View previous topic | View next topic

Wot Do D's Have In Common?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

laidbacklazyman
37590.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:49 am Reply with quote

Ike was the first president to be limited to only serving 2 terms, All others previous to him were allowed to stand as many times as they liked until Franklin D. Roosevelt. The only reason why they stood for just 2 terms was because of the precedent set by Washington.

Following FDR was Truman and during his presidency the 22nd amendment was passed restricting the terms to the current 2.

Incidentally should George Dubya and President Cheney become incapacitated in any way, impeachment for example the guy at the top of the tree is J. Dennis Hastert. Possibley the third most powerful man in the world and has anyone heard of him?

BobTheScientist
37591.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:51 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Well I knew it, phrased like that. I wonder if there's a different way to phrase it though.

Associatively? What do Nebraska, Silver, Peacock and Buckler have in common and what's the fifth?

QI Individual
37592.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:13 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Well I knew it, phrased like that. I wonder if there's a different way to phrase it though.

I was aware that with all da D's it might be a bit too much of a clue.
Later I realised that with a little obfuscation it would be possible to hide the answer better by phrasing it a bit more like this.

Why is the 79th element Gold of special importance to the 45th US state Utah and Omaha, the largest city of the state Nebraska?

Since Omaha beach is probably the best known name in this context, in order to avoid it's name triggering the mind it is now hidden in the middle of the sentence between a lot of other words/information. Both at the front or at the end of the sentence the name lingers in the mind longer which makes it easier to make the right connection.

D-Day refers to such a vast area of information that it would give ample opportunity for follow up.

Flash
37602.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:42 am Reply with quote

We try not to ask 'cryptic' questions as such - the function of the question is to introduce the topic, and if it doesn't either do that or give any scope for an entertaining (though wrong) answer, it generally turns out to be a dead end.

EG the function of a question about D-day would be to say, basically: "Let's talk about D-day", not to conceal the fact that that's what we want to talk about.

There have been exceptions, but we have normally repented of them.

BTW, I like the question about Dennis Hastert, who is 2nd in line to succeed the President by virtue of his role as Speaker of the House. In a Fox News Sunday interview with Chris Wallace in August 2004 he had this to say about George Soros, a contributor to the Democratic Party's campaign funds:
Quote:
HASTERT: Here in this campaign, quote, unquote, "reform," you take party power away from the party, you take the philosophical ideas away from the party, and give them to these independent groups.

You know, I don't know where George Soros gets his money. I don't know where—if it comes overseas or from drug groups or where it comes from. And I—

WALLACE (interrupting): Excuse me?

HASTERT: Well, that's what he's been for a number years—George Soros has been for legalizing drugs in this country. So, I mean, he's got a lot of ancillary interests out there.

WALLACE: You think he may be getting money from the drug cartel?

HASTERT: I'm saying I don't know where groups—could be people who support this type of thing. I'm saying we don't know. The fact is we don't know where this money comes from.

djgordy
37605.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote

We cannot allow this thread to go forward without mentioning the great crossword clue panic of 1944.

Leonard Dawe was a crossword compiler for the Daily Telegraph. In the weeks prior to D-day answers to clues he provided included:

Utah (one of the beaches)
Omaha (another beach)
Juno (yet another beach)
Gold (guess what? another beach!)
Sword (that makes 5 beaches out of 5)
Overlord (the codename for the invasion)
Mulberry (the name of the floating harbours that were to be towed over to Normandy)
Neptune (the code name for the naval support for the operation).

As a result of his base treason Mr. Dawe was sentenced to life in the Tower of London on a diet of bread and water.

Oh, hold on, that last bit is wrong. It was actually decided that the whole thing was a coincidence.

However, later on it emerged that it was something more than mere chance. What actually appears to have happened is that Mr. Dawes was a school master and he got his pupils to fill in the blank crossword grids, to which he would then make up the clues. One of the pupils, Ronald French, use to hang around the local army camp and picked up the words from the American and Canadian soldiers. He then inserted the words into the blank grids. The code words were quite well known but the actual locations they referred to were a secret.

Last edited by djgordy on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:43 am; edited 3 times in total

Flash
37607.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:01 am Reply with quote

I'd forgotten that story. Is it 'safe', do we think? ie, is there a good source?

djgordy
37610.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:29 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
I'd forgotten that story. Is it 'safe', do we think? ie, is there a good source?

Here is a reference from the Daily Telegraph itself:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/05/03/nxword03.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/05/03/ixnewstop.html

Flash
37614.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:10 am Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks. The clue for the word 'Utah' is 'one of the US'. I don't understand it, I must say, unless it just means 'one of the united states', which seems a bit feeble as the answer could just as well be 'Ohio', say.

djgordy
37618.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:24 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Excellent, thanks. The clue for the word 'Utah' is 'one of the US'. I don't understand it, I must say, unless it just means 'one of the united states', which seems a bit feeble as the answer could just as well be 'Ohio', say.

Don't forget there was a war on. Crossword clues were rationed just like chocolate and nylons. Oh I added some more info to my original post regarding the real origin of the suspicious answers.

QI Individual
37634.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:34 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
We try not to ask 'cryptic' questions as such - the function of the question is to introduce the topic, and if it doesn't either do that or give any scope for an entertaining (though wrong) answer, it generally turns out to be a dead end.

EG the function of a question about D-day would be to say, basically: "Let's talk about D-day", not to conceal the fact that that's what we want to talk about.

There have been exceptions, but we have normally repented of them.

But then, as I understand it, D-Day itself cannot be an answer anymore but whatever answer there will be must also be (closeley related to) a D-word.

You can understand the appeal of D-Day as an answer in the D-series. To avoid it being too obvious you'd have to phrase the question in a way that would prevent that. A lot of other questions could be asked where the answer would be (related to) D-Day of course.

Flash
37637.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:09 am Reply with quote

Well ... I didn't explain that very well. The answer can be D-Day but the question needs to contain something they can work with even if they don't know that. Basically we try to avoid questions which are only interesting once you know the answer.

QI Individual
37641.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Well ... I didn't explain that very well. The answer can be D-Day but the question needs to contain something they can work with even if they don't know that. Basically we try to avoid questions which are only interesting once you know the answer.

Of course I am/was aware that the question does not give maximum scope for funny reactions. I was just attracted to it as a particularly nice D-answer and the vast room for QI follow up.

With a different question attached it might still be a useable subject.

djgordy
37646.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote

Round Britian Quiz on Radio 4 (if it's still going) has almost impenetrably cryptic questions.

In this case it is interesting that the boy who supplied the suspicious answers was called French, since the whole thing was about the invasion of France.

Flash
37687.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
With a different question attached it might still be a useable subject.
Yes indeed.

JumpingJack
37707.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote

Flash,

"One of the US".

The double meaning is "one of the United States" and "one of the class of things beginning with U".

Not difficult, admittedly, but not that bad either,

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next