View previous topic | View next topic

Series I, Episode 2: International

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

clack
847333.  Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote

Excellent episode. Entertaining topics, good panelist chemistry, the jokes unforced, the conversational flow relaxed.

Looking forward to the XL version.

djgordy
847361.  Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote

The Scottish journalist Murial Grey, who used to be "The Tube" and "The Media Show" once published a fashion guide for men. "Men", she said, "don't bother growing a moustache, just write 'dickhead" across your forehead instead". It is hard to disagree.

Ameena
847401.  Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:37 am Reply with quote

I liked this episode too - it felt all sort of...I dunno, relaxed and stuff, and it was indeed Quite Interesting, and there were loads of funny bits and stuff :).

suze
847402.  Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote

By a slightly annoying coincidence, I already knew the main points of the answer to the question about landing airplanes. That's because I recently read a book by James May called How to land an A330 Airbus.

By a less annoying coincidence, Captain Slow and Captain Fry pretty much concurred. If autopilot is engaged and the airplane has the capability to land by autopilot, you have a sporting chance. From memory, the main bit that the autopilot can't do on its own is to put the wheels down at the appropriate time.

Otherwise, now might be a good time to remember how the Lord's Prayer goes.

vantheman
847521.  Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote

I agree with just about everyone here that this was a good, solid, fun episode. One niggle, though: Really, shouldn't this have been the series opener, rather than "I-Spy"? This one had the introduction of the "Nobody Knows" bit which the panel was curiously reminded about last week. Just a slight David Mitchell-up in the continuity.

(I know, probably the BBC's boo-boo rather than QI's, but a bit odd.)

Curious: that had to be David's lowest score ever last night, non? By a long shot, I suspect.

Jenny
847561.  Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote

I enjoyed this episode, at least partly because the interestingness ratio was a bit higher than it has been on occasion. I genuinely felt I had learned something (even though I'd read the research as it was being done) and the panel's reactions to it were great.

CB27
847580.  Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote

I know it was researched and filmed before I wrote it on my site, but the last fact on the XL version sounded familiar :)

http://chetyod.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/why-the-americans-didnt-salute-hitler/

Ian Dunn
847582.  Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote

Interesting XL edition. I especially liked the info about promoting Kaiser Wilhelm and Emperor Hirohito to senior ranks in the British army. Was there any other problematic leaders we gave army ranks to - I know that we were close to Idi Amin.

sjb
847585.  Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote

CB--I watched XL tonight with SpousalUnit and our landlord. For a moment they thought I was a bit bright, but I confessed from whence I gained the knowledge. :)

sjb
847586.  Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote

PS: I did know the bit about Jesse Owens and FDR, though. So not all is lost.

bobwilson
847690.  Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
My main gripe with this episode is the noticeably sycophantic and overenthusiastic audience. Not sure if that's even anyone's fault. The clapping for certain things went on for way too long (especially when Bill said something), and the laughter was often very disproportional to the jokes.
And I know this sounds ridiculous, but it was jarring.

Not my gripe - just reporting what others have said - and they all said what zomg says above. If we have to have a 30 minute version then can the 15 minutes cut be the unnecessary applause and leave in the interesting bits?

plach
847691.  Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
We don't actually 'type up' the forfeits, we decide on them before the recording and always stick with the words that we've written beforehand.

I had heard that, but sometimes it is so spot on it's breathtaking. I guess you are just that good.

Quote:
or the recordings of the next series, if David Mitchell is on, you should make him a "DAVID MITCHELL IS A COCK" forfeit when he's introduced.

I agree, that would be quite amusing.

David Mitchell and Bill Bailey were lots of fun tonight. Bill's
nobody knows' call about the scoring was great. I'm glad that he received points for that.
Can't wait for more!

nitwit02
847709.  Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote

Exellent episode!

In the flight segment, I have a feeling that the word Purser would have been more appropriate than Burser.

Sylvia
847916.  Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
My main gripe with this episode is the noticeably sycophantic and overenthusiastic audience. Not sure if that's even anyone's fault. The clapping for certain things went on for way too long (especially when Bill said something), and the laughter was often very disproportional to the jokes.

But I thought Bill's "nobody knows" joke definitely deserved an enthusiastic applause. I thought it was the best joke on the show.

suze
848022.  Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Second best.

The one which caused serious lollage and thigh slapping at our house came when Stephen pointed out Goering next to Goebbels at the far right of the picture.

"Actually, they're all on the far right."

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next