View previous topic | View next topic

Driving Licences

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

JumpingJack
25055.  Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote

This in an email from John Kelly, an excellent man who has just joined us on the outer forum:

Quote:
Another factoid re Chuck Berry, supplied by my friend Brendan Gore, his sometime piano player: Chuck, writer and performer of Maybelline and Driving Along In My Automobile, two of rock n roll's greatest driving anthems, doesn't have a driving licence. That allegedly doesn't deter the old duckwalker from stipulating a Mercedes for him to drive on tour in Europe, to the consternation of all and sundry as he careers around Europe, Italian job style, in a series of near misses between engagements.

geoffo
32600.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:41 am Reply with quote

chuck has a degree in cosmetology

JumpingJack
32602.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:44 am Reply with quote

does he??

Frederick The Monk
32607.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote

According to these people he does - from the Gibbs Beauty School.

The Nashville Songwriters Foundation concur and add that he finished High School whilst in prison.

Frederick The Monk
32608.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:58 am Reply with quote

I don't have a drinving licence either.

Nor am I Chuck Berry.

MatC
32614.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:05 am Reply with quote

Frederick The Monk wrote:
I don't have a drinving licence either.

Nor am I Chuck Berry.

You are a beautician, though, arenít you?

AndyE
34471.  Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote

So who else has risen to prominence despite never learning to drive?

Michael Caine is one that I know of - others?

iano200
34512.  Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote

when johnny vegas was the star in the reasonably priced car on top gear he didnt have a drivers licence and ended up at the time in a few places from the top.

simonp
34843.  Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quote

David Attenborough, I think. It was in a Radio Times interview or something. Hitler couldn't drive either.

RE Johnny Vegas, being able to make a vehicle move and the ability pass a driving test are two very different things :-)

Woodsman
39192.  Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Everyone prior to 1900. Driving a vehicle is an aberration in the development of humans.

Last edited by Woodsman on Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

dr.bob
39236.  Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:33 am Reply with quote

Quite Interestingly there are large numbers of people in the Republic of Ireland that own a driving licence without ever having sat a test.

A friend of mine who lives in Galway told me that, some years ago, the union of driving testers in Ireland went on strike for quite a long time. When they finally agreed a settlement and came back to work, they had a problem. There was a huge backlog of people wanting to take a test and gain their licence, and no hope of the existing manpower being able to cope with it.

The Irish government's solution? Everyone who had held a provisional licence for more than a certain period of time was automatically granted a full driving licence without having to sit a test.

This policy was slightly complicated by the fact that quite a lot of people in Ireland apparently applied for provisional licences without ever intending to learn how to drive. It seems that a provisional licence is simply a useful form of ID in Ireland. So suddenly they had people who'd never had a lesson and never really intended learning how to drive being able to receive a full driving licence.

Needless to say, and the reason my friend was harping on about it, this makes car insurance premiums in Ireland phenomenally expensive.

Cummerbund for Geography
39468.  Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote

Roy Hudd can't drive.

Marc Bolan infamously was a non-driver right up to the day his car ploughed into the tree, with his girlfriend at the wheel.

GlassRat
40145.  Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Quite Interestingly there are large numbers of people in the Republic of Ireland that own a driving licence without ever having sat a test.

My grandparents (who lived in England) never took the test, although both had licences, as they bought their first car before the test was introduced. The story goes that it was two days before they figured out how to change gear on the thing - they'd been going everywhere in 2nd up until then.

Sadly, my grandfather died a few years ago, and my grandmother no longer drives, so I guess the number of people that this applies to will be fairly low.

Flash
40152.  Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote

My grandmoher never learned how to reverse. "They must go back!", she would say.

Natalie
40174.  Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote

I can't wait to get one, although I'm told that you get asked if you would like to donate organs on your application form...is this true?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next