View previous topic | View next topic

Series I, Episode 2: International

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CB27
848060.  Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote

I have to say that's one of the few times I LOLed at one of David Mitchell's jokes as I'm not a fan (too similar a personality to someone who I know very well and drives me up the wall sometimes).

 
Jenny
848091.  Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Yes I loved that one too.

 
Sylvia
848152.  Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:31 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Second best.

The one which caused serious lollage and thigh slapping at our house came when Stephen pointed out Goering next to Goebbels at the far right of the picture.

"Actually, they're all on the far right."

Well, maybe I didn't laugh as much as I should have at that one because I had actually heard it before. :p I agree, it was hilarious the way David Mitchell said it. ;)

 
djgordy
848166.  Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote

plach wrote:
Quote:
We don't actually 'type up' the forfeits, we decide on them before the recording and always stick with the words that we've written beforehand.


I had heard that, but sometimes it is so spot on it's breathtaking. I guess you are just that good.


Ah, but they don't say how many forfeits they write out and never use.

 
CB27
848200.  Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote

On that subject, I wonder how much His Fryness tries to remember before filming starts in terms of what cards he has in front of him. If you look at the start of each show the pile looks absolutely massive (I'm guessing it includes questions, extra details and forfeits).

I have to admit that I'm not totally buying the "we cannot type a message" bit, but that's because of my slightly gung-ho nature. Technically it's easy, but it's about making a decision, and it's up to the producer (Flash?), so I'd guess it's up to him whether he wants an open channel to insert something (a very brave decision for any producer to make as it can ruin filming if done wrong). I think it would have made one of the all time classics if the "Mitchell is a Cock" forfeit had been put up, but then again you can never tell if your sense of humour will come across well to the audience.

 
vantheman
848227.  Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote

Maybe it'd be a good idea to store up Self-Pity Forfeits for all of the regulars and semi-regulars -- "Mitchell Is A Cock," "Anderson Is A Twat," "Lock Is A Gaping Arse" -- just in case. Similarly, one could factor in any references by Jo Brand to her husband or Rob Brydon to his bloody socks. Add in a general one for "Well, how we were supposed to know that!?!?!"

Call it the Self-Luvvie Alarm? ;-)

 
Neotenic
848231.  Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote

Quote:
My main gripe with this episode is the noticeably sycophantic and overenthusiastic audience. Not sure if that's even anyone's fault. The clapping for certain things went on for way too long (especially when Bill said something), and the laughter was often very disproportional to the jokes.


We probably shouldn't forget that audience laughter/applause can also be used as a handy cover for an editing join - so the joke it follows may not necessarily be the joke the audience were reacting to.

 
bobwilson
848489.  Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Quote:
My main gripe with this episode is the noticeably sycophantic and overenthusiastic audience. Not sure if that's even anyone's fault. The clapping for certain things went on for way too long (especially when Bill said something), and the laughter was often very disproportional to the jokes.


We probably shouldn't forget that audience laughter/applause can also be used as a handy cover for an editing join - so the joke it follows may not necessarily be the joke the audience were reacting to.


You mean they're faking it? On Television? Surely not.

 
exnihilo
848572.  Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote

If you play the audience laughter backwards, bob, your can hear the truth about the moon landings.

 
Jenny
848706.  Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote

 
eggshaped
848879.  Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:39 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah, but they don't say how many forfeits they write out and never use.


That's a fair call.

Quote:
I have to admit that I'm not totally buying the "we cannot type a message" bit, but that's because of my slightly gung-ho nature. Technically it's easy, but it's about making a decision, and it's up to the producer (Flash?), so I'd guess it's up to him whether he wants an open channel to insert something (a very brave decision for any producer to make as it can ruin filming if done wrong).


You'd be amazed how inflexible some of the systems we use are - they have 'stacks' of pictures for instance that we have to use in a specific unchangeable order.

Quote:
or the recordings of the next series, if David Mitchell is on, you should make him a "DAVID MITCHELL IS A COCK" forfeit when he's introduced.


A tempting idea, though we do pride ourselves on being the friendliest of panel shows. We'll bear it in mind.

 
eggshaped
848882.  Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote

I've posted a guide to this episode, if anyone wants to learn more about any subject:

http://www.qi.com/qi_quibble_blog/2011/09/a-guide-to-qi-series-i-episode-2-international.html

Might do a quibble blog on the show, there are a couple of minor errors in there - just waiting for confirmation from the elves involved.

 
CB27
848906.  Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote

I was also surprised that considering this was an "international" show, we didn't get any holiday snaps from you I travels :)

 
eggshaped
848911.  Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote

Sadly, apart from Iceland and Istanbul, I didn't get much travelling done last year. Maybe Japan, Jordan and Jamaica this year. :)

 
Ian Dunn
848924.  Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Maybe Japan


Brave thing for a QI researcher to do.

 

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group