View previous topic | View next topic

Question about how insects breath.

Page 1 of 1

cheese
846882.  Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote

hi! i think i remember on one series that bees and flies make that buzzing sound because of the tubes they use for breathing but im not sure so could clarify for me? thanks x

exnihilo
846883.  Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote

Spiracles

Jenny
846988.  Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Spiracles are how insects breathe, but I don't think are an explanation for the buzzing sound. I think the sound has more to do with wings - you don't hear flies buzzing when they're standing still without their wings beating.

bobwilson
846994.  Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote

You're wrong there Jenny. True - you won't hear flies buzzing when they're standing still - but then how often do you have flies standing still?

The buzzing sound comes from the spiracles (in the same way that the huffing comes from the lung action of an athlete exerting himself). If the athlete (or insect) is at rest then there's no buzzing and no intense breathing.

To get a buzzing sound from the wings would require that the beat of the wings would be far in excess of anything that any insect that I'm aware of could achieve.

Jenny
847004.  Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote

According to this it can be either wings or breathing, but I wouldn't like to guarantee the reliability of the source.

bobwilson
847007.  Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote

I refer you to my

Quote:
To get a buzzing sound from the wings would require that the beat of the wings would be far in excess of anything that any insect that I'm aware of could achieve.

aTao
847015.  Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote

http://www.bumblebee.org/bodyWing.htm

Quotes 130~240 beats per second and a record holding midge (must be a bloody big midge) at 1046, both well within audio range: (buzzing and up to the annoying bitey fly in a tent noise)

Note that any part of an insect that acts as an audio resonant cavity (whistle etc) would produce ultra sonic wavelengths. 1kHz has wavelength of 34.5cm, 100kHz would be 3.4mm (1.7mm half wave cavity) but still a massive structure for an insect.

I would seriously plump for the wings making the noise. The pitch is around wing beat frequency and to include a second set of muscles which make the noise at an audible level is just not a great idea in insect construction.

Gooische Vrijgezel
862318.  Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote

cheese wrote:
i think i remember on one series that bees and flies make that buzzing sound because of the tubes they use for breathing

Series B, episode 8.

Posital
862333.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote

aTao wrote:
I would seriously plump for the wings making the noise. The pitch is around wing beat frequency and to include a second set of muscles which make the noise at an audible level is just not a great idea in insect construction.
Unless it had another function, like to provide those muscles with oxygen... through the spiracles...

Idea? In the mind of an intelligence?

Page 1 of 1