View previous topic | View next topic

QI Quotations

Page 57 of 59
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59  Next

'yorz
657673.  Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote

"The cowpat doesn't fall far from the cow." *)

My Dad

*) He/she is very much like his/her Dad/Mum

zomgmouse
659971.  Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

A great quote, somewhat compromised by the use of the word "stupider". I still like it.

Davini994
661211.  Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:25 am Reply with quote

Victoria Coren wrote:
I moved house after 10 years in the same place, mainly because it was the only way I would ever get round to tidying up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jan/24/divorce

zomgmouse
667633.  Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote

"Existing is plagiarism." - Emil Cioran

zomgmouse
713392.  Fri May 28, 2010 6:38 am Reply with quote

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

Spud McLaren
724055.  Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote

"Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Zebra57
753309.  Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote

I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

austinallegro
758435.  Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acid stains you;
And drugs cause cramp;
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
Might as well live.
-Dorothy Parker.

Bondee
758445.  Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along there and turn the fucker on yourself!

-Sarah Millican repeating some advice that one of her friends gave her just after she separated from her husband.

Jenny
774012.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote

Plus ca change...

“Words had to change their ordinary meaning and to take that which was now given them. Reckless audacity came to be considered the courage of a loyal ally; prudent hesitation, specious cowardice; moderation was held to be a cloak for unmanliness; ability to see all sides of a question, inaptness to act on any. Frantic violence became the attribute of manliness; cautious plotting, a justifiable means of self-defence. The advocate of extreme measures was always trustworthy; his opponent a man to be suspected. To succeed in a plot was to have a shrewd head, to divine a plot a still shrewder; but to try to provide against having to do either was to break up your party and to be afraid of your adversaries.”

Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War, Book III, 3.82-[4]

vampfan
851723.  Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:17 am Reply with quote

"It's not the fart that kills you, it's the smell"
Petter Solberg
(fart is norwegian for speed and smell is norwegian for bang)

Strawberry
911435.  Thu May 24, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote

"The open exchange of ideas, even offensive ones, is the hallmark of a free, democratic society." Peter Tatchell.

'yorz
940689.  Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote

Quote:
That is why it is so important to let certain things go. To release them. To cut loose. People need to understand that no one is playing with marked cards; sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. Don’t expect to get anything back, don’t expect recognition for your efforts, don’t expect your genius to be discovered or your love to be understood. Complete the circle. Not out of pride, inability or arrogance, but simply because whatever it is no longer fits in your life. Close the door, change the record, clean the house, get rid of the dust. Stop being who you were and become who you are.
—Paulo Coehlo

interestinglit
958004.  Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote

'There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.' - W. Somerset Maugham

Bondee
962923.  Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
The line between having a rational discussion and saying things to others that you never meant to say that way is really thin. I have learned a lot about myself losing my temper, I have learned a lot about others holding myself back.

I'm not sure who said it, because the only reference I can find is on the page that I C&P'd it from. It's listed at the end of the lyrics to a track called Quick Temper - Slow Mind by Jungbluth, a hardcore/punk band from Münster, Germany. They are named after Karl Jungbluth, a German communist and anti-fascist resistance fighter during World War Two, so he would be the obvious choice, but I'm not so sure. Can anyone shed any light on it?

Not that anyone gives a shit, but it stuck in my mind because I tend to keep quiet and let the weakeners at work do their bit so everyone else in the workshop can see what evil little bitches they are.

Page 57 of 59
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59  Next