Ilu (from when He was a polytheistic god) isn't particularly punished or even mentioned.

JohnSmith
902443.  Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote

HortonHearsAWho wrote:
Also quite interesting it's also "Jeova" in Latin.

Sorry to be contradictory, but since it's spelt and pronounced in various slightly different ways in almost every language (just like most names are), pointing out what it is in Latin isn't really any more interesting than pointing it out in any other language.

Quote:
But why does God have to have a name if everyone knows him as God?

Well, obviously, because not everybody knows him as God. Lots of people in the world are polytheists. And the word 'god' had a considerably extended meaning in the language the Bible was written in -the Bible sometimes refers to other characters (including ordinary humans) as gods, and even Satan is called a god, in 2 Corinthians 4:4.
The greek 'Theos' - translated 'god' - can mean as little as "magistrates and judges". http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/kjv/theos.html

With regard to the comparisons to Life of Brian, and the peculiarity of declaring that you can't say a name (as if there's any other point to a name existing) - I do think it's quite interesting that very recently, the Catholic church has once again done exactly that.

"In liturgical celebrations, in songs and prayers the name of God in the form of the tetragrammaton YHWH is neither to be used or pronounced. For the translation of the biblical text in modern languages... the divine tetragrammaton is to be rendered by the equivalent of Adonai/Kyrios; "Lord," "
Letter to the Bishops Conferences on The Name of God
http://www.adoremus.org/CDW_NameofGod.html

Page 1 of 1