View previous topic | View next topic

Homosexual behaviour in Animals

Page 1 of 1

sambeau
846038.  Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote

Q: What is the gayest animal?

A: The Giraffe.

94% of sexual activity in male Giraffes is homosexual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

Lots of risqué fun to be had here as well as a great opportunity to educate the public about how common homosexuality is in birds and mammals (and bed bugs - but who can blame them).

sambeau
846039.  Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote

This story about a gay penguin couple is delightful:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2009/06/05/gay-penguins-adopt005.html

aTao
846077.  Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote

Not just homosexual but inter species and "wrong end", under age and much much more fun on the farm yard. I was quite amused when some bloke of the cloth said gay marriage was not natural. Best go tell that to the real birds and bees.

Sadurian Mike
846105.  Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote

How much of the homosexual activity observed in animals is actual homosexual in the sense that it is a preferred sexual activity, and how much is simple dominance?

I don't doubt that homosexuality exists in the animal kingdom, but I do doubt that 94% of giraffes are actually gay in the human sense.

CB27
846126.  Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote

The more lenient members of Catholicism and other religions accept gay relationships as long as they are not sexual. It seems their argument is it's OK to have a bromance (what's the female equivalent?), just not have sexual relations.

In animals you have to distinguish between homosexual sex in species which are promiscuous or monogamous. For the former there is not much difference between any type of sex, but for the latter it's worth observing whether the relationships betweek males are different as opposed to between the two sexes. There is plenty of evidence showing animals that have a homosexual relationship, but as Mike points out, I wonder how many other displays of homosexuality in animals are for other motives.

iamannoying.com
846133.  Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote

Right, bulls will (try to) have sex with other bulls, but that has more to do with the cows being in another field than with true love or penetration. Let's call it position practice, if needed they'll penetrate anything with a hole.

Gays are "born that way". Perhaps gay animals could be required to have the same relevant brain structures, and it's unlikely most animals are truely aware of being male of female.

sambeau
846152.  Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
How much of the homosexual activity observed in animals is actual homosexual in the sense that it is a preferred sexual activity

In tests with rams (in Texas no less) they would present them with tied up males and females. Some male sheep would consistently choose males over fertile females.

AlmondFacialBar
846317.  Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote

sambeau wrote:
This story about a gay penguin couple is delightful:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2009/06/05/gay-penguins-adopt005.html

W00t w00t, my local zoo! :-D And, btw, that means gay penguins have more rights in Germany than gay humans, who are only allowed to adopt under very limited circumstances.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

iamannoying.com
846320.  Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote

There's a difference between having sex and being homosexual.

The rams may just have illustrated that the female resisted the activity at that time, while the rams may have had no associations with sex and allowed the meaningless activities. In other words, there was a female present at the occasion, but there wasn't a female "available".

Again in other words, regarding men: do you get a hard one if you see another naked man, or did you already have a hard one when you were in prison and hadn't had sex with a woman in 6 years and a rubber woman isn't an allowed toy? Situation 1: gay. Situation 2: sex.

Alfred E Neuman
846366.  Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
I don't doubt that homosexuality exists in the animal kingdom, but I do doubt that 94% of giraffes are actually gay in the human sense.

Have you seen their eyelashes?

iamannoying.com
846370.  Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:28 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:

I'm not into that, sorry.

Sadurian Mike
846517.  Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:

And their tongues...!

More for gay females, I guess.

Which leads me to asking, if 94% of male giraffes are gay, does the same percentage apply to females? Are there giraffe lesbians? Do they even make dungarees that big?

aTao
846541.  Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote

iamannoying.com wrote:
Right, bulls will (try to) have sex with other bulls, but that has more to do with the cows being in another field than with true love or penetration. Let's call it position practice, if needed they'll penetrate anything with a hole..

Bulls very rarely meet and mounting one another is most unlikely, they are usually too busy trying to kill each other. You are probably referring to steers, thats castrated male cattle, they do not have erections and so cannot penetrate anything, nor should they desire to. What I was referring to was heifers and cows bulling, even a 6 month old heifer mounting the wrong end of a pig.

iamannoying.com
846567.  Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote

aTao wrote:
iamannoying.com wrote:
Right, bulls will (try to) have sex with other bulls, but that has more to do with the cows being in another field than with true love or penetration. Let's call it position practice, if needed they'll penetrate anything with a hole.

Bulls very rarely meet and mounting one another is most unlikely, they are usually too busy trying to kill each other. You are probably referring to steers, thats castrated male cattle, they do not have erections and so cannot penetrate anything, nor should they desire to.

I remember it were young, guesstimated 6-9 months old, double-muscled heavy shouldered bulls (I'm not an expert, I don't know the common age when a castration takes place), like:

If those bulls weren't castrated when they were calfs (not older than a few weeks), then I'm pretty sure the bulls (destination: the abatoir) weren't castrated when I saw 'em.

In this case cows weren't in the area at all, the field was located in the funny middle of nowhere. A field located on a real penisland, PEN Island, i.e. not the website "penisland.net" used in QI series E, episode 9.

A cow "pushing another cow" isn't that uncommon too. I saw it at least once today, and I don't see cows every day:

brylle28
866696.  Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:38 am Reply with quote

Any researchers have described homosexuality as something altogether different from sex. They must realise that animals can have sex with who they will, when they will and without consideration to a researcher's ethical principles". Homosexual behavior is found amongst social birds and mammals, particularly the sea mammals and the primates.

Page 1 of 1